Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Studio Ghibli's "Only Yesterday" gets U.S. theatrical release

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-15, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I know we've talked about this title and if it would ever be released on U.S. physical media. I'm looking forward to finally seeing it.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/animation...lease-20151203

Studio Ghibli's "Only Yesterday" Gets Long-Overdue U.S. Theatrical Release
By Jerry Beck | Animation Scoop
December 3, 2015 at 3:25PM

Considered a lost gem, Isao Takahata's Only Yesterday was recently included in Time Out’s list of the “Best 100 Animated Movies Ever Made,” and counts Wes Anderson and Roger Ebert among its admirers.

Now, at long last, one of Studio Ghibli's most acclaimed masterpieces is getting a U.S. theatrical release. Gkids has set a New York release date (January 1st, 2016) to commemorate the film's 25th anniversary.

The film will play exclusively at the IFC Center with a new English-Language version starring Daisy Ridley (Star Wars: The Force Awakens) and Dev Patel (Slumdog Millionaire, Best Exotic Marigold Hotel). Gkids will expand the distribution of the film to theaters nation-wide on February 26th.

It’s 1982 and Taeko is 27 years old, unmarried, and has lived her whole life in Tokyo. While traveling by train to visit family in the country, memories flood back of her as a schoolgirl in 1966, and she starts to question whether she has been true to childhood herself. Elegantly switching between her adult present and school girl flashbacks, Takahata brilliantly explores the drama, humor and enchantment of everyday life, in a poignant and achingly beautiful masterpiece from one of the world’s most revered animation studios.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XYm7IT_K5eo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 12-04-15, 11:27 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Studio Ghibli's "Only Yesterday" gets U.S. theatrical release

I've never heard of it. Sounds great.

What held up its release for so long?

What will it be rated? Is this a Totoro or a Mononoki?
Old 12-04-15, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Studio Ghibli's "Only Yesterday" gets U.S. theatrical release

Originally Posted by Mabuse
I've never heard of it. Sounds great.

What held up its release for so long?

What will it be rated? Is this a Totoro or a Mononoki?
I have it on import DVD and I saw it theatrically at the Museum of Modern Art in 1999. On some level, because of its rural setting, it's closer to TOTORO, but with adults instead of children and the magic comes from inside not outside. It's quite simply one of the finest animated films ever made. The scenes of public school life among 5th graders in 1966 are like nothing else I've ever seen. I daresay I don't think I've ever seen an American film about public schooling for that age group that comes anywhere near to real life as this film does. Even though I went to school in the Bronx and not Japan, the whole thing just rang so true for me.

I'll give the English dub a chance, but I'm not hopeful since there are so many Japanese pop cultural signpoints that simply cannot be translated, e.g. the theme song from a 1960s puppet show called "Hyokkori Hyou Tanjima" that ten-year-old Taeko took inspiration from. The song was covered in 2003 by my favorite pop group, Morning Musume. My favorite pop group from the '60s is referenced in the film, since a big deal is made of the Beatles' Japanese concert tour in 1966.

The film ran on TCM once, I think in 2000, in a subtitled version. They only showed it once and when it came time for Ben Mankiewicz and John Lasseter to introduce it, a film that no one in the audience except a handful of Studio Ghibli buffs like me had ever heard of, a film that needed some prepping and encouraging to get the audience to stick with it, what did these two guys talk about? Not a word about the film, just Lasseter bragging about how much Miyazaki liked TOY STORY. I'm still furious about that.

Here's a shot of Taeko on the train, with her childhood self and her 5th grade classmates behind her:

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 12-04-15 at 12:33 PM.