Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you like to see "old" movies in a theater?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Do you like to see "old" movies in a theater?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-15, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 108 Likes on 85 Posts
Re: Do you like to see "old" movies in a theater?

Yes ---> BUT Only if that said theater does bag checks and actual comic books are shown in those said "old" movies.
Old 08-28-15, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by orangerunner
I love seeing films on the big screen as this was the way they were meant to be seen.

My only drawback to 35mm is, unless they are newly struck prints, they are often washed out and pinkish-looking- especially pre-1982 prints made before they came out with LPP stock that didn't succumb to the colours disappearing and vinegar syndrome.
The color fading is chiefly associated with Eastmancolor stock which began to be widely used in the 1950s and Color by Deluxe, which Fox used for its Cinemascope prints. When MOMA did a series of 'scope prints of color Fox films, they were often pink and yellow (e.g. CAROUSEL). On the other hand, old Technicolor prints looked great decades after the fact. I can't tell you how many vintage Technicolor prints from the '30s to the '50s I saw at revival theaters in the 1970s that looked fantastic. And not a single one of them was "restored." THE BLACK SWAN (1942), BLOOD AND SAND, THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD, THE WIZARD OF OZ, SINGIN' IN THE RAIN, ON THE TOWN, AN AMERICAN IN PARIS, THE AFRICAN QUEEN, LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN, DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK, JESSE JAMES, COVER GIRL, THE THIEF OF BAGDAD, THE FOUR FEATHERS, GARDEN OF ALLAH, TRAIL OF THE LONESOME PINE, etc. I remember when I saw THE SEARCHERS for the first time on the big screen around 1972 or '73 and it was just spectacular-looking. Years later, they made a big deal of releasing a "restored" print of THE SEARCHERS and my first thought was, "They don't need to restore that, there are perfectly good prints of it."
Old 08-28-15, 10:19 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ fading on 70mm prints is worse - the print I saw of 'Around the World in 80 Days' was bordering on red over the entire image - the sound though was the best part.
Old 08-28-15, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 213 Posts

I saw Cross of Iron the other day, a release print. The projectionist discussed how Reel 6 had a yellow tint to it, and that he had never seen that before, and also asked other experts who were baffled by it. The typical red tint was present for a lot of the rest of it.
Old 08-31-15, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 388 Likes on 246 Posts

Got to see The Princess Bride at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater up on their big screen a few months ago. They were screening Breaking Away a week ago Sunday (to coincide with school at IU starting on Monday) but I missed it.

Not that it's "old", but I would dearly love to see Moulin Rouge on the big screen again. There's a big difference between seeing it wall-to-wall and seeing it on a TV screen. Everything up to and including the Sparking Diamonds scene is just fantastic when you can enjoy just being immersed it in.
Old 08-31-15, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 786 Likes on 567 Posts

I do go to revival films at the American Cinematheque theaters. And this month, New Beverly has a lot of Shaw Bros films I'd love to see on the big screen (even though I own the dvds).
Old 08-31-15, 02:29 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cinemark is showing Airplane! on Wednesday. I'm going for it. I saw it once as a kid for like 20 minutes and I was sick. I didn't like it cuz I didn't give a damn about anything during my sickness. Deep down I do think I would like it though cuz I LOVE Leslie Nielsen and I've enjoyed the pop culture stemming from it.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 08-31-15 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-31-15, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

Not that it's "old", but I would dearly love to see Moulin Rouge on the big screen again. There's a big difference between seeing it wall-to-wall and seeing it on a TV screen. Everything up to and including the Sparking Diamonds scene is just fantastic when you can enjoy just being immersed it in.
Actually, my experience seeing that exemplifies what's wrong with modern theaters- I was projectionist at a Regal theater when that came out and I pre-screened it the night the print came in. Most of the screens at that theater were common-width and much too small- I liked the movie a lot but I kept thinking about how much better it must've been on a BIG screen!

Funny thing- now that I remember, I pre-ran it when I did because there was someone else there who REALLY wanted to see it early, but ended up leaving a couple reels into it.
Old 08-31-15, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,231 Likes on 948 Posts

For me a "big screen" is any movie theater.
Old 09-01-15, 09:41 PM

Even THIS?
Old 09-01-15, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 451 Likes on 329 Posts

^^^Looks good to me, what are you seeing? Along with the subject. The Alamo Drafthouse here in KC do the "Late Show" on Saturday nights, and this weekend they are showing The Garbage Pale Kids movie in 35mm. This is when they show cult movies, but my god what a shitty movie. I would rather burn that 35mm print than show it in a theater.
Old 09-01-15, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 312 Posts

Yup! I'm lucky that there are a lot of theaters (non-Multiplexes) that screen 'old' films in Northern California.
Old 09-01-15, 10:45 PM

^^^Looks good to me, what are you seeing?
A pathetically small screen.
Old 09-02-15, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

Older films were made for a theater viewing experience. If they ever screen old Kurosawa, Hitchcock,Bunuel, Ford etc films I am always excited. Even if it were to cost more then a 1st run movie it's still a bargin to see Rear Window,Red River,Viridiana,Bridge Over River Kwai etc on a big screen

As for the OP's question hell no I wouldn't pay to see rando B action "old" films from like the 80s or 90s. That said there are many movies from any era that are just meant to be seen on a big screen.
Old 09-02-15, 06:46 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 384 Likes on 256 Posts

We don't have any theaters around here that show older movies but even if we did, if I like it enough to want to see it on the "big screen", then I probably own it and can watch it on my 53" WS HDTV at home any time I want to, and why would I want to pay $$$ again to see it at a theater? Plus whining kids, cell phones, inconsiderate asshats, no thanks.
Old 09-02-15, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Speaking of movie theater screens that aren't big enough, this is a theater in Paris I went to last summer:

It was to see Godard's 3-D movie, GOODBYE LANGUAGE, and the 3-D was so eye-straining that I'm glad it wasn't a bigger theater.

And this is the Landmark Sunshine Cinema in lower Manhattan:

And I took the picture from the last row!

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 09-02-15 at 07:09 PM.
Old 09-02-15, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,063 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
We don't have any theaters around here that show older movies but even if we did, if I like it enough to want to see it on the "big screen", then I probably own it and can watch it on my 53" WS HDTV at home any time I want to, and why would I want to pay $$$ again to see it at a theater? Plus whining kids, cell phones, inconsiderate asshats, no thanks.
You'd want to pay money to see it at a theater because that's the venue these movies were meant to be shown in. And while home theaters are obviously getting better and better, they still aren't even in the same universe as a great movie house.

As for inconsiderate crowds, screaming kids, etc., my experience is that those aren't the kind of people who generally show up for revival-type screenings. Most of the people who go to "old" movies are there because they want to see and enjoy the movie. I saw Vertigo in a packed theater about 5 years ago and it was one of the best theater going experiences of my life. Vertigo was a film I knew was great, but always left me a bit cold. After seeing it on the big screen in an auditorium full of enthusiastic cinephiles, my appreciation grew exponentially.
Old 09-02-15, 04:58 PM

I heard a bunch of kids ruined a recent screening of "2001" by laughing and heckling the "Dawn of Man" segment.

That Paris theater shouldn't even count as a theater!
Old 09-02-15, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Speaking of movie theater screens that aren't big enough, this is a theater in Paris I went to last summer:

Spoiler:

It was to see Godard's 3-D movie, GOODBYE LANGUAGE, and the 3-D was so eye-straining that I'm glad it wasn't a bigger theater.

And this is the Landmark Sunshine Cinema in lower Manhattan:

Spoiler:

And I took the picture from the last row!
I was in Telluride, Colorado and this is the largest theatre in town. And it's also the smallest because it's the *only* theater in town and has just this one screen.

Yet they have a major film festival there every year! And it's happening on this Labor Day weekend. I was told that they set up "temporary" screens in other buildings, so a lot of the screenings for it aren't even in real movie theatres!

Telluride Film Festival

Telluride is a beautiful place but why it has an annual film festival makes no sense to me.
Old 09-02-15, 08:42 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocket1312
You'd want to pay money to see it at a theater because that's the venue these movies were meant to be shown in. And while home theaters are obviously getting better and better, they still aren't even in the same universe as a great movie house.

As for inconsiderate crowds, screaming kids, etc., my experience is that those aren't the kind of people who generally show up for revival-type screenings. Most of the people who go to "old" movies are there because they want to see and enjoy the movie. I saw Vertigo in a packed theater about 5 years ago and it was one of the best theater going experiences of my life. Vertigo was a film I knew was great, but always left me a bit cold. After seeing it on the big screen in an auditorium full of enthusiastic cinephiles, my appreciation grew exponentially.
My wife and I rarely pay money to see movies at the theater these days, I doubt we'd pay to see a movie I already own and can watch at home any time we want to. In the end, you might pay money to see an old movie at the theater but we wouldn't.
Old 09-02-15, 09:16 PM

Cardinal sin of putting the AISLE in the sweet spot, where the best seats would be!
Old 09-02-15, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,063 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by kd5
My wife and I rarely pay money to see movies at the theater these days, I doubt we'd pay to see a movie I already own and can watch at home any time we want to. In the end, you might pay money to see an old movie at the theater but we wouldn't.
So when you ask why you would want to see an old movie in a theater, you didn't actually want an answer. Got it.
Old 09-02-15, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 213 Posts

Wow did not know that about Telluride. I just assumed they had theaters considering they host s huge festival.
Old 09-03-15, 06:43 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocket1312
So when you ask why you would want to see an old movie in a theater, you didn't actually want an answer. Got it.
It was a rhetorical question.
Old 09-03-15, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Cinemark is showing Airplane! on Wednesday. I'm going for it. I saw it once as a kid for like 20 minutes and I was sick. I didn't like it cuz I didn't give a damn about anything during my sickness. Deep down I do think I would like it though cuz I LOVE Leslie Nielsen and I've enjoyed the pop culture stemming from it.
My wife and I went last night ... Only 1 other person in the theater.

Stripes is up next.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.