Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
23.27%
26.12%
29.39%
10.20%
4.90%
2.45%
1.22%
0.41%
0%
0.41%
1.22%
What are you high?
0.41%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread — SPOILERS

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-15, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Abrams, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by asianxcore

Spoiler:
everything did feel a bit small, especially the battles. I've been asking myself if that is a good thing or not. It did eliminate clutter that is seen in a LOT of Action/Sci-Fi films today but I couldn't help but feel a bit underwhelmed at times in earlier Action scenes.
I've been thinking about that a bit - here's my take

Spoiler:

New Hope was pretty small too. Basically Tatooine, inside the Falcon, inside the Death Star then the trench run. We didn't really get to big space battles until Empire (and moreso in Jedi). The prequels had too many CGI space battles, IMHO, so I actually preferred a smaller story to ease back into this world.

Last edited by Draven; 12-18-15 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-18-15, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
That may have been my favorite thing in the entire movie. I shit you not.
Did you like the little pizza getting big in BTTF2 as well?
Old 12-18-15, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I have tickets tonight to see it in 3-D with a few friends, so I will mull on that thought for a bit.
Just seeing the opening crawl actually fly made 3D worth it to me.
Old 12-18-15, 01:01 PM
FM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe silly, but something that annoyed the hell out of me:

Spoiler:
Han dies. His wife (ex-wife? ex-lover?) feels it through the force. The dead man's best friend comes back to the base. Rather than greeting the best friend and offering condolences or sharing their pain with each other, Leia walks right by Chewbacca without a glance and hugs the newcomer. Huh?
Old 12-18-15, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I've been thinking about that a bit - here's my take

Spoiler:

New Hope was pretty small too. Basically Tatooine, inside the Falcon, inside the Death Star then the trench run. We didn't really get to big space battles until Empire (and moreso in Jedi). The prequels had too many CGI space battles, IMHO, so I actually preferred a smaller story to ease back into this world.
I like that take! I was thinking that as well. We'll see how I process it during my 2nd viewing tonight.

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Just seeing the opening crawl actually fly made 3D worth it to me.
Good to know! One of my closest friends is having a hard time right now, so I bought him tickets to see TFA in 2-D last night with me and tonight in 3-D.

Tonight's 3-D showing should be fun. It's going to be at (IMO) the best theater in Marin County, CA and one that Lucas used to screen films for his employees at. There has been talk of this theater being closed down (which has been in operation since 1969), so I'm glad I'll be able to see at least one Star Wars film there in my lifetime.
Old 12-18-15, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FM

Spoiler:
Han dies. His wife (ex-wife? ex-lover?) feels it through the force. The dead man's best friend comes back to the base. Rather than greeting the best friend and offering condolences or sharing their pain with each other, Leia walks right by Chewbacca without a glance and hugs the newcomer. Huh?
Yeah that was a little off.
Old 12-18-15, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Yeah that was a little off.
Spoiler:
Man, I am losing it, I feel like Leia did hug Chewbacca. Did my brain imagine it because it seemed so obvious that she had to hug him there?

And that means Rey must be a Skywalker--obviously there's a history there.

I know it'll never happen, but I wish Chewbacca would kill Kylo Ren at the end of part 9.
Old 12-18-15, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Two cast members I wish were given more to do given their immense physical ability:

Spoiler:
Yayan Ruhia & Iko Uwais

I was excited to see them show up and then not excited very quickly.
Old 12-18-15, 01:22 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

JJ Abrams announced that he will be accepting and evaluating fan submissions to work on a future special edition of the film. He wants it to be perfect for the fans, so he has promised to look closely at every fan suggestion/criticism and alter the film as necessary.

He expects this project to be completed sometime before his death.
Old 12-18-15, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JeremyM
Spoiler:
Man, I am losing it, I feel like Leia did hug Chewbacca. Did my brain imagine it because it seemed so obvious that she had to hug him there?

I know it'll never happen, but I wish Chewbacca would kill Kylo Ren at the end of part 9.
Spoiler:

She did - but when Han and Chewie first show up and she sees them for the first time in a while. She goes to Rey when they return from the Starkiller base.
Old 12-18-15, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by FM

Spoiler:
Yeah, it all felt wrong to me. FWIW, I think they cut a lot of stuff out of the movie.

Spoiler:
I remember reading a scene description where Leia was telling someone that she didn't know how Chewie would get by without him. I'm betting the Disney execs just wanted to limit Fisher's screen time. The cracks were showing in her performance, but it worked well enough considering how sparingly the character was used in the final cut.

Last edited by joe_b; 12-18-15 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-18-15, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

They hugged earlier. I noticed that moment too, so maybe they opted not to show another hugging scene between the two of them.
Old 12-18-15, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Thanks--I thought I was losing my mind for a second there. I just mixed up when it occurred. I can live with that.
Old 12-18-15, 02:22 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I really liked the film. It's highs are no higher than the OT's highs but it's a steady run for a film. Great cast, great world, great filmmaking. And... *gasp* drama to give a damn about.

Loved the casting. Everyone was perfect in it.

I feel like it could have been a bit longer. It felt kind of short in some moments some unanswered elements. That I know are already answered based on the casting and whatnot in VIII. Just seem a bit stunted in some bits. I feel like there may have been cut scenes in this film. I just have that feeling that some moments were needed but not put in for quality or pacing or whatever.

3rd best SW film. It just doesn't pander to mediocre bullshit. It's not perfect. It's flaws aren't really that bad either as a stand alone film. As part of a franchise, it repeats an element from the OT. They call that out in the film but still... while being well done... it was also not really original. Like I said... it's highs are no higher than the OT's highs. But it's lows are also nowhere near as low as what RotJ had. It's a steady B grade film. Maybe a B+. But it's the right way to start this world if anything to get the rest of remaining episodes right.
Old 12-18-15, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Coruscant blown up. Take that, prequels!

It would be hilarious if Snoke is just 2" tall and uses the giantass hologram for intimidation a la Wizard of Oz.
My thoughts on Snoke were along the same lines. I was thinking Yoda-sized though.

Originally Posted by rocket1312
That doesn't mean I have to like it. And besides, other than Qui-Gon making a couple of mentions of "the will of the living force," or whatever, there isn't really anything in the movies that suggests that the force is some self aware entity responsible for ensuring that events play out according to fate. It's just lazy storytelling in my opinion.
Uh ... "The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together." --Obi Wan Kenobi

Originally Posted by FM

Spoiler:
No medal, no hug.
Old 12-18-15, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I don't watch the animated shows, so can someone explain when and why clones are no longer used as stormtroopers?
Old 12-18-15, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 984 Likes on 693 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Uh ... "The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us and penetrates us. It binds the galaxy together." --Obi Wan Kenobi
Nothing in that quote supports the idea that the force is responsible for bringing people together or putting events into motion in the service of fate or destiny.
Old 12-18-15, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just returned from an IMAX screening. I thought the opening crawl was thudding, the United Nations casting was pandering, the dialogue was truly terrible, and the film was for the most part a bore. I don't understand, you are given ALL the Star Wars toys (plus the awesome Max Von Sydow), tell the creator to F OFF, and this is the best you can do? At least it wasn't littered with the sophomoric sexual gags that were in the Star Trek reboot. There was a lot to like, and if a half hour were cut from it it would vastly improve, but as a whole I thought it was very weak...

(one of my pet peeves is when a character talks to himself "I can do this!" ugh... )

Last edited by hasslein; 12-18-15 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-18-15, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Great trailer. Weak movie. I think JJ did a better job with the Star Trek series.

I felt like this movie was a retelling of Star Wars, Empire and Return of the Jedi combined. There were so many scenes and plot similarities that it honestly got obnoxious. I went in hoping for an original Star Wars tale and all I got was Return of the Empire Wars.

Most of the action and humor fell flat and the storyline (without getting into spoilers) just wasn't compelling. It kept trying to be cutesy but not overly cutesy. And if a few minutes passed without a scene directly stolen from the original trilogy, they would say something blatantly or do another copycat scene to make sure you knew you were watching nothing like the Prequels. WE BASED THIS ON THE ORIGINAL TRILOGY!!!! ARE YOU GETTING THAT?!?!?!?!?! LET US HIT YOU OVER THE HEAD AGAIN!!!

I just wanted a well-done original Star Wars tale. This was not it. Maybe the next movie will stand on its own since they left nothing to ape from the first three movies.

I took my 11 year old son and a friend of his. My son seemed to like it well enough (but wasn't doing back flips) and his friend just said he though it was okay but would be better. This was before I gave any opinion. Not what you want to hear from your target audience.

But it will make a zillion dollars, sell lots of toys, and no one will give a shit if the movie is weak.
Old 12-18-15, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
A couple questions on what happened in this film:

Spoiler:
Did Kylo Ren actually die & we're already done with him? Kinda hate that if true, but wasn't positive

Spoiler:
So is Rey the daughter of Luke? I kind of thought so seeing as how she is already a Jedi or close to it.

Spoiler:
are we supposed to not know if Finn will be back for next film? wasn't sure if he was dead either

Thanks for any help. Was hard for me to process upon first viewing.
No, Yes (actually answered in the movie, but you need to pay attention), and he'll definitely be back.
Old 12-18-15, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by hasslein
the United Nations casting was pandering )
I don't even understand what the fuck this means? That there were more then white men in this film, unlike 95% of the original trilogy?
Old 12-18-15, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I keep reading the complaint over and over that the film was too similar to the Original Trilogy. To an extent I get what people are saying as there are definitely nods to the films and in particular A New Hope but I honestly don't think they were handled badly. The film has similarities but the way some people act you'd think the film was a beat for beat remake or something which its not. It very much goes in its own direction and has a new story to tell while keeping familiar elements in the mix. Personally I thought it was a good balance of old and new.

I also think doing the film that's reintroducing us to Star Wars in a way that was more of an homage was logical. Disney knows a lot of people were let down by the Prequel Trilogy so they turned to what they know people loved. That's still not to say they directly copied the Original Trilogy but just incorporated elements of it in with new characters to give us a best of both worlds film.
Old 12-18-15, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I keep reading the complaint over and over that the film was too similar to the Original Trilogy. To an extent I get what people are saying as there are definitely nods to the films and in particular A New Hope but I honestly don't think they were handled badly. The film has similarities but the way some people act you'd think the film was a beat for beat remake or something which its not. It very much goes in its own direction and has a new story to tell while keeping familiar elements in the mix. Personally I thought it was a good balance of old and new.

I also think doing the film that's reintroducing us to Star Wars in a way that was more of an homage was logical. Disney knows a lot of people were let down by the Prequel Trilogy so they turned to what they know people loved. That's still not to say they directly copied the Original Trilogy but just incorporated elements of it in with new characters to give us a best of both worlds film.
There is a Death Star. There is an assault on the Death Star. There is a Cantina scene. There is a droid carrying information that needs to be protected. On and on. And those are the main plot points. Not just "nods" to the OT.
Old 12-18-15, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dstrauss
I don't even understand what the fuck this means? That there were more then white men in this film, unlike 95% of the original trilogy?
The film was trying too hard with casting, the latin pilot, the black male, white female, affirmative action in the Star Wars universe Seemed forced to me.
Old 12-18-15, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 984 Likes on 693 Posts

I didn't take notes or anything so I'm not going to start breaking down each plot point and set piece for the sake of comparison right now, but all I can say is that I was pretty taken aback at just how many story beats from the original this one borrowed. It was no doubt 100% intentional, and I understand why they went that route, but for me it took quite a bit away from a mostly enjoyable movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.