Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
23.27%
26.12%
29.39%
10.20%
4.90%
2.45%
1.22%
0.41%
0%
0.41%
1.22%
What are you high?
0.41%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-15, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Either cut some of the close-ups or lose the helicopter shot. Having both in there is what made it feel like a long family guy gag.

Regarding scene/shot that was cut - we didn't get the shot of ren lighting up his saber in the snow (at least I'm 99% sure it wasn't in there, maybe I blacked out). We heard him igniting the saber (over a shot of Finn and rey), but didn't see it. I actually always liked that shot from the trailers.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 12-27-15 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-27-15, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts

Yeah, I noticed that first time watching the movie. I was expecting that moment. Seemed like such a cool shot to leave out of the movie.

But if you notice in trailer, his hood is on when he turns on the lightsaber. If I remember correctly, the only time he had his hood on was when he also had his mask on. When he was fighting Rey the mask had been off.
Old 12-27-15, 04:44 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. He kills Han, gets shot by Chewie, and then what? Was it directly after Finn and Rey?
Old 12-27-15, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Yeah, I noticed that first time watching the movie. I was expecting that moment. Seemed like such a cool shot to leave out of the movie.

But if you notice in trailer, his hood is on when he turns on the lightsaber. If I remember correctly, the only time he had his hood on was when he also had his mask on. When he was fighting Rey the mask had been off.
Yeah, but he very well could wear a hood without a mask (we saw him hoodless with the mask on, so why not the inverse?). Plus, it was cold out. Hood makes sense!

But yeah, probably cut for consistency...
Old 12-27-15, 05:08 PM
Banned

Here's the whole fight scene pretty much.

<iframe width="660" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1ACi-hRalDc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

About the arguments about Finn or Rey against Kylo...

Ren is clearly playing around w/ Finn. He's taking his time but he's also hurt. And pissed.

By the time it's Rey's turn... he's lost it. He has no clear concentration. What he wants isn't his and this gal is bursting at the seems of not knowing wtf she has in her. Starts off w/ playing very defensive and backward cuz she has no skill w/ it. Ren is just attacking and stomping his way to her. He's being childish w/ the whole situation. Then Rey finally is able to concentrate. That's when she's able to attack with precision and concentration. She's also fed up w/ it all by that point. So all that just makes her a very offensive person by that point.

I probably could do w/o her mentioning the force though. It just seems too obvious. Would have been stronger w/ her just focusing at that moment insteading of verbally mentioning it. Less is more.

I hope Johnson can refine what VII started.

EDIT: it's also nice how short these fights are. But they're fucking packed w/ emotional drama. The good stuff, son.
Old 12-27-15, 05:44 PM

Yeah, agree her mentioning the force out loud was a little hokey. Like KR saying the word triggered her to think of it. Um, you just used it seconds before when you pulled the lightsaber.
Old 12-27-15, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 348 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Yeah, agree her mentioning the force out loud was a little hokey. Like KR saying the word triggered her to think of it. Um, you just used it seconds before when you pulled the lightsaber.
It could end up being slightly less hokey if the theory that she had some Jedi training earlier in life that has been mind-wiped or repressed turns out to be true. In the moment it did strike me as odd...like she was recalling something more than just "oh yeah, I've been trying out this Force thing and it works".
Old 12-27-15, 05:54 PM
Banned

Yeah. It would have been better if she was just going for it as it came along. No triggers but just a reaction from the things happening to her. Forgotten moments or not... the things have to work as a singular entity ie the one film we have here. It comes off hokey no matter what. A visual of her just going for it would have been better. I do kind of like Ren saying he could teach her. I'd be fine w/ that. Maybe him using his powers to her to trigger her. All in visual, of course. Again... Less is more.

Again... I'm not saying SW wasn't simple but by now... the film culture, one would hope, can get visual cues better now. But we are a culture that gives Michael fucking Bay billions of dollars so.. maybe we're really stupid too.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 12-27-15 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-27-15, 06:08 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 946 Likes on 792 Posts

Just as thrilling the second time. Got chills in all the right places again.
Old 12-27-15, 06:45 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

For those who want to relive THAT SCENE again

Spoiler:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hINQxTpT55g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-27-15, 09:52 PM

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly
That actress looked so much like Keira Knightley in the mouth that I almost found that distracting...

Surprised so many like Adam Driver. I didn't care for his take on a Sith Lord at all. Everything about Kylo Ren, save for the dope name, didn't really work for me.
My main two thoughts, too. And if KK is Portman-lite, I guess that means two steps removed from Vader's wife...
Old 12-27-15, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by ntnon
And if KK is Portman-lite, I guess that means two steps removed from Vader's wife...
KK did play Portman's decoy in episode I.
Old 12-27-15, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I was listening to some podcasts talking about the prequels, and one of the people on the show said that the prequels made the universe feel small. Because so much came back to these same handful of characters. TFA didn't do much in my mind to change this, so I do feel the same way as you do. That's why I'm really looking forward to the side movies, that can be set in the Star Wars universe, but not be about the Skywalkers and Co.
But the whole scope of the films is a sort of dynastic story of one key family and how things swirl around and through them. It's the Chosen One and his (her?) ancestors and descendants. Why wouldn't people be related when a) that's the plot and b) nepotism and using family ties as manipulation are realistic (relatively) occurrances..?
Old 12-27-15, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm thinking we'll find out that her parents who left the planet were secretly connected to the Jedi in some way.
Old 12-27-15, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Spoiler:
I guess for me it's less about everyone being related, and more about the random connections between people who suddenly bump into each other despite being on complete opposite ends of the galaxy.

If Rey really is Luke's daughter then Rey randomly runs into a droid on the run from her evil cousin and then happens to escape from that evil cousin in her uncle's long lost ship only then to come across said uncle during her escape. And oh by the way, the droid she ran into that started this whole thing happens to be carrying the secret map which tells the location of her long lost father? That's the kind of stuff I'm sick of.
Three things, in no particular order:

A) THE FORCE.

B) Story convenience/coincidence. (Which is either forgiveable or thoroughly irritating person-to-person.)

C)
Spoiler:
Maybe-Force-led deliberate chess-like moves, set up to be in place by friends and family.

Kenobi "coincidentally" lives near Luke - or stuck around to keep an eye on the (son of) the chosen one.

Therefore, who not Sydow is on the same planet as Rey for similar reasons? To keep an eye on Luke-or-Leia's daughter. The force or her innate kindness leads her to be in the right place to rescue BB-8, like Luke found R2-D2, and it progresses from there.

The Falcon is on the same planet, and Han is nearby. He professes to be surprised, but needn't be - and may have left/lost it when taking Rey there in the first place.

Snoke directs Ren, and like the Emperor before him/it, is exploiting family ties and goading Ren to take on his more Force-aware cousin/sister both to test his resolve and her likelihood to turn, and for sadistic reasons. And/or Snoke is a familiar face with long-seated hatred of the Skywalker-Organa-Solos.
Old 12-27-15, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
The final shot was good, but I would have loved for Luke to have used the force to float the lightsaber out of Rey's hands into his own and then snap it on. Cut to black.
But he has no reason to turn it on whatsoever.

And if he did turn it on and cut to black, we'd have idiots debating if he was going to kill Rey.
Old 12-28-15, 01:39 AM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast

And if he did turn it on and cut to black, we'd have idiots debating if he was going to kill Rey.
I still would have loved for that to be the final shot of the film. I thought for sure that's the route they were going until it didn't happen.
Old 12-28-15, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would imply that he turned it on to strike Rey.

Or do you mean just force take it and then turn it on looking upon it as if to suggest that he doesn't trust that it works anymore?

Seems just silly all around.
Old 12-28-15, 04:35 AM
Banned

Again less is more, guys.
Old 12-28-15, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, I agree with the folks who mentioned that less of the chopper panorama shot would have been better as it did linger on that a little bit longer than I enjoyed it.
Old 12-28-15, 05:45 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast

the reason to turn it on is to see if it actually works after all these years, and wouldn't that be a great debate to have? we still don't know what side of the Force Luke is leaning towards at this point in his life. Sure, probably the light side, but if he took it out of her hands with the Force, gently, not ripping it out of her hands, examined the hilt for a couple of seconds then snapped it on while looking back at Rey then cut to black... man, that would have been cool, IMO.

But hey, just fanboy talk... I loved the movie, and I loved the final scene, helicopter shot or not... and I thought Luke looked great... Luke looked great... in all of the shots of Mark Hamill, off screen, with the beard, he kind of looked goofy to me... and it never looked right... but that's because he always had a very short haircut. Once you added the longer hair, it all seemed to fall into place.
Old 12-28-15, 06:02 AM
Banned

He looks better now. He's fit now. He was still kind of fat for VII.

Sounds you're more of the more is more type.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 12-28-15 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-28-15, 06:27 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
He looks better now. He's fit now. He was still kind of fat for VIII.

Sounds you're more of the more is more type.
not more is more, but it would have been nice to have Luke done SOMETHING. Turn on the saber... speak a WORD... something. But again, splitting hairs here.

I'm still reeling from the death of my childhood icon and all time favorite character from any movie ever. I was convinced it was going to happen the minute I heard Ford signed on for EpVII, but it still didn't make it any less upsetting.
Old 12-28-15, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 348 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
not more is more, but it would have been nice to have Luke done SOMETHING. Turn on the saber... speak a WORD... something. But again, splitting hairs here.
Just my opinion, but I disagree. His slow turn and silent look was perfect given the setup. He's been living in ascetic seclusion for years pondering his regrets and losses. It would have been weird for him to do anything more than he did in that moment.
Old 12-28-15, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 928 Posts

It would have been better if Captain Phasma had fought Finn directly instead of that bullshit baton wielding generic stormtrooper. I hate the cop out excuse of "well, she'll be in the next ones." Who cares. THIS was the film you showcase your characters in. The fuck I care if she comes back in a future installments? You've ditched her in this film like the side of parsley at a truck stop.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.