Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
23.27%
26.12%
29.39%
10.20%
4.90%
2.45%
1.22%
0.41%
0%
0.41%
1.22%
What are you high?
0.41%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-15, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 739 Likes on 541 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Creed:Rocky what Force Awakens:A New Hope
Old 12-20-15, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 921 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
How much damage did Lucas cause to the Star Wars fans? Enough to make them remake the original '77 film:
Important data stored in a droid
Character who wants to break free from a lonely life in a desert
Stormtrooper massacre
Cantina scene
Death star blowing up a planet
Big character-sacrifice
Weak lightsaber fight

Did this movie even have a composer? It just sounded like someone played a mixtape that had the force theme, love theme and Leia's theme on it. At least the prequels tried and succeeded with new, great music.

J.J.'s uninteresting designs for alien creatures continues once again. Not just involving another particular giant, tentacled monster, but the design for Lupita's character who seemed to be a better fit for J.J.'s Trek universe (Loved her voice though)

What incredibly bland lands we saw here. I liked Jakku (I guess the main difference between this and Tatooine is that the sand dunes are little bit steeper here) but I was not taken to a "Galaxy far, far away" with this installment. Movies, by this point, have proved that you CAN have an actor who can act great in front of a greenscreen. I'm guessing that everyone is just too shellshocked to bring a greenscreen in for a new Star Wars movie.

Did I hate this movie? No. Despite the all-too familiar scenarios, I still didn't get bored. I just really, REALLY hope we get an original Star Wars movie the next time.

Old 12-20-15, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,160 Likes on 906 Posts

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
I never understood this argument as who's to say the two groups in any example situation are comprised of the same people. As to the noticeable differences...
Okay fair enough point that I was generalizing on that but let's not kid ourselves and say that wasn't a fairly common complaint against the Prequel Trilogy (amongst many other things but them not being in line with the original films was a big one). Obviously not everyone who doesn't like the similarities between the new film and the Original Trilogy felt that way about the Prequel Trilogy but I think it's reasonable to assume that a good number of them did.

Last edited by Mike86; 12-20-15 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-20-15, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Okay fair enough point that I was generalizing on that but let's not kid ourselves and say that wasn't a fairly common complaint against the Prequel Trilogy (amongst many other things but them not being in line with the original films was a big one). Obviously not everyone who doesn't like the similarities between the new film and the Original Trilogy felt that way about the Prequel Trilogy but I think it's reasonable to assume that a good number of them did.
Even so, there's a big difference between people wishing the Prequel Trilogy was more like the Original trilogy in aspects such as tone, acting, story, effects, or whatever else versus The Force Awakens basically reusing many of the same plot points and structure directly from A New Hope. I don't think the comparison is that similar, even though I don't agree with everything Mondo Kane or that graphic lists.
Old 12-20-15, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 104 Posts

I don't think we'll never see CG used for environments or creatures (they already used some in this film). I think it's more just to not over rely on having practically everything be CG unless there's a real need for it. Some landscapes and creatures just won't work well using entirely practical effects so it makes sense to use CG. Its a fine tool if used right but Lucas proved with the prequels that it can also be detrimental if relied on too much.
To this day, I still think Davey Jones' tentacles from Pirates/Caribbean (Dead Man's Chest, at least) is proof that CG is capable of faking out viewers that they aren't looking at practical FX. The opportunity is there to make a landmark creature for this new Star Wars universe, it just appears that (Nowdays) everyone who's on board for a new Star Wars film isn't allowed to completely rely on a computer...Unless good ol' mo-cap is involved.

As far as the forbidding on CG enviroments/landscapes go, people don't even know that David Fincher used plenty of greenscreen for Zodiac. C'mon, if you can give us a convincing late-60's/early-70s Bay Area, you can convincingly take us to another planet. I'm a tremendous fan of 70's era cinema, but I really hope that those involved in directing future SW films will not completely rely on natural photography to finish this current phase of STAR WARS, for f-k's sake.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Rey's teeth bothered me. Her uppers are capped or she just has a really giant overbite. It was distracting. I'd fuck her, though, but she's got a Napoleon Dynamite gape going.
I saw her on the replay of Kimmel last night. She certainly has a mouthful of teeth, for sure. Just be thankful that you won't see her give a gigantic smile in future movies. Non-SW, at least.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 12-20-15 at 02:33 AM.
Old 12-20-15, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 921 Posts

I will say that I also liked the Supreme Leader's look but he was way too CGI'd even though he had Serkis' great voice behind him. The texture was off. It's weird, because I saw plenty of practical effects/monsters in there. Oh, and the dudes from The Raid were cool in their little cameos. I did miss the Daniel Craig cameo but i had to take a piss twice during the film. I had two pints from BJs, so that was the culprit.
Old 12-20-15, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,160 Likes on 906 Posts

To this day, I still think Davey Jones' tentacles from Pirates/Caribbean (Dead Man's Chest, at least) is proof that CG is capable of faking out viewers that they aren't looking at practical FX. The opportunity is there to make a landmark creature for the Star Wars universe, it just appears that (Nowdays) everyone who's on board for new Star Wars films isn't allowed to completely rely on a computer...Unless good ol' mo-cap is involved.

As far as the forbidding on CG landscapes go, people don't even know that David Fincher used plenty of greenscreen for Zodiac. C'mon, if you can give us a convincing 70's Bay Area, you can convincingly take us to another planet. I'm a tremendous fan of 70's era cinema, but I strongly encourage today's technology to not rely on natural photography to complete this current phase for STAR WARS, for f-k's sake.
I'm not disagreeing with you for the most part. All I was saying is to not over rely on using it. I think part of the new film was about going back to basics and it worked but I don't think Disney is forbidding the franchise from using CG at all. Certain things just make more sense to use it. It's more just about not using it for everything when some things can be done with practical effects. Just because the technology is there and can be done well doesn't mean that the films have to be made using CG entirely. That's pretty much what happened with the Prequel Trilogy and while the technology has gotten better it still doesn't need to be used for everything.

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Even so, there's a big difference between people wishing the Prequel Trilogy was more like the Original trilogy in aspects such as tone, acting, story, effects, or whatever else versus The Force Awakens basically reusing many of the same plot points and structure directly from A New Hope. I don't think the comparison is that similar, even though I don't agree with everything Mondo Kane or that graphic lists.
Fair points. I guess I was generalizing but I just find it bothersome that some are acting as though the new film is too reliant on the Original Trilogy and don't give it credit for being it's own thing with elements of familiarity. Reading through the thread again it's really only a handful of people here. I've read similar complaints other places and was jumbling things together I guess.

Last edited by Mike86; 12-20-15 at 02:15 AM.
Old 12-20-15, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
i had to take a piss twice during the film. I had two pints from BJs, so that was the culprit.
you drank a bunch of cum before Star Wars?
Old 12-20-15, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Had a blast watching this. Very fun experience. Good to all the familiar faces again including Ford, Fisher, Mayhew and even the brief cameo of Hamill.

Loved Ridley and Boyega as Rey and Finn. I think they were perfectly set up as the new lead faces of the series going forward.

The way Luke was brought back makes me think he will serve as an Obi Wan Kenobi type role in the next film to help Rey develop her skills using the Force. Yeah I was a little disappointed Luke was a non-speaking cameo, but hopefully it helps set him up in a more active presence in episode 8.

Overall I felt like this had a lot of chemistry and charm the prequels lacked. Look forward to seeing episode 8 and the standalone films in the future. Hopefully the future creative teams for these movies keeps it up.
Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee
Loved it. Goes back to the more human scale of Star Wars and Empire, but with much better performances. Harrison Ford in particular wore his role like a pair of comfortable old jeans. May even go see it in the theater again, which is not something I do often.

Right on, folks. Star Wars is BACK!!! Enjoyed the hell out of it, despite that it wasn't grand or epic in scale.

Love the new characters. Leia wasn't much, but Han Solo was great. Still would have liked to have Han and Luke in one last scene together. They could have made that happen before Han retired to play Ally McBeal's dad in that reboot.
Old 12-20-15, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Look, I do agree that Force Awakens is a well-crafted film. But it's as if someone did a checklist of how NOT to make this film in comparison to the prequels. A heavy eye was on hand to fix the complaints about casting,acting,dialogue, the handling of special fx and the storylines that the Star Wars fans are at home with.
AND that's why it's well-received and also why most of us really like it. Going off in some new direction would have been a terrible decision.

It's like the really good band's 4th album where they try to be different and artistic, and they land with a thud.

Sometimes it's best to go with what got you there.
Old 12-20-15, 03:04 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Setzer
I agree with you there, that last show was pretty fucking cool....probably one of the best ending shots of any of the Star Wars movies.
Originally Posted by OldBoy
fucking epic. brilliant, just brilliant.

JJ did something GL could never do with the prequels...bring coherence and balance and an understandable storyline. not bloated or self-referential. relatable characters that you care about. just perfectly executed!!

that last shot was fucking epic!!

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I would've either cut the film off after Rey and Luke look at each other for ten seconds, or have Luke force-pull the saber into his hand, but that helicopter shot needed to go.
Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
In hindsight Id rather them leave Luke out of this one and roll credits when they blast into hyperspace. The last shot felt like a Family Guy "linger too long on the joke" shot.
Originally Posted by Mabuse
Yeah, I didn't love the helicopter shot either. I don't think there's a single one in any other SW film. It felt out of place.
yeah. The ending is kind of wonky. It w/ the music and everything leading to hyperspace. Would have been it to end there. It doesn't. It leads to Rey walking to find Skywalker. And it's awkward almost. And then it goes to Rey handing the lightsaber. A good nice powerful shot of the hand in the foreground and Rey behind it. The music is going. Rey is doing this super serious as fuck act. And then the helicopter shot. Which totally just kills the emotion. It would have been so much more stronger to cut to black on Rey than continue on w/ her still having her hand out in the same gesture w/ the helicopter shot.
Old 12-20-15, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Going off in some new direction would have been a terrible decision.
How about the sith, at least? Sidious/Palpatine got as Pimp as things could get. A decieving, lethal warrior who made himself a political figure. Manipulated enough power to make him lord of the galaxy. Got destroyed in ROTJ. End of that sith's story.

And who was Palp's apprentice? A fleet commander who was mostly found on Star Destroyers that often flew an ST 321 (Or a remodeled one for a new era) to complete missions that were ordered to him (Via hologram) from an even greater admirer of the dark side. Does that sound familiar for the 2010s as well?

I just wish we could, for once, see a sith who wasn't involved with any sort of totalitarian army. There was a chance to make things different. A new arc of storytelling involving a famous line of cinematic bad guys. But oh well.

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 12-20-15 at 03:26 AM.
Old 12-20-15, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Why did she give that big, LONG thought about not exchanging BB for money then? She initially wanted to get the f**k outta there. Looks like the force suddenly spoke to her.
She wasn't trading scraps of metal or BB8 in your example for money. Those were food packets. The green biscuits.
Old 12-20-15, 03:21 AM
Banned

And it wasn't the force either. It was her not wanting to give BB-8 away cuz she's not a dick. I did like the shot during that where it's on BB-8 and he's kind of wondering wtf is going to happen there.

-------------------------

<iframe width="660" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/K2ScVx4mRDE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Solid Snake; 12-20-15 at 03:28 AM.
Old 12-20-15, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Alright, it was food then (That instant-making kind) Not money as I originally thought. You have to realize that I thought I was being blinded by watching A NEW HOPE again.
Old 12-20-15, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Movie was good. 4/5.

I thought the battle scenes were great. Lots of detail on the ships.
Old 12-20-15, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I just think it's a silly argument to have when one of the main complaints against the Prequel Trilogy is that they weren't enough like the Original Trilogy. Plus as I've mentioned the film is structured similarly but it's really not exactly the same and has noticeable differences.
The complaints that the prequels weren't like the OT had more to do with convoluted plot structure and an absence of warm, relatable protagonists -- not because the storylines weren't a warmed-over rehash. If Lucas had put characters like Rey, Finn and Poe at the center of the prequels, the fans would have been much more accepting of those movies. I also think an actor like Adam Driver would have made a more convincing Anakin.

Last edited by joe_b; 12-20-15 at 04:38 AM.
Old 12-20-15, 04:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Went to see for a third time, this time in IMAX 3-D at the Metreon in San Francisco, CA.

The crowd was just as great as the first 2 screenings I attended. I wish every movie theater crowd for every film was as quiet at ones filled with Star Wars fans.

It was my first time seeing an IMAX film at this theater since they got setup with 4K Digital Laser Projection. Looked gorgeous!
Old 12-20-15, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

I remember reading a rumor that George's treatment for Episode VII involved Han and Leia's kids making a pilgrimage up a giant mountain to train with uncle Luke -- who was basically a Buddah figure at this point. When Rey looked up at all those stairs, my mind immediately went back to that scenario... and for some reason I was reminded of Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yWhJcFMesh4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Spoiler:
It was a bit on the nose to have him just standing there in the open at that exact spot with his back turned to her... the staging of it felt awkward.
Old 12-20-15, 05:18 AM
Banned

Yeah. It was just too obvious of a set up.
Old 12-20-15, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How could he not have sensed her arrival?
Old 12-20-15, 06:01 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
How could he not have sensed her arrival?
He did, he just thought it'd be cool to turn around at the right moment. Force jokes, or something.
Old 12-20-15, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

It's obvious to me after a second viewing, that Luke activated R2 once Rey awakened with the force. R2 was able to finish the map, for Rey to find him. Who ever she is, she was important enough to be hidden after the raid on the school.

It's no different than Kenobi waiting for Luke to be ready for training, Luke was waiting for Rey.

It seems like the Jedi always fall back and regroup.
Old 12-20-15, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 175 Posts

Why did she give that big, LONG thought about not exchanging BB for money then? She initially wanted to get the f**k outta there. Looks like the force suddenly spoke to her.
No. She never wanted to leave Jakku. When she did leave, all she talked about was going back.

The was never offered money for BB-8. Those were food packets.
Old 12-20-15, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brack
He did, he just thought it'd be cool to turn around at the right moment. Force jokes, or something.
I kept waiting for Rey to say, "Well? How long are you going to make me stand here with my hand out holding your light sword thingy?"

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.