Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-18, 03:43 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

No point in rehashing the criticisms that have already been discussed eloquently. The movie looks great, but that's about it. Otherwise, it's a tonally-confused, over-the-top mess.

Don't understand the love for the dialogue, either. There are some really clunky moments that just scream "punch line set-up." McDormand is a fine actress, but this didn't ask her to stretch.

Some of the scenes are just cartoonish and embarrasingly bad. The scenes with the 19-year-old gf were painful to watch...the writing and acting were that bad. We were really disappointed since we thought this one had great potential going in, but it truly was a waste of time.

One thing I didn't see discussed was the placement of Rockwell in the supporting actor category. This happens on occasion when a studio feels they have a better shot, but the Dixon character is arguably the central or pivotal character. He seemed to have as many scenes devoted to him as Mildred, and he's a constant presence throughout the film. It's the equivalent of a sports award for special teams having a starter nominated and not expecting that performer to dominate the voting. Not taking away from Rockwell's performance, but it seems quite unfair to the other nominees to expect them to compete in that category against the lead from another movie. Peter Dinklage's character and the billboard guy were supporting roles, not Dixon.

It would be interesting to see a screen time comparison among the supporting nominees.

Last edited by creekdipper; 02-19-18 at 03:56 AM.
Old 03-04-18, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,209 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (2017, D: Martin McDonagh) S: McDormand

Finally watched this tonight. It was good but not great. I think it really fell apart in the final act.
Spoiler:
It became far to coincidental and formulaic right around the time she uses Molotov cocktails on the police station. Having Dixon overhearing the rapist’s conversation in the bar would have worked a lot better had Willoughby not just written that exact scenario in a letter.

Had that final 25 minutes or so been executed better I think I would have a higher opinion of the movie.
Old 03-04-18, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Finally watched this tonight. It was good but not great. I think it really fell apart in the final act.
Spoiler:
It became far to coincidental and formulaic right around the time she uses Molotov cocktails on the police station. Having Dixon overhearing the rapist’s conversation in the bar would have worked a lot better had Willoughby not just written that exact scenario in a letter.

Had that final 25 minutes or so been executed better I think I would have a higher opinion of the movie.
Just saw it too and pretty much the exact same thoughts on it.

Shame as it had me gripped for the most part.

Excellent performances, as it's been mentioned many times.

Can't see revisiting it though.
Old 03-04-18, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by astrochimp
Just saw it too and pretty much the exact same thoughts on it.

Shame as it had me gripped for the most part.

Excellent performances, as it's been mentioned many times.

Can't see revisiting it though.
Yeah, it really is too bad considering up until
Spoiler:
the police station burns
I really did think it was best picture material.

Agreed on the performances. McDormand, Rockwell, and Harrelson were all fantastic and well deserving of their nominations. Harrelson’s performance may be the most unsung as evidenced by the movie taking a hard slide as soon as his character was no longer around.
Old 03-04-18, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Before conversation goes back off the rails (and rightfully so) tonight ... I want to revisit something that was brought up and glossed by in this thread.

Do you think that the guy was actually the rapist/murderer? I do. I think the military was protecting him.
Old 03-04-18, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

^ I think he was a rapist just not THE rapist they were looking for. However, that would make his scene in the gift shop that much more unusual.
Old 03-04-18, 11:33 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

i took it he wasn't the actual guy that did to her daughter, but he has done some bad stuff...
Old 03-04-18, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

^ I think he was a rapist just not THE rapist they were looking for.
This, which makes the script even dumber. Hmmm lets have a character who’s a rapist, but not the rapist, travel from Idaho to Missouri to taunt the mother of a young woman who was raped and murdered.

Let’s also have him boast about what he’s done in a bar while the dumbass deputy is nearby. And then let’s have the same dumbass deputy all of a sudden do something smart like scratch someone’s face for a DNA sample.

Besides best actress I hope this doesn’t win anything else.
I know he’s not going to win, but I’ll keep my fingers crossed for Willem Dafoe.
Old 03-04-18, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ I respect the film for not solving the crime. In fact, I would have disliked it even more if they had. It would have come completely out of left field. That being said, the scene with the rapist in the gift shop makes absolutely no sense aside from throwing in a clunky red herring.

Although after watching the movie last night it finally hit me where I saw that rapist before. He was the shoplifting kid in Empire Records. I knew he loooked familiar.
Old 03-04-18, 03:07 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I haven’t seen all the best actor-type nominee films, but think that Rockwell and McDormand will win tonight. And while I like this film, it’d be 9th of the 9 nominees for me, maybe 8th above Darkest Hour.
Old 03-04-18, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Although after watching the movie last night it finally hit me where I saw that rapist before. He was the shoplifting kid in Empire Records. I knew he loooked familiar.
I knew he was familiar too, but I didn't make that connection
Old 03-04-18, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

^ I respect the film for not solving the crime. In fact, I would have disliked it even more if they had. It would have come completely out of left field. That being said, the scene with the rapist in the gift shop makes absolutely no sense aside from throwing in a clunky red herring.
The gift shop scene is what makes me think this, and for just that reason. The presented face value is that it isn’t him. However there is no evidence that actually exonerates him beyond “his C.O. says so”. They even spell out that he is some type of special/black ops that the government is going to protect.
Old 03-04-18, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
The gift shop scene is what makes me think this, and for just that reason. The presented face value is that it isn’t him. However there is no evidence that actually exonerates him beyond “his C.O. says so”. They even spell out that he is some type of special/black ops that the government is going to protect.
I felt like one of the film’s central themes was of misplaced anger. Mildred’s misplaced anger at Willoughby, Dixon’s misplaced anger at the sign store manager, etc. If the rapist was, in fact, the wrong guy, it would just be one more example of that theme. Maybe I misread it.

If the rapist was the right guy and his C.O. Was covering for him, I feel like there’s some information I missed or some sort of general knowledge I’m not aware of, aside from “the government often lies”.

But you’re right, the gift shop scene doesn’t make much sense unless he was the right guy. Frankly, the gift store scene doesn’t make much sense even if he was the right guy
Old 03-04-18, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

One Blog Post On Splinter News Dot Com About Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri

https://splinternews.com/one-blog-po...ill-1821879042
Old 03-05-18, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Yay, go Frances McDormand, one of my favorite actresses!!
Old 03-05-18, 05:26 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
One Blog Post On Splinter News Dot Com About Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri

https://splinternews.com/one-blog-po...ill-1821879042
Are you just going to continue to post links to articles that hate the movie until the end of time?

We get it, you didn't like it. It didn't win BP. Let's all move on and forget about the movie now. Everyone go watch In Bruges instead.
Old 03-05-18, 05:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

I don't even click on his links. There really is no point in supporting his hate. I'm very close to adding him to my ignore list.
Old 03-05-18, 06:35 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 03-05-18, 12:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of the seven Best Picture nominees I've gotten to see so far, I thought this was the best one.
Old 03-06-18, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Oscars 2018: Man arrested for theft of Frances McDormand's Oscar

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-43293763
Old 03-07-18, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

An excellent movie...best of the nominated films I've seen so far.

The casting was right on the money...resulting in characters that will be hard to forget.
The black comedy was pitch perfect.
The unexpected twists and turns are a credit to the skill of the writer/director.
I'll be adding this to my disk collection when the prices come down a bit.
Old 03-07-18, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I don't even click on his links. There really is no point in supporting his hate. I'm very close to adding him to my ignore list.
I don't pay much attention to any of his posts...if it was another poster he would have been warned for trolling a long time ago.
Old 03-07-18, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
We get it, you didn't like it. It didn't win BP. Let's all move on and forget about the movie now. Everyone go watch In Bruges instead.
Now that movie I liked.
Old 03-07-18, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by James T. Kirk
Of the seven Best Picture nominees I've gotten to see so far, I thought this was the best one.
I'm in agreement...Haven't seen The Shape of Water yet, but I loved this movie...Was laughing throughout...I'm also a giant fan of In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths...I thought the dialogue was great, and the acting was fantastic all around...
Old 03-24-18, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Saw this last night and really enjoyed it. A bit contrived in how Rockwell came around juuuuuuust in time; but it's Hollywood. Best part was when Mildred kicked that chick in the pussy... I cracked up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.