Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Girl in the Spider's Web (2018, D: Alvarez) S: Foy

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Girl in the Spider's Web (2018, D: Alvarez) S: Foy

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-18, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts
Re: The Girl in the Spider's Web (2018, D: Alvarez) S: Foy

Not sure why they're doing different trailers for the International market?

Old 10-31-18, 10:37 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Reviews are starting to come out. Pretty mixed so far. All the sites I've follow didn't seem to like it much.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the...he_spiders_web
Old 11-05-18, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Special showing at AMC on Wednesday. A-List qualifies. You get a free passport cover.

https://www.amctheatres.com/particip...he-spiders-web

I reserved a ticket and if my plans don’t change I’ll try to see it.
Old 11-08-18, 06:59 AM

Still mixed at 53%.

I'm going to see this tonight. I rewatched Fincher's Dragon Tattoo for the first time in years last night. Probably wasn't the best idea, since this is going to pale in comparison.
Old 11-08-18, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I saw it last night at the special AMC screening. I did get the free passport cover, but had to ask for it.

Anyways, it was okay I guess. Really not even remotely as good as the previous one. If not for a few F bombs, this could have been a PG-13 movie. I think it lacked the edge of the last movie and is very watered down.

Story felt very by the numbers and was more like an action movie. The gist of the story involves Lisbeth's relationship with her sister and their dark past with their father. That intertwines with the computer firewall story in the present day with an American NSA agent who works with Lisbeth.

Saw it once, good enough for me. I'd give it a C+
Old 11-09-18, 07:02 AM

This was a dud. Just completely sanitized and stripped of what made the original films and Fincher's good.

I think Foy is a great actress, but she was too pretty and wholesome looking for the role of Lisbeth.

The story was really dumb and generic. It comes across as a low rent Bond/Bourne hybrid movie.

And what is with this backstory for Lisbeth? Originally we're told she tried to kill her father when she was 12, now in this she has a sister and just ran away?

Also, why is Blomkvist a younger dude now?

Sony wanted a more commercial film, and they certainly got it, but it was at the cost of what made the original source material stand out.
Old 11-09-18, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
And what is with this backstory for Lisbeth? Originally we're told she tried to kill her father when she was 12, now in this she has a sister and just ran away?
She always had a twin sister. Larsson just never really did anything with that in the first three books. Maybe he was saving it for a later book before his untimely death.
Old 11-09-18, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I think it lacked the edge of the last movie and is very watered down.
Just completely sanitized and stripped of what made the original films and Fincher's good.

I think Foy is a great actress, but she was too pretty and wholesome looking for the role of Lisbeth.
This is the vibe I got from watching the trailers. It looked like it was going to be more generic compared to the first one.

The first one was great, and Rooney Mara was perfect as Lisbeth Salander.
Old 11-10-18, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just saw it and outside of what Hoeks did with Camilla it was all just so meh....

For the life of me I'll never understand why they made a sequel book and didn't get either Rapace or (imo preferably) Mara. I like Foy, but her Salander was a dud. And Bloomkvist was pointless in this movie (he had more to do in the book).
Old 11-12-18, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

If you see it as a whole of the other films, then I agree, it is a dud. If you see it as standalone flick trying to somewhat distance itself and do its own thing from the rest, even Fincher's, you will be entertained. I loved its outrageousness in going for a female-centric Bond/Bourne hybrid. Believe me, I was dreading it going in thanks to the atrocious spoilers of 2nd trailer.

This will bomb, so here's hoping they cut the budget even further and get Fede to spearhead a Netflix/Amazon series of her adventures. I think that would work really well.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 11-14-18 at 11:20 AM.
Old 11-13-18, 04:36 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
If you see it as a whole of the other films, then I agree, it is a dud. If you see it as standalone flick trying to somewhat distance itself and do its own thing from the rest, even Fincher's, you will be entertained. I loved its outrageousness in going for a female-centric Bond/Bourne hybrid. Believe me, I was dreading it going in thanks to the atrocious spoilers of 2nd trailer.
Agree with this. As an intelligence/tech based action thriller, I actually thought it was more enjoyable than the last Bourne movie. But it is a complete miss if you're expecting something in tonal alignment with the original trilogy.
Old 11-14-18, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah, I agree with this also. It felt like Skyfall with a female Bond.
Old 11-19-18, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I felt like catching a movie tonight and this was the only thing playing I was able to make it to. That said I found it to be pretty enjoyable overall. Never saw the original trilogy, but I did like Fincher’s film. I sort of wish we would have gotten a direct follow up to that version, but still liked this one for what it was. It’s basically a soft reboot and I agree with others that on its own it stands alone fairly well as a fun tech/action film. Definitely not perfect but I was entertained enough by it.
Old 11-25-18, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Saw this earlier this evening.

As others have mentioned, if this film was under any other title, it would be an entertaining Spy/Action film but as a part of an established Series, it pales in comparison to its other films.

I hadn't read the novel that this film is based on, so I'm curious how much was changed, as it's a bit odd that Blomkvist's importance is almost that of a sidekick.

Though I have to say, that finale was entertaining.
Old 11-25-18, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

This was a dud. Just completely sanitized and stripped of what made the original films and Fincher's good.

The story was really dumb and generic. It comes across as a low rent Bond/Bourne hybrid movie.

Also, why is Blomkvist a younger dude now?

Sony wanted a more commercial film, and they certainly got it, but it was at the cost of what made the original source material stand out.
This is what I feared.

A Fincher directed Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy is a huge missed opportunity. I’m sorry we’ll never get to see it.

Let’s hope a badass Fincher directed zombie movie will make up for it...
Old 11-25-18, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I hadn't read the novel that this film is based on, so I'm curious how much was changed, as it's a bit odd that Blomkvist's importance is almost that of a sidekick.
As I recall, there is a lot more going on with the magazine, and Blomkvist was involved in the Balder storyline (Stephen Merchant's character) independent of Lisbeth. There are also some things with Blomkvist and Camila prior to her reveal as Lisbeth's sister.