Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How Fox Can Salvage The Fantastic Four - Financially

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

How Fox Can Salvage The Fantastic Four - Financially

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-15, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: How Fox Can Salvage The Fantastic Four - Financially

I wouldn't be surprised if this makes more money then Deadpool. Honestly, I predict it will due to the rating and content. Although FF probably has a much higher budget (looks like $122 million according to Wikipedia) Not sure why that would make you laugh though.
Old 08-07-15, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 705 Likes on 435 Posts

I honestly don't "get" the whole Deadpool thing
Old 08-07-15, 04:04 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Old 08-07-15, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
How about this idea, and I know it's fairly radical one, but how about making a good Fantastic Four movie? Just trying to think outside the box here.
And here I thought I was going to be the only one with this gem.

Not sure why it's so difficult to make a decent film about this group. I didn't hate the first two, but they were fair at best. With all the good flicks out right now I definitely won't waste my money on something sitting at 10% on RT.

Maybe releasing it in the middle of winter with no other competition would have been better.
Old 08-07-15, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I wouldn't be surprised if this makes more money then Deadpool. Honestly, I predict it will due to the rating and content. Although FF probably has a much higher budget (looks like $122 million according to Wikipedia) Not sure why that would make you laugh though.
Because everyone is shitting on FF (even the director, if I'm not mistaken) but could still make money. Who knows. Stranger things have happened. And everyone is raving about Deadpool and I just think that it is going to bomb. Outside Buried, when was the last time Ryan has had a success?
Old 08-07-15, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 156 Posts

If you've been following the insane stories of how Trank basically imploded while making this movie, a commentary by Trank himself will probably be more entertaining than either a deadpool track or the movie itself.
Old 08-07-15, 04:53 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How Fox can salvage the Fantastic Four:

Team up with DC and put Batman in it.

Is there anything Marvel could legally do to prevent Fox from doing that? That would be seriously f'ed up to see the Fantastic Four in the DC Cinematic Universe. Since Marvel and Fox seem to hate each other, I think Fox is more likely to team with DC than with Marvel assuming there are no legalities preventing Fox from doing so.

(Not that Fox is likely to team with DC either, but it probably is more likely than teaming with Marvel. I believe hell will freeze over before Fox will ever do a co-deal with Marvel like Sony is doing now.)
Old 08-07-15, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Because everyone is shitting on FF (even the director, if I'm not mistaken) but could still make money. Who knows. Stranger things have happened. And everyone is raving about Deadpool and I just think that it is going to bomb. Outside Buried, when was the last time Ryan has had a success?
I don't think he's had a huge hit headlining something alone, but either way I disassociate box office success with viewer reaction. Deadpool probably won't be a huge hit, but i'd be surprised if it was viewed as negatively as Fantastic Four currently is.

That said, as I mentioned earlier given the budget differences I imagine Deadpool won't need to make nearly as much to recoup it's costs as FF does.
Old 08-07-15, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 805 Likes on 385 Posts

Even though I sort of set this off by saying Reynolds has been Box Office Poison, it wasn't to take a shot at him and say there's no chance for Deadpool, I just think that he's been in a string of crappy movies (that would have been crappy movies with or without him) and that has taken considerable shine from his star. I only said it because I found the statement that it was green lighted because Reynolds was attached to be odd.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 08-07-15 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-07-15, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,907 Likes on 1,171 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
+1
Old 08-07-15, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

Fox rushed this to production, kept total control of the work, and then wanted money. This is similar to Alien 3 except I think A3 suffered from lack of budget rather than "hurry up and finish." The suits were trying to beat the deadline of losing the rights to Marvel. By doing another movie, any movie, it keeps it in their studio.

And honestly, when shody work is done, it shows even in films where "CGI hides" or "post fixes" things. Fox has proven with the Marvel licensed films that all they really care about is money. Money at any cost.

Now that Fox smelled Benjamins and Andrews attached to Deadpool, they are using that character to drive FF sales. Remember they didn't want to touch that property until last years SDCC leak when the internet went nuts. There was already Deadpool cross promotion thing with the FF trailer that ended with Deadpool saying that if you see FF, you get to see the trailer for his movie.
Old 08-08-15, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I still don't get how Rifftrax is funny. All the shit I've seen from them is shit. It's like bad America's Funniest Home Videos commentary bullshit. Maybe worse.
Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I'm a fan of MST3K and I think Rifftraxx is painful to watch.
You are both dead to me.

Originally Posted by Brack
In what way? It's the same thing except mostly well established films. Yeah, it's better when a movie is bad, but they manage to poke fun at good movies. The riff of 300 is hilarious, and just amplifies how bad that movie really is.
Rifftrax doesn't even do new movies much any more. They have been sticking to shorts and B-movies (ala MST3K) for a couple years now. Their most recent movie releases are Megaforce, Julie and Jack (from the director of Birdemic), and Stone Cold.
Old 08-08-15, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by emachine12
Fox rushed this to production, kept total control of the work, and then wanted money. This is similar to Alien 3 except I think A3 suffered from lack of budget rather than "hurry up and finish." The suits were trying to beat the deadline of losing the rights to Marvel. By doing another movie, any movie, it keeps it in their studio.

And honestly, when shody work is done, it shows even in films where "CGI hides" or "post fixes" things. Fox has proven with the Marvel licensed films that all they really care about is money. Money at any cost.
But the X franchise has been a big success and it has the same "use it or lose it" stipulation. What is it about the FF that FOX just doesn't get?
Old 08-08-15, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I honestly wish that I had come up with this idea, but I didn't. But it's an idea brilliant enough to share with you guys...

HAVE DEADPOOL DO A COMMENTARY FOR THE NEW FANTASTIC FOUR DVD/BLU RAY!!!

Have Deadpool do his thing making fun of the movie and cracking smartass jokes. It would be PHENOMENAL! It would be far better than Mystery Science Theater 3000!

Fox would sell a boatload of these things, AND they'd help promote the Deadpool movie at the same time!

Brilliant.
Who's Deadpool?

You don't mean this one, do you?

Old 08-08-15, 05:04 AM
Banned

Deadpool. Not Dead Pool. Get your goddamn reading glasses, old fuck.

I never saw that Eastwood flick btw. Actually none of the Dirty Harry sequels. They just don't interest me.
Old 08-08-15, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,023 Likes on 719 Posts

Deadpool. Not Dead Pool. Get your goddamn reading glasses, old fuck.

I never saw that Eastwood flick btw. Actually none of the Dirty Harry sequels. They just don't interest me.
Old 08-08-15, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,214 Likes on 933 Posts

Old 08-08-15, 10:06 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Old 08-08-15, 10:33 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
You are both dead to me.

Rifftrax doesn't even do new movies much any more. They have been sticking to shorts and B-movies (ala MST3K) for a couple years now. Their most recent movie releases are Megaforce, Julie and Jack (from the director of Birdemic), and Stone Cold.
You're absolutely correct. I haven't visited the site in a while. I think a lot of that had to do with piracy, i.e. people syncing their commentaries with the movie and uploading links via torrent sites.
Old 08-08-15, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

I love Rifftrax and MST3k, lifelong fan.
Old 08-08-15, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 847 Likes on 712 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
How Fox can salvage the Fantastic Four:

Team up with DC and put Batman in it.

Is there anything Marvel could legally do to prevent Fox from doing that? That would be seriously f'ed up to see the Fantastic Four in the DC Cinematic Universe. Since Marvel and Fox seem to hate each other, I think Fox is more likely to team with DC than with Marvel assuming there are no legalities preventing Fox from doing so.

(Not that Fox is likely to team with DC either, but it probably is more likely than teaming with Marvel. I believe hell will freeze over before Fox will ever do a co-deal with Marvel like Sony is doing now.)
Old 08-08-15, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

They can still salvage this. All they have to do is CGI in a white guy to replace black Johnny Storm.
Old 08-08-15, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

“Fantastic Four” is struggling to find its footing at the box office this weekend, suggesting that not even superheroes are immune to poor reviews.

Early estimates show the 20th Century Fox release struggling to hit $30 million for the weekend, which is well below the anticipated mid-$40 million mark. Should the estimates keep plummeting, the opening could prove disastrous for the studio, which spent $120 million on the pic.

Thursday night previews for “Fantastic Four” pulled in a lukewarm $2.7 million at 2,900 locations.

The last major superhero release to premiere under $35 million was Sony’s “The Green Hornet” in 2011 ($33.5 million).

In addition to “Fantastic Four’s” not-so-fantastic 9% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, a damning tweet from the film’s own director, Josh Trank, suggested that even he was disappointed with the final cut. Kate Mara, Michael B. Jordan, Jamie Bell and Miles Teller star in the reboot.

Last weekend’s champ, “Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation,” which is close behind “Fantastic Four” with an estimated $27 million weekend. Tom Cruise’s fifth installment in the Paramount franchise should reach $100 million domestically by Monday.

This weekend’s other domestic releases include thriller “The Gift,” which is on track for $8.5 million for the weekend. Joel Edgerton, Rebecca Hall and Jason bateman star in the STX Entertainment release.

Meryl Streep starrer “Ricki and the Flash” is performing similarly to “The Gift.” The TriStar release, about an aging rocker reconnecting with her family, looks poised for a debut between $6 million and $7 million.

The animated “Shaun the Sheep” bowed Wednesday to a disappointing $852,000, suggesting a weekend total around $6 million
Old 08-08-15, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 705 Likes on 435 Posts

You WHORE!
Old 08-08-15, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Make a deal with Disney.

Fox Gets:
TV rights/profit sharing with Disney for 'Xmen' TV rights.
Profit sharing on Merchandise
Small percentage of $$ from FF universe characters

Disney Gets:
FF & universe

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.