Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MI-5 -- Based on UK TV Series -- S: Kit Harington, Peter Firth, Elyes Gabel

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-15, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

When a terrorist escapes custody during a routine handover, Will Holloway must team with disgraced MI5 Intelligence Chief Harry Pearce to track him down before an imminent terrorist attack on London.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3321300/

Just saw this trailer posted today. Looks like it comes to theaters here December 4th. But, it gets a window on Directv November 5th.

<param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=4584125955001&playerID=673439623001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAA0Xi_s~,r1xMuE8k5NwJJtM9th7ulTVssP1QI3cp&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1&isUI=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=4584125955001&playerID=673439623001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAA0Xi_s~,r1xMuE8k5NwJJtM9th7ulTVssP1QI3cp&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="450" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>
Old 10-30-15, 01:57 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: MI-5 -- Based on UK TV Series -- S: Kit Harington, Peter Firth, Elyes Gabel

Almost looks like a parody. That poster is terrible.
Old 10-30-15, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

This is getting released here? Surprised.

Edit: Ah so it's a DirecTV one like Dark Places and Slow West, aka the Theatrical release is just a formality.
Old 10-30-15, 02:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Looking forward to seeing this, despite the fact that the entire cast save for Peter Firth isn't in it. I loved the show, so I hope this is somewhat decent. I kind of wish the show would return, or at the very least another official movie with that cast returning.
Old 10-30-15, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Depending on what the rental fee is, I may watch this on Directv PPV. It looks decent. Weird seeing Gabel from Scorpion playing a terrorist.

But yeah the poster looks like any straight to video B action movie. Kit Harington is/was? on the biggest show on cable TV, but I don't think he's really a draw for theatrical audiences.
Old 10-31-15, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It was decent. Felt like an extended episode of the series.
Old 10-31-15, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

was it super-preachy?

I stopped watching the show when it was clear they had a political agenda.
Old 11-02-15, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Saw the poster for this on IMDB the other day. Legitimately thought it was a Mission Impossible movie.
Old 12-20-15, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Watched this on demand last night from MGo.com. It was $7 for the rental, but I use the app Viggle a lot and was able to get it for free with my credits.

Anyways, it was alright. Very light on action. Not the best spy action thriller I've seen. It is pretty well made and doesn't look cheap. One of my biggest problems was Elyes Gabel (Walter from Scorpion) as the main villain. He was so miscast. Just didn't find him menacing at all as some evil terrorist mastermind. Kit Harrington was decent as the main hero, but he was underutilized.

Never seen the UK TV show, but I guess Firth was the only returning character from the show. They did sort of leave things open for a potential sequel.

If you're a fan of British spy movies, the MI-5 TV show and Harrington from Game of Thrones, then this is a decent rental to spend 105 minutes.