Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you ever watched a movie simply because it was being discussed on DVD Talk?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Have you ever watched a movie because it was being discussed on DVD Talk?
Yes
87.72%
No
12.28%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Have you ever watched a movie simply because it was being discussed on DVD Talk?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-15, 06:55 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Have you ever watched a movie, that you likely would not have normally watched, simply because it was being discussed on DVD Talk and it made you interested in seeing the movie?
Old 08-10-15, 07:02 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Have you ever watched a movie simply because it was being discussed on DVD Talk?

Yes.

Last Days of Mars
The Driver
Tootsie

Granted... Tootsie was a film I never knew much about beyond the cover and what that could entail. So MILD interest in it.
Old 08-10-15, 07:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Have you ever watched a movie simply because it was being discussed on DVD Talk?

I like to think every movie I watch influences DVDTalk and everyone's viewing habits. As for the other way? Not really.

And no Twikoff option, so I don't think this poll is really legit.
Old 08-10-15, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 735 Likes on 537 Posts

It Follows.
Old 08-10-15, 07:10 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Of course! Why else would one join a movie forum?
Old 08-10-15, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,674 Likes on 2,642 Posts

That's the biggest question I've wanted to know for years here.

Many here claim they refuse to watch a certain movie because they simply have no interest or didn't like the trailers. But, I've wondered if those movies, which ended up being super popular & discussed, pressured those folks to watch?

Yes, I have watched a few movies mentioned here that folks here said were good.

Someone in TV Talk asked a similar question a year or so ago if people have ever been influenced to watch a TV show mentioned here. Most said yes IIRC.
Old 08-10-15, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Of course I have. Why else would I keep coming back here, participating in film discussion and taking suggestions from trusted members whose opinions I have come to accept over the years?

Unless dan30oly calls it "one of the year's best", chances are I'll give it a shot.
Old 08-10-15, 07:22 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 934 Likes on 782 Posts

Absolutely!

Ex Machina springs to mind.
Old 08-10-15, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I like to think every movie I watch influences DVDTalk and everyone's viewing habits. As for the other way? Not really.
Who are you?

As for me, I certainly have. Threads that had people coming back raving out movies, big release or small, have definitely got me interested in checking them out when I otherwise wouldn't have.
Old 08-10-15, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 380 Likes on 237 Posts

True story. My son and I are watching some Heathcliff cartoons at this very moment. Here's the back of the DVD case:

Old 08-10-15, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 334 Likes on 253 Posts

I watched Good Burger mainly because it has been considered a masterpiece by many here.
Old 08-10-15, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

I went to see JOHN WICK and KINGSMAN in theaters because everyone here raved about them. I've since become a lot more skeptical about people's raves here. In the meantime, you guys still insist on trashing a great movie like MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE II.
Old 08-10-15, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Of Course! There's been quite a few good recommendations over the years.
Old 08-10-15, 09:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Who are you?
My wife asks the same thing.

I jest. I'm fairly certain there have been movie's that's been discussed that I may have watched as a result, although none come to mind.
Old 08-10-15, 09:31 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I watched Good Burger mainly because it has been considered a masterpiece by many here.
Same here.

When I first joined the site, it was a running joke here (like the whole pee in her butt thing in Other). Everyone was praising Good Burger and saying it needed the Criterion treatment. Since I was new, I didn't know it was a joke at the time. So I blind bought the damn DVD. That was the first and last time I trusted you jerks for blind buys.
Old 08-10-15, 10:29 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

This is pretty much the only place on the internets that I like talking about films. Some other blog sites are just too hate-filled and go on about how the film industry sucks as a whole. And no one here seems too snotty about seeing the big movies vs indies; they're one and the same. I used to get argumentative about movies here, but that phase has long passed. I like just discussing more than anything, and most here seem pretty intelligent or at least entertaining to read. Plus I don't know any film fanatics in real life anymore. I'm in my mid 30s and married, so I find this forum convenient and informative.
Old 08-10-15, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Sure. I try to catch everything. But there's so much out there. Praise on a movie I otherwise ignored will get me to watch it.
Old 08-11-15, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

What is this joke about Good Burger lol.

I saw The Gift on Friday after reading some comments and seeing the trailer here.
Old 08-11-15, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 399 Likes on 267 Posts

I've BOUGHT movies simply because they were being talked about on DVDTALK. I.E Nightbreed 3 disc Directors set.
Old 08-11-15, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Can't say that I have.
Old 08-11-15, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
That's the biggest question I've wanted to know for years here.

Many here claim they refuse to watch a certain movie because they simply have no interest or didn't like the trailers. But, I've wondered if those movies, which ended up being super popular & discussed, pressured those folks to watch?
No pressure for me. I refuse to watch The Social Network because I have no interest in seeing Justin Timberlake act. I don't watch anything that has Timberlake in it. Stupid, right? but I don't care. Same applies to Lady Gaga though Machete Kills and Sin City 2 don't appear to be that good to begin with.
Old 08-11-15, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 990 Likes on 698 Posts

Originally Posted by hbilly
No pressure for me. I refuse to watch The Social Network because I have no interest in seeing Justin Timberlake act. I don't watch anything that has Timberlake in it. Stupid, right? but I don't care. Same applies to Lady Gaga though Machete Kills and Sin City 2 don't appear to be that good to begin with.
I can relate to that. I refuse to see Pulp Fiction because of Eric Stoltz. My friends give me crap about it all the time, but hey, you've got to draw the line somewhere.
Old 08-11-15, 08:32 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, mainly in my continuing Disturbing movies thread here. Most movies I would never have heard of if not posted here.
Old 08-11-15, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,306 Likes on 950 Posts

When I was building my collection, I blind- bought lots of movies.

As for theatrical viewing, I pretty much have an idea what I want to see. Due to reading people's opinions on here I have avoided more movies than convinced to see. But that number is still low.
Old 08-11-15, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by wlj
Yes, mainly in my continuing Disturbing movies thread here. Most movies I would never have heard of if not posted here.
Exactly what I was going to post. I love that thread.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.