Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
23.27%
26.12%
29.39%
10.20%
4.90%
2.45%
1.22%
0.41%
0%
0.41%
1.22%
What are you high?
0.41%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-16, 08:59 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I am just glad that Chewie looked like Chewie. I never did understand what exactly they did tohis hair on ROTJ but he just never looked right to me in that film.
The same could be said of Han Solo in RotJ.

Though nothing is worse than Marty McFly's hair in the BttF sequels. It was too long compared to the original.
Old 01-01-16, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Though nothing is worse than Marty McFly's hair in the BttF sequels. It was too long compared to the original.
In the midst of trying to solve problems of timelines and alternate futures he's supposed to stop at Supercuts?
Old 01-01-16, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by GuessWho
In the midst of trying to solve problems of timelines and alternate futures he's supposed to stop at Supercuts?
He would have no need to stop at Supercuts. His hair was shorter at the end of BttF compared to the beginning of Part II. Really bad continuity error if you ask me.
Old 01-01-16, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Agree on Chewbacca. I forgot how much I loved that character. I thought he was used brilliantly throughout.

Amazing that George's dog helped inspire both the "great Chewbacca" and Indiana Jones.
Old 01-01-16, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Question about Han's death: right after Ren/Ben stabs him what is said? I can't understand the dialog.
"Sorry, I work... Solo."

Puts on sunglasses

YEEEEAAAHHHH!
Old 01-01-16, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

He would have no need to stop at Supercuts. His hair was shorter at the end of BttF compared to the beginning of Part II. Really bad continuity error if you ask me.
Never noticed that... and it looks pretty hard to tell here..

Last edited by ntnon; 01-01-16 at 10:30 AM.
Old 01-01-16, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Seriously... not enough can be said for Chewie. That was the greatest bit of development for anyone. Not saying Rey and Finn weren't great cuz they were but we've had Chewie for 4 films (3 w/ actual character value and development value to a point). Just to see him react that way w/ losing Han was amazing. He fucking snapped. And he was taking everyone that he could down. Han's boy or not, Chewie wanted to kill Ren.
The absolutely best moment in the entire film. It's worth rewatching just for that.
Old 01-01-16, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
The New York Times weighs in today with a piece on Lucas' criticism of the new film:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/31/mo...ef=todayspaper
didn't take him very long to detract his remarks right? Ol' George seems to have sellers remorse.
Old 01-01-16, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't understand George's angle. And he mentions that he didn't think his "experimental" films could sustain the company, but then states he was getting ready to do the sequel trilogy himself and had the stories ready. He isn't making sense. It's sad.
Old 01-01-16, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The retro comment is similarly baffling. The whole idea behind both Star Wars and Indiana Jones was that they were retro, intended to harken back to the serials of his youth.
Old 01-01-16, 01:07 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Seriously... not enough can be said for Chewie. That was the greatest bit of development for anyone. Not saying Rey and Finn weren't great cuz they were but we've had Chewie for 4 films (3 w/ actual character value and development value to a point). Just to see him react that way w/ losing Han was amazing. He fucking snapped. And he was taking everyone that he could down. Han's boy or not, Chewie wanted to kill Ren.
you know, i remember this in retrospect and yes, it was a fantastic reaction and scene by him. his expressions and mannerisms in the whole movie were great.
Old 01-01-16, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

He probably is regretting the 4 billion he got and wished he asked for more after seeing the new movie's returns.
Old 01-01-16, 01:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

eh, George Lucas can suck it! Long live JJ.
Old 01-01-16, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Troy Stiffler posed this in the pics thread in Other but I thought it deserved mention here.

Pretty funny!

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Saw this on Carrie Fisher's Twitter...

Old 01-01-16, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
The absolutely best moment in the entire film. It's worth rewatching just for that.
I though they messed this up at the end. When they returned to base did anyone else notice how Chewbacca and Leia just walked right by each other like nothing happened? Not even a sad soulful gaze between the two or a hug with Chewy howling at the sky but Leia goes on the hug it out with someone she just met?
Old 01-01-16, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by ntnon
Never noticed that... and it looks pretty hard to tell here..
Old 01-01-16, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Also, the car, windows and plants behind them are different. And Jennifer changed into a completely different person!
Old 01-01-16, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Manco
I though they messed this up at the end. When they returned to base did anyone else notice how Chewbacca and Leia just walked right by each other like nothing happened? Not even a sad soulful gaze between the two or a hug with Chewy howling at the sky but Leia goes on the hug it out with someone she just met?
That takes me out of the movie every time. Granted, most of the audience is too invested in Rey's journey to notice. The scene provides some emotional closure for her character... but looking at it from Leia's perspective, it doesn't make a lick of sense. Han was the love of her life and Chewie was his closest ally for 40+ years. Forget eye contact, they just pass each other like complete strangers. What the hell?
Old 01-01-16, 07:19 PM

That has to be the most unflattering haircut for Elisabeth Shue I've ever seen. Just terrible.
Old 01-01-16, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by joe_b
That takes me out of the movie every time. Granted, most of the audience is too invested in Rey's journey to notice. The scene provides some emotional closure for her character... but looking at it from Leia's perspective, it doesn't make a lick of sense. Han was the love of her life and Chewie was his closest ally for 40+ years. Forget eye contact, they just walks past each other like complete strangers. What the hell?
Chewing stayed with Fin and the medical team. I guess maybe Rey and Leia were having a Force moment, but Chewie is left out again.
Old 01-01-16, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by JeremyM
I don't understand George's angle. And he mentions that he didn't think his "experimental" films could sustain the company, but then states he was getting ready to do the sequel trilogy himself and had the stories ready. He isn't making sense. It's sad.
The recent interviews/comments suggested (to me) that his reported timeline went:
(1) look for partners/money to make experiments/sequels;
(2) Disney make "offer he can't refuse" to outright buy everything rather than partner;
(3) he agrees to sell;
(3.5, 4) they agree he'll consult and he turns over existing/puts down on paper ideas for the sequels;
(5) Disney read and politely reject them but casually still invite him to stay on as consultant;
(6) he EITHER reads between the lines OR acts aggrieved (perhaps rightly, or perhaps completely over-reacts) and decides/feels he's been requested to step aside completely.

And then (7) he realises he completely regrets taking the offer.

Which, if there were a theoretical caveat, an assumption or a misleading pseudo-promise that the buyout was broadly to make the films he'd thought to make... is not an unlikely regret. That's kind of the point of "offers too good to refuse" - the offer is too buy something the seller doesn't want to sell, but feels obligated to (often for a number of ancillary reasons).

[Actually, I'm reminded of Alan Moore - Watchmen, ABC/WildStorm and TLoEG/LXG/films.]

Last edited by ntnon; 01-01-16 at 09:09 PM.
Old 01-01-16, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm not saying this to be flippant, but if he had his own ideas for sequels, why sell the whole franchise? I don't mean that to be an ass, it just seems like the whole MO makes no sense.
Old 01-01-16, 08:57 PM

The retro comment is similarly baffling. The whole idea behind both Star Wars and Indiana Jones was that they were retro, intended to harken back to the serials of his youth.
Hardly baffling. It's nostalgia eating itself - making a film hearkening back twice (or thrice) over: to the series' inspirations and to the first film... which in turn hearkens back.

He's saying thag the whole shebang is rooted in early ideas, but that once it's rooted once it should grow in its own way. Indiana Jones and Kingdom of Aliens actually did that side of things reasonably well. It took the character and broad ideas and then made up its own novel story. It was just badly, badly misjudged and executed. (The execution here is (very) good - it's the being hamstrung by nostalgia mining and, judgement and novelty that he - and some viewers - are confused/saddened/disappointed/annoyed by.)
Old 01-01-16, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I'm not saying this to be flippant, but if he had his own ideas for sequels, why sell the whole franchise? I don't mean that to be an ass, it just seems like the whole MO makes no sense.
They made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

I presume either Lucas approached Disney or Disney approached Lucas (or Lucas approached Fox and Fox said 'no' first), over financing or distribution, and such talks evolved into an outright offer.

There may even be a Marvel angle - if we know that Marvel were unhappy to lose the SW licence to Dark Horse, and we know someone at Disney liked Marvel enough for Disney to buy it... maybe we can assume that someone at Marvel, or Disney or both was also looking for a way to get that licence back, and it escalated into buying out Lucas..? (DC - allegedly - bought WildStorm for Jim Lee and Alan Moore... so there's a ppssible angle there.)
Old 01-01-16, 09:06 PM

Love it!

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Also, the car, windows and plants behind them are different. And Jennifer changed into a completely different person!
His watch, too. It's almost like one of those 'Find the Differences' pictures..!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.