Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Which film/movie magazines do you read?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Which film/movie magazines do you read?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-15, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Which film/movie magazines do you read?

Cinefex, Fangoria
Old 10-17-15, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,311 Likes on 955 Posts

I subscribed to Premiere too. There would be occasional subs to Entertainment Weekly, especially back in the day. I am also a fan of Empire.

I want to give a shout out to Rue Morgue. Cool horror mag out of Canada it was pretty expensive to subscribe to so I would pick up an occasional issue at Barnes&Noble.
Old 10-17-15, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 451 Likes on 329 Posts

I had my entertainment Weekly subsciption since high school, but dropped it this year. Its nothing but a liberal, radical feminist hack rag now.
Old 10-17-15, 12:20 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I had my entertainment Weekly subsciption since high school, but dropped it this year. Its nothing but a liberal, radical feminist hack rag now.
Hasn't it always been a generic magazine? I only suscribed from like 2008 to like 2011. And it was alright. I only had it cuz it was free. And I've only read it when it's avaliable to me but... aside from some interesting stuff. It wasn't ever intense or with depth.

Also EW radical? You must be really sensitive if EW is radical to you.

Hasn't Hollywood been known to be liberal for a long time now? Soooooo if EW is owned by Time Warner... Time Warner owns WB... and WB is big Hollywood involved entity... did you just punish yourself?

You've really got issues w/ your masculinity, sexuality, and your patriarchal mindset. Heaven forbid you're white and got issues w/ anything that isn't white either only to take to an extreme.
Old 10-17-15, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 451 Likes on 329 Posts

I dont believe politics and entertainment magazines should be mixed together, you watch movies or tv shows to escape reality. EW mixes the two together way too much, and as stated their best writers are all gone now.
Old 10-17-15, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I got a couple of years of free subscription to EW a while back and it was fine to read when a spare moment, but I would never pay for a subscription. It's seriously light on reading and as mentioned previously spends too much time on TV. It felt like the perfect fodder for dentist waiting room, but nothing worth keeping it any significant reading within.
Old 10-17-15, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Quoted for truth.
Old 10-17-15, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,061 Likes on 652 Posts

I still have an Entertainment Weekly subscription, but as others have noted it's not as good as it once was and I just skim through a lot of it these days.

I do like that EW has a nice tablet version.
Old 10-17-15, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been an EW subscriber since 1997, I think this is my final year. It's not worth $20 anymore. The only thing I like it for is the seasonal preview issues, but even those have gone downhill.
Old 10-17-15, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Hasn't it always been a generic magazine?
When my family was subscribed to it in the early 90's, that mag was the first time I had ever heard of the likes of:

Seven Samurai
Taxi Driver
Un Chien Andalou
Mean Streets
The Wild Bunch
Last Tango in Paris
Straw Dogs

Gotta thank it for that. Also had a subscription to Premier in the mid-90's. I was a BIG Fango reader in the 80's untill the 90's came (Right before horror got resurrected in the 2000s)

Nowdays I read Rue Morgue and Diabolique.

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I read Total Film Magazine shortly before its demise. I enjoyed it the little I got to read (plus I seem to remember they provided a free DVD with short films/trailers/etc. that was fun to watch).
That was about to be my favorite movie mag, but like you said, cut way too short. And yeah, those DVDs were awesome.
Old 10-17-15, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Used to subscribe to Sight and Sound, Film Comment, Famous Monsters of Filmland, and American Cinematographer.
Old 10-17-15, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 213 Posts

I remember getting an issue of Total Film in London and it came with a free paperback script to Goodfellas. That was a nice mag.
Old 10-17-15, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 336 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Hasn't it always been a generic magazine? I only suscribed from like 2008 to like 2011. And it was alright. I only had it cuz it was free. And I've only read it when it's avaliable to me but... aside from some interesting stuff. It wasn't ever intense or with depth.
True, but at least it used to be well-written. A year or two ago, they fired most of their qualified writers and now it's basically being written by a bunch of uninformed 20-somethings, who don't know movies existed before Star Wars and/or TV existed before Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
Old 10-17-15, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I remember getting an issue of Total Film in London and it came with a free paperback script to Goodfellas. That was a nice mag.
I like that most of the UK mags that get imported to the US are more like books rather than typical magazines, but they come at a price (I think Monocle's The Escapist magazine is a whopping $20/issue).
Old 10-18-15, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 378 Likes on 289 Posts

Just to hate on Entertainment Weekly again...

I never understood the music reviews they had in the back of every issue. Who reads music reviews?

The only way you know if you like a new song or album is to listen to it! Who reads a music review from EW and takes their word for it?
Old 10-18-15, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,311 Likes on 955 Posts

Every reviewer has their opinion. Why shouldn't a reviewer at EW have less of an opinion than say Rolling stone or NY Times? I take it you don't read any reviews for movies or books? After all, per your post, you won't know if you like it unless you watch or read it.
Old 10-18-15, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

EW, and the online version of the Hollywood Reporter.
Old 10-18-15, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was once interested in theater management, so I subscribed to Cashiers do Cinema.

What a disappointment! They consistently misspelled the mag's title and they weirdly printed in some kind of coded language. Unsubscribed!
Old 10-18-15, 09:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Video Watchdog and Phantom of the Movies (Videoscope).

You don't know how much I miss Cinefantastique. I really loved that mag.
Old 10-18-15, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Total Film and Empire gave free gifts on many occasions. Mid 90s I remember them providing DVDs of trailers for the years biggest movies. Liked that at the time. I noticed that when I have seen the magazines in PR (when they used to have Borders) they would remove the free gifts as they were not supposed to provide them in territories outside the UK.
Old 10-18-15, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 864 Likes on 725 Posts

Entertainment Weekly used to have a lot of interesting writing but hasn't really been the same magazine the past decade. I stopped subscribing years ago.
Old 10-18-15, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 378 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I take it you don't read any reviews for movies or books? After all, per your post, you won't know if you like it unless you watch or read it.
I don't read reviews for books or movies, but that's because I want to avoid spoilers. However, I understand the purpose of book and movie reviews. For example, the reviewer may enlighten me on the general plot of the movie. I may not like those types of plots, so I may avoid the movie based on the review.

For songs, for the most part, I personally don't care about the meaning of the lyrics. The only way I will ever know if I like a song is if I listen to it. I see zero value with music reviews (Amazon customer reviews for a new album, for example).
Old 10-18-15, 03:53 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 683 Likes on 458 Posts

I guess I see your point, but people have been reviewing music for centuries. You might as well say you see no value in sandwiches, or sports, or any other extremely common thing.
Old 10-18-15, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by DvdClon
I was once interested in theater management, so I subscribed to Cashiers do Cinema.

What a disappointment! They consistently misspelled the mag's title and they weirdly printed in some kind of coded language. Unsubscribed!
Old 10-18-15, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Entertainment Weekly used to have a lot of interesting writing but hasn't really been the same magazine the past decade. I stopped subscribing years ago.
Hell, Gillian Flynn used to write for them. I'm honesty not sure if proper journalism can survive the Internet, certainly not in the capacity it used to without charging for content.

Originally Posted by DvdClon

I am reminded of a friend who told me that his English class got assigned to read The Heart of Darkness. He said one of the site devoted raised his hand and said "You know, this book has the exact same plot as that movie Apocalypse Now. He said the teacher looked at him for a moment, deliberated, cocked her head, smiled, and said "Imagine that!"

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
True, but at least it used to be well-written. A year or two ago, they fired most of their qualified writers and now it's basically being written by a bunch of uninformed 20-somethings, who don't know movies existed before Star Wars and/or TV existed before Buffy The Vampire Slayer.
So like 99% of the Internet, basically?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.