Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Straight Outta Compton (Gray, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Straight Outta Compton (Gray, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
0%
41.67%
33.33%
8.33%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Straight Outta the Theater.
16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Straight Outta Compton (Gray, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Old 08-16-15, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 114 Posts
Re: Straight Outta Compton (Gray, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
I mentioned it already, they left out the album dis between Dre and Eazy (It's On (Dr. Dre) 187um Killa), while including Cube's album feud.
Such an awful album.
Old 08-16-15, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Says the Dre fan ...
Old 08-16-15, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

I saw it last night, it was good, but honestly it felt like it could have been over 3 hours, that way the ending wouldn't have seemed rushed.
Old 08-16-15, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by VHS? View Post
Says the Dre fan ...
Haha. I was actually an Eazy-E fan from the first N.W.A. song I ever heard (though I may have heard Eazy's solo album before Straight Outta Compton).

I actually just streamed that album on Spotify to see if I just had a bad memory of it. Nope. Still awful. Terrible rhymes, copy-cat beats from The Chronic, and poor guest rappers. Just all around awful. His EP 5150 released right before it was also poorly done.

You could see how much Dre meant to Eazy-E. Maybe not so much to Ice Cube.
Old 08-17-15, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 449 Likes on 362 Posts

Just got back from this and I thought was pretty awesome. It was a sold out show, too, on a goddamn Sunday night in La Caρada? Yessir.

I noticed at least 3 cameos by F. Gary Gray - he was in the beginning of the film and says what's up to Dre as he's walking up to the house, then he's the radio DJ spinning the first Ruthless single, and then he was possibly the dude that parked in Suge's spot and got beaten up.

The film was long but went by fast. I would not mind seeing an alternate or director's cut version on the Blu-ray at all.

I also wouldn't have a problem putting this one on my Top-1o list either. Ice Cube Jr. play this pops right.
Old 08-17-15, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,182 Likes on 877 Posts

Just got back from seeing a matinee.

I really enjoyed it. Yes, it was really long, but I thought the pacing was good and the movie moved really fast.

Great performances by all the key actors: O'Shea Jr., Hawkins and Mitchell. I even liked Giamatti as their manager as well. O'Shea Jr. was almost a spitting image of his Dad, although he's more soft spoken in his speaking voice. But, I thought Jason Mitchell was absolutely terrific as Eazy E. Very sad story with him and his final days.

I wasn't really into NWA in their hey day. More of a casual observer. Didn't realize how much shit they got for "Fuck the Police"

Was surprised at how much they covered in this film. It was a little over 10 years of their history together. Was surprised that they went through Dre's Death Row tenure as well. And wow, I know it's all true from all the reports, but they really portrayed Suge Knight as the nasty thug that he was. I'm glad that Dre wised up and got the fuck away from that psycho back in the late 90's. Loved the little 2Pac and Snoop Dogg appearances.

I know F. Gary Gray doesn't do commentaries, but I would love it if Dre and Cube did the commentary of this film. I think they would provide great perspective of this movie and their history together.

The movie ended a little abruptly, but I thought it was a damn good movie overall. I'd give it an A-
Old 08-17-15, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

And wow, I know it's all true from all the reports, but they really portrayed Suge Knight as the nasty thug that he was. I'm glad that Dre wised up and got the fuck away from that psycho back in the late 90's. Loved the little 2Pac and Snoop Dogg appearances.

Sadly, we lost 2pac & Biggie in their prime because of Knight. He should have been locked up for good a long, long time ago.
Old 08-17-15, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper View Post
Sadly, we lost 2pac & Biggie in their prime because of Knight. He should have been locked up for good a long, long time ago.
And some might say Eazy-E; this conspiracy theory has been around for a long time.

Old 08-17-15, 11:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett View Post
And some might say Eazy-E; this conspiracy theory has been around for a long time.

Yeah, for someone to basically make fun of a person who died a horrible death from AIDS is disgusting.

Dr. Dre was very smart and fortunate to escape from all that nonsense with Suge.
Old 08-19-15, 02:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 336 Likes on 297 Posts

amazing film. the performances were spot on. i loved everything about this one: the acting, the story, the music, everything...

just outstanding all around. chills at the right moments. heartache. this just had it all and Gray knocked it out of the park with his direction of stellar performances.

i really hope the Academy gives it some love, any love, especially for Jason Mitchell who was sublime as Eazy-E.

easily, one of the best i've seen this year.

Old 08-19-15, 05:13 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 336 Likes on 297 Posts

more people here need to see this movie ASAP...
Old 08-19-15, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane View Post

I'm thinking multiple feuds just would've been too redundant for an under-3-hour, wide-release version. The theatrical cut seemed to give the impression that "No Vaseline" was all one needed to know about the inner feud between members....And they certainly gave plenty of space devoted to that track, didn't they?
Same here.