Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The 90s: Movie Franchise No-Man's Land

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The 90s: Movie Franchise No-Man's Land

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-15, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The 90s: Movie Franchise No-Man's Land

Originally Posted by brayzie
That would have been interesting if Danny couldn't get out the film, and that could be part of the conflict, seeing if Danny could ever convince Jack that his world isn't real.

But I didn't like the world of Jack Slater. Using the movie's logic, if Danny is in Jack Slater IV, then we should NOT be seeing the T-1000 in that movie, nor should he see Sharon Stone's character from Basic Instinct. Seeing other film's characters in other unrelated action films was not a common occurrence during that era. And cop action films weren't known for having cartoon characters ala Roger Rabbit in them.

All the bad things about the 90s were evident in Last Action Hero.They were throwing in everything and the kitchen sink.

I was reading an interview with Scott Sanders, the director of Black Dynamite. He said their goal for that film was to make it just 10% more ridiculous than real blaxploitation movies, and it worked.

Last Action Hero though went way beyond that and was just throwing random crap in there to hit audiences over the head with "See, it's not real life!!"
I took all that stuff to be part of the over-the-top "action movie satire". There is nothing to say the T-1000 and Sharon Stone's character weren't in the "actual" Jack Slater movie, and that Danny just recognized them because he was a big movie buff.

I don't know, I always took the movie to be a giant action movie love letter, and them taking some things over the top to drive home some of the absurdity that action movies sometimes tried to pass off. The movie worked best when they had Danny trying to apply real world logic, and calling out things I'm sure numerous action movie fans had already said many times before.

That's just me. I love Arnold/action movies, but I also enjoy a good satire.
Old 12-12-15, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Re: The 90s: Movie Franchise No-Man's Land

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Harry Potter was the start of building a film franchise by adapting a series of books, although excepting for the final 2-parter, WB never committed to more than one film at a time. The advantage these have is the built-in audience as well as the already constructed story arc, so there's not a temptation to milk the franchise forever (although there is the tendency to split the final book into 2).