Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Brooklyn (2015, D: John Crowley), S: Saoirse Ronan, Emory Cohen, Domhnall Gleeson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Brooklyn (2015, D: John Crowley), S: Saoirse Ronan, Emory Cohen, Domhnall Gleeson

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-16, 03:34 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Brooklyn (2015, D: John Crowley), S: Saoirse Ronan, Emory Cohen, Domhnall Gleeson

Eilis leaning against the wall at the end was probably my favorite shot from last year
Old 04-01-16, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Brooklyn (2015, D: John Crowley), S: Saoirse Ronan, Emory Cohen, Domhnall Gleeson

I watched this last weekend and I liked it. Good cinematography.
Old 04-01-16, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Great little film, a lot more entertaining than other Oscar contenders like "Spotlight", or "Bridge of Spies
Old 04-01-16, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
Finally got around to watching this again last night on video. Still loved it. I do think it was probably my favorite from 2015.
I watched it again too a few nights ago. Second time. I don't think I've ever used this word before, but it's wonderful. It's just a very beautiful, romantic and heartbreaking film. The performances were pitch perfect. All of them. I thought "The Revenant" and "Sicario" were my top favorites of 2015. But I now believe this movie was upon second viewing. Should have won Best Picture.
Old 05-22-16, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

Finally saw this last night. What a beautiful movie! I liked that it took its time and let its scenes 'breathe.' The story is simple, but poignant. I may have to read the book.

Saoirse Ronan is terrific, as always. The movie rests squarely on her shoulders, and she carries it with a subtle but strong performance. I look forward to her next leading role.
Old 05-22-16, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I watched this on a plane and enjoyed it, although I didn't care much for the end. It just felt so abrupt.
Old 05-22-16, 06:27 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I loved the film. It was very honest and unique about its characters' experience in trying to keep a level head.

And honestly... I loved the character so much that I could have gone for hours in seeing her develop to whatever that could be. I hated and loved the ending. Hated it cuz it takes me away from her. Loved it cuz it's not generic. It's finished. Her experience is done and determined to what she had to face and realize about herself. And it was great.

But goddamnit. I loved that character and just seeing her encounter the lives that she did. Such a fucking good movie.

I honestly wasn't going to see the movie, just didn't feel like going out of my way for it, but a girl I was fucking around with suggested we go and we saw it. She was a fan of the book. And she loved it. Some changes but nothing too grand that impacts the journey or an adaptation. Honestly... I think I came out loving the film more than she did. Fucking Ronan. She's such a goddamn good actress. She's growing w/ each film and it's a thrill to see her grow. I love seeing actors or other filmmakers like that. To see their growth in the now.
Old 05-24-16, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Saw this about a week ago and really enjoyed it. I still think Room was the most deserving of the Best Picture nominees (have two left to see...The Martian and The Big Short), but Brooklyn runs a close second for me. With Saorise Ronan, it's just a question of when and not if she'll get a Best Actress statue. It won't be one like Julia Roberts or Sandra Bullock, either (finally giving a statue to an actress who commands box office dollars but rarely makes Oscar type films), it'll be the first of many. Brie Larson did deserve it this year though, but I doubt we'll see her every Oscar night. Ronan will be a staple on the Oscar red carpet for the next decade or two.

One of the things that made Brooklyn stand out was how simple and straightforward it was, with a minimum of the distractions normally seen in romantic-type films; there was never any conflict from the Italian family with their son dating an Irish girl, there were never any comic misunderstandings, or a conflict of a person's hopes and dreams being at odds with the romance. No, this was a simple girl-meets-boy story and the relationship that follows, and it was just so refreshingly....real.

Oddly enough, I thought the straightforward nature of Spotlight gave it an overall "meh" rating for me; a very well done film that doesn't break any new ground. Yet the straightforward nature of Brooklyn (I bet a lot of immigrants from that era have very similar tales) was incredibly illuminating. Guess it just shows when you need to break the rules, and when you need to follow them.
Old 10-18-16, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Not sure how to describe this movie other than really sweet. Good date movie. A very simple story, but expertly told and produced.
Old 10-19-16, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Easily my favorite movie of 2015, and just as magical the second time. A
Old 11-06-16, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I just got around to watching this. I guess I'll be the lone dissenting voice because I wasn't wowed by it. Very nicely made and great performances, but it didn't move me emotionally. It just sort of felt like another Oscar bait film to me. Still glad I saw it.
Old 12-17-16, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I just got around to watching this. I guess I'll be the lone dissenting voice because I wasn't wowed by it. Very nicely made and great performances, but it didn't move me emotionally. It just sort of felt like another Oscar bait film to me. Still glad I saw it.
I just finished watching it and I agree. Decent film, Saoirse Ronan is great in it, but wouldn't make my top 20 of 2015.

3/5

Last edited by inri222; 12-18-16 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12-20-16, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I just got around to watching this. I guess I'll be the lone dissenting voice because I wasn't wowed by it.
Totally average movie. Anything remotely well made these days that isn't a sequel or comic gets overrated. Guy in this movie doing a weak Brando impersonation came across as borderline retarded to me.
Old 12-20-16, 11:59 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Finisher
Totally average movie. Anything remotely well made these days that isn't a sequel or comic gets overrated. Guy in this movie doing a weak Brando impersonation came across as borderline retarded to me.
He was more restrained in this than he was in The Place Beyond the Pines playing Bradley Cooper's son.
Old 12-20-16, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

It just sort of felt like another Oscar bait film to me.
This
Old 12-20-16, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
He was more restrained in this than he was in The Place Beyond the Pines playing Bradley Cooper's son.
He's an annoying actor with a very punchable face.
Old 12-20-16, 06:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

I still lament on this film and how beautiful and what an indelible impression it left on me. One of the best romantic dramas in some time.
Old 12-21-16, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I still lament on this film and how beautiful and what an indelible impression it left on me. One of the best romantic dramas in some time.
Completely agree. Not once did I think "Oscar bait" watching it. Beautiful film.
Old 12-21-16, 02:33 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Sounds like it could become good fap material for you.

Old 02-14-19, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Great little film, a lot more entertaining than other Oscar contenders like "Spotlight", or "Bridge of Spies
I watched it again for the first time since 2016 and it still holds up. Glad I have this in my collection.

I own Bridge of Spies too but it might be something I regret buying since I saw that only once.

Gleeson has been getting stready work since and Ronan probably has not reached her peak yet and she is still young.
Old 02-14-19, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I watched it again for the first time since 2016 and it still holds up. Glad I have this in my collection.

I own Bridge of Spies too but it might be something I regret buying since I saw that only once.

Gleeson has been getting stready work since and Ronan probably has not reached her peak yet and she is still young.
Bridge of Spies showed me why we need outlandish James Bond movies: Because real espionage is BORING.
Old 02-14-19, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Bridge of Spies showed me why we need outlandish James Bond movies: Because real espionage is BORING.
And the sex in Spotlight was A LOT less charming than in Brooklyn
Old 02-14-19, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've said this before many times online. It's a wonderful film.

Old 02-14-19, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,028 Likes on 727 Posts

^It really is.

I've been telling my wife to watch it, for ages, as i know she'll love it. No idea why she's being stubborn about it.
Old 02-18-19, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
I think I am going to regret buying that on Blu-ray before I saw it. It was ok the first time but yet to see it again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.