Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Beasts of No Nation (2015, D: Fukunaga) S: Idris Elba

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-15, 03:54 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

<iframe width="656" height="359" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0QQQ5LJxpbA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
BEASTS OF NO NATION is based on the novel by Nigerian author Uzodinma Iweala, bringing to life the gripping tale of Agu, a child soldier torn from his family to fight in the civil war of an African country. Directed by Emmy Award winner Cary Fukunaga (True Detective), the film stars Idris Elba as Commandant, a warlord who takes in Agu and instructs him in the ways of war.

BEASTS OF NO NATION hits Netflix and limited theaters on October 16, 2015.
Old 07-30-15, 04:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Beasts of No Nation (2015, D: Fukunaga) S: Idris Elba

oooooh.
Old 08-05-15, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Looks intense. Maybe it'll be the movie Blood Diamond should have been.
Old 08-05-15, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Not interested in this. No Caucasian lead = No sale.
Old 08-05-15, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really wanted to see this at TIFF, but I won't be in town. Guess I'll have to settle with Netflix.
Old 09-03-15, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Fukunaga’s stories from the shoot sound like a cross between Jacques Cousteau and Huckleberry Finn. He says that on the Saturday before he was scheduled to start, he felt worn down. By Sunday, he was so exhausted he stayed in bed, and a doctor diagnosed him with stage-two malaria. “It’s like someone gave you a sleeping pill, along with a pounding headache and a hot-and-cold fever,” Fukunaga says. “My entire body ached. My kidneys were aching.” The production had to push back a week as the director recovered.

But getting malaria was only the first in a series of disasters for “Beasts.” The camera operator pulled his hamstring on the first day, which meant Fukunaga had to fill in on that job, in addition to his roles as director and cinematographer, using a Steadicam strapped to his back. Some of the extras playing the tribal guards were jailed in the Ivory Coast on suspicion of being mercenaries, and had to be sent money for food and clothes. Actors wouldn’t show up for work because they lost interest, forcing Fukunaga to crank out morning rewrites. The cast was terrified of poisonous snakes, and the director — who travelled through the jungle with a machete and a stick — nearly stepped on a black mamba that could have killed him.

The film ballooned $1 million over budget, and Fukunaga found himself struggling to keep it together. “Every day, it felt like we were on a sinking ship,” he says. “I thought, this is going to be ‘Lost in La Mancha.’ We were shooting in rainy season. Sets were washing away.” Fukunaga shed 20 pounds from his 180-pound frame. Because he didn’t trust the local meat — “In Africa, you see chickens and pigs eating garbage,” he says — his diet frequently consisted of a salad of onions, cucumbers and avocado. “I just found out last week I’d been carrying a parasite for the last year, so that was probably part of the weight loss,” Fukunaga says. “I’m on a whole cocktail of antibiotics now.”

The director returned home in July 2014 more exhausted than ever. “For months, I had dreams we were trying to shoot, and things weren’t happening,” he recalls. “People would have conversations with me, and I would sound drunk in the dream, because I couldn’t put my words together, I was so tired.” As he started to slowly cobble together an edit, he was fully aware that he had never finished shooting all the scenes he needed, and would have to close some gaps with voiceover. Meanwhile, his investors were concerned they’d never get a dime back.
Sounds like it was a fun shoot
Old 09-04-15, 09:42 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GNWKwV1AN5E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 09-04-15, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Getting very strong reviews so far (only 7 but has 100% 8/10 rating) http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/beasts_of_no_nation/

Curious to see how this plays out come award season.
Old 10-16-15, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Bump

Now online at Netflix as of Midnight today

137 minutes. I'm going to try to watch some of it before bed. I think the appeal of this movie might be limited here. The subject matter isn't exactly broad appeal. I know Netflix is hoping this is a potential awards season movie.

Last edited by DJariya; 10-16-15 at 02:32 AM.
Old 10-17-15, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe this is the best movie I've seen so far this year. Haunting and beautiful. It starts off like Apocalypse Now then shifts into a Malick type movie. The violence is brutal and definitive, it doesn't feel Hollywood at all. The kid that plays Agu gives one of the best performances by a youngster I've ever seen, he is the true lead. Idris deserves a nomination, dude is an engaging monster.