Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

It's kind of a miracle that Back To The Future hasn't been remade or given a sequel.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

It's kind of a miracle that Back To The Future hasn't been remade or given a sequel.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-21, 12:56 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: It's kind of a miracle that Back To The Future hasn't been remade or given a sequel.

But it's supposed to be set in 1985, not "present day". Think of the entire thing as a period piece (minus the 2015 segments, which are funny but painfully dated).
The following users liked this post:
Mike86 (03-04-21)
Old 03-04-21, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,230 Likes on 2,084 Posts
Re: It's kind of a miracle that Back To The Future hasn't been remade or given a sequel.

Originally Posted by Groucho
But it's supposed to be set in 1985, not "present day". Think of the entire thing as a period piece (minus the 2015 segments, which are funny but painfully dated).
Exactly. The 30 years difference in both directions was intentional in the first two movies. Considering the 1985 scenes to be “present day” throws all of that out of whack.

On the other hand, seeing Marty’s jacket or a young Huey Lewis doesn’t bother me nearly as much as watching Marty lust after a janky ‘85 Toyota.
Old 03-04-21, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 367 Likes on 267 Posts

Well Zemeckis and Gale have to be dead for it to happen.
Old 03-05-21, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I'm so glad that this Trilogy ended when it should have and didn't get whored out by the studio with a reboot like the other great franchises of it's time. I also think that Michael J Fox getting Parkinsons disease and pretty much retiring from acting ended any chance of a sequel in the past 15 years as they were rebooting Star Trek, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc.
Old 03-05-21, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,161 Likes on 907 Posts

Yeah, I do wonder if Michael J Fox didn’t wind up getting Parkinson’s if the studio would have attempted a reboot it Zemeckis and Gale would have agreed to it.
Old 03-05-21, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Yeah, I do wonder if Michael J Fox didn’t wind up getting Parkinson’s if the studio would have attempted a reboot it Zemeckis and Gale would have agreed to it.
I'd think they would've gotten a part 4 out eventually if MJF didn't have Parkinson's.
Old 03-05-21, 10:51 AM

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

They had ample opportunity during the 1990s before MJF's announcement to make a Part IV. Indeed in the "Making Of" Documentary from 1990, they explicitly said there wouldn't be a part IV. Besides MJF's condition wouldn't have stopped them from a reboot. And and thank God they didn't--especially in the 2000s. Reboots in the aughts sucked unmitigated ass.
Old 03-05-21, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,230 Likes on 2,084 Posts

Despite Zemeckis and Gale’s wishes, I’m surprised Universal hasn’t pushed for a remake/reboot over the last 5 or 10 years. 80s nostalgia seems to be big right now. Remaking it today, Marty would have travelled back to the 80s to save his parents.

I guess Hot Tub Time Machine is the closest we’re going to get to a BTTF remake/reboot.
Old 03-05-21, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it’s because Zemeckis and Gale actually own the rights to the franchise. I’m sure otherwise Universal would have tried to do something with it by now.
Old 03-07-21, 06:33 PM

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Overall, I agree, but there are still things that scream 1985.
Spoiler:

Like this guy and that jacket

Fashion is pretty cyclical. An all denim outfit in that exact fit and a color like Marty is something you would see a Zoomer wearing. A lot of Zommer kids now dress in popular styles circa the mid 80s thur early 90s
John Pannozzi (03-08-21)
Old 03-07-21, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts

Yeah, denim jackets are back. The puffy vests were popular again a year or so ago.

I never understood Marty's outfit though, even living through it in the 80s. Two shirts and two jackets, in LA? Were they going through a cold snap when it was filmed?

Old 03-08-21, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I’m aware of the wishes of Zemeckis and Gale, but am also enough of a cynic to believe that if MJF didn’t have Parkinson’s and Zemeckis/Gale were presented with truckloads of money then their morals would have taken a backseat and we’d probably have an entire sequel trilogy by now.
Old 03-08-21, 06:28 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
They had ample opportunity during the 1990s before MJF's announcement to make a Part IV. Indeed in the "Making Of" Documentary from 1990, they explicitly said there wouldn't be a part IV. Besides MJF's condition wouldn't have stopped them from a reboot. And and thank God they didn't--especially in the 2000s. Reboots in the aughts sucked unmitigated ass.
Plus Zemeckis did not like the backlash of the sequels as he talked about it in one of the DVD Documentaries. He pretty much said he would never do a sequel again because everyone has their own story of where it should go, so you are essentially going to piss off some part of the fanbase. I actually agree with him on that (and this was before the internet, so it's even worse now). I liked BTTF 2, but I think it got some backlash in 1989 because many felt it was too dark? I just remember that alot of my friends were deflated after they saw it back then, and I was one of the few who enjoyed it (but never thought II or III were close to the original).
Old 03-08-21, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 757 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yeah, denim jackets are back. The puffy vests were popular again a year or so ago.
My wife likes to wear one of those vests.

I always tease her about her life preserver when she has it on.
Old 03-08-21, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 291 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

I never understood Marty's outfit though, even living through it in the 80s. Two shirts and two jackets, in LA? Were they going through a cold snap when it was filmed?

About two years ago, I was in Old Navy and they had a jacket vest nearly identical to the one MJF is wearing in BTTF. I remember looking at it and saying to the woman standing next to me that that jacket would be perfect for a Marty McFly cosplay.
Old 03-08-21, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Would it be offensive if they made BTTF 4 with a digital recreation of young MJF?
Old 03-08-21, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 291 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
Would it be offensive if they made BTTF 4 with a digital recreation of young MJF?

I feel like at some point it will eventually get to that with a lot of movies once the cost goes down. Soon you won't need to have many or any scenes acted out. Just have the actors go to a studio to have a full body scan with a few different facial expressions and body poses and then the can digitally make the movie from those scans.
Old 03-08-21, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 274 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
Plus Zemeckis did not like the backlash of the sequels as he talked about it in one of the DVD Documentaries. He pretty much said he would never do a sequel again because everyone has their own story of where it should go, so you are essentially going to piss off some part of the fanbase. I actually agree with him on that (and this was before the internet, so it's even worse now).
The Internet was already around when BTTF2 came out. Sure, not as many people had accesss but I remember a lot of BTTF2 discussion on there when it came out.
Old 03-08-21, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,104 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
The Internet was already around when BTTF2 came out. Sure, not as many people had accesss but I remember a lot of BTTF2 discussion on there when it came out.
Wasn't BTTF2 released around the same time the world wide web was created? The first web browser and websites didn't exist until 1991.
Old 03-08-21, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 274 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Wasn't BTTF2 released around the same time the world wide web was created? The first web browser and websites didn't exist until 1991.
The Internet != WWW

We had Usenet newsgroups. rec.arts.movies
The following 2 users liked this post by windom:
John Pannozzi (03-08-21), The Valeyard (03-12-21)
Old 03-08-21, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,104 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
The Internet != WWW

We had Usenet newsgroups. rec.arts.movies
I guess the meaning of "a lot of discussion on [the internet]" varies by user.
John Pannozzi (03-08-21)
Old 03-09-21, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 399 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
I’m aware of the wishes of Zemeckis and Gale, but am also enough of a cynic to believe that if MJF didn’t have Parkinson’s and Zemeckis/Gale were presented with truckloads of money then their morals would have taken a backseat and we’d probably have an entire sequel trilogy by now.
The studios probably HAVE offered Zemeckis/Gale a boatload of money for a sequel. MJF or not. If the studios could make BTTF 4 with Christopher Lloyd returning to go on an adventure with Marty's kids, with a small cameo by Fox, I'm sure Zemeckis and Gale would have a fleet of Brinks trucks backed up to their houses.
Tom Banjo (03-10-21)
Old 03-09-21, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 489 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
I liked BTTF 2, but I think it got some backlash in 1989 because many felt it was too dark? I just remember that alot of my friends were deflated after they saw it back then, and I was one of the few who enjoyed it (but never thought II or III were close to the original).
It was more than it being too dark. I loved Back To The Future II when I saw it opening night back in '89. I think a lot of the backlash came from people not knowing it was the first half of a two-part sequel. When the little teaser for Part III played at the end, the audience let out a big loud groan (even I as an 11 year old thought it was tacky to put a commercial for the sequel in the body of the movie). No matter how much they might have enjoyed the movie, it's pretty rough when the last seconds leave you feeling like you've been cheated.

Zemeckis later stated on one of those Empire podcasts he felt the studio should have advertised that there were two movies coming, but they didn't want to because they believed it would hurt the box office.
John Pannozzi (03-09-21)
Old 03-09-21, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I mean it’s not like the wait was really that long though. Not even a full year’s wait. Back to the Future Part II was November 22 1989, and Back to the Future Part III was May 25 1990. Plus the second film ended with basically a teaser trailer for the next film.
John Pannozzi (03-09-21)
Old 03-09-21, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 757 Likes on 372 Posts

I don't really remember what the marketing was like or how well known it was, but I was always fully aware that they had filmed parts 2 and 3 back to back before I ever saw part 2. I was twelve.
John Pannozzi (03-09-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.