Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (McQuarrie, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (McQuarrie, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
5.77%
32.69%
46.15%
9.62%
3.85%
0%
1.92%
0%
0%
0%
0%
No Anna Paquin, no sale!
0%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-15, 07:37 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation" (Starring: Tom Cruise, Ving Rhames, Simon Pegg, Jeremy Renner, Rebecca Ferguson, Alec Baldwin)

Release Date:
7/31/15

Rating:
PG-13 (for strong sequences of action and violence, and brief partial nudity throughout.)

Running Time:
131m. (2h. 11m.)

Budget:
$100 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Ethan and team take on their most impossible mission yet, eradicating the Syndicate - an International rogue organization as highly skilled as they are, committed to destroying the IMF.

IMDb Info and Rating:
8.4 (1,548 votes as of 7/30/15

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:69 Rotten:06 (92% as of 7/30/15)

Metacritic:
75 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 7/30/15)

Trailer:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//v.traileraddict.com/102870" allowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Poster Art:

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-30-15 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-26-15, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (McQuarrie, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

I give it three stars, I just came back from a screening.

I am not big on the MI franchise because the TV show was more about the con while these are more about the action so I maybe a bit biased.

Rogue Nation starts with the now famous Tom Cruise hanging from a plane stunt and that is what it was a stunt, it didn't really add anything to the movie and was over as quickly as it started. The movie jumped from one action sequence to another but I give McQ credit, it was all well shot and very little if any shake cam footage.

The plot was easy to follow if not a bit predicable, and it seemed like they needed a ending quick so catching the bad guy came fast.

Lots of thrills and some good laughs as well, good popcorn flick and a fun night at the movies.
Old 07-27-15, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to add there were a few things that took me out of the movie.

Spoiler:
There is a scene in a Opera house that takes place backstage, not one person notices these strange people walking around backstage. The same goes for almost all the street chases, there is no one on the streets.

Then there is a defibrillator that pops out of no where, and a fight scene that starts when the main guy gets kicked to the ground (the opening blow) the other henchmen just stand around for a few seconds before doing anything and they are standing right there!

Then the underwater scene where he had a big OXYGEN level thing on his wrist. I am not dumb, I do not need a big green neon thing telling me he is under for a long time.

I hate when things like that happen, and from the talk that I was at with Tom and McQ it seems like parts of the movie were being made up as they went along, which may account for that above.

Last edited by TheGuy; 07-27-15 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-30-15, 11:51 AM

going up @ RT. now 92%...
Old 07-30-15, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Rating:
PG-13 (for strong sequences of action and violence, and brief partial nudity throughout.)
It seems to me that partial nudity wouldn't be "brief" if it is "throughout".
Old 07-30-15, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by printerati
It seems to me that partial nudity wouldn't be "brief" if it is "throughout".
it's just the way i do the thread. don't look into it...
Old 07-30-15, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very entertaining installment of the M:I franchise. McQuarrie (writer/director) had a good handle on the plot turns and the requisite action and spycraft motifs the audience expects in this sort of film.

Rebecca Ferguson was a solid addition to the cast, and she's got some amazing blue eyes. [] Didn't care much for the guy casted as the main bad guy, though.

I give it 3.5 stars, or a grade of B+.
Old 07-30-15, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Where did the bullets go when the guy shot into the glass? Did that glass just absorb the bullets?
Old 07-31-15, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Very entertaining installment of the M:I franchise. McQuarrie (writer/director) had a good handle on the plot turns and the requisite action and spycraft motifs the audience expects in this sort of film.

Rebecca Ferguson was a solid addition to the cast, and she's got some amazing blue eyes. [] Didn't care much for the guy casted as the main bad guy, though.

Holy shit! When the Patman gives something a B+ that pretty much means it's an A for everyone else. Can't wait to see this.
Old 07-31-15, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman

I honestly wasn't going to see this in theaters until such a glowing Patman review!
Old 07-31-15, 08:08 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Anyone see this last night?
Old 07-31-15, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Caught it last night. I really enjoyed it. After the recent films, my expectations were high and they were met.
Old 07-31-15, 09:13 AM

did they explain why Paula Patton is not in RN at all?
Old 07-31-15, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

If they did, I missed it.
Old 07-31-15, 09:41 AM

i mean i see the point of keeping the women fresh in the series and she wasn't a great agent according to GP, but was wondering why she wasn't back and if it was explained in the movie or perhaps in reports. not a big deal, just curious...
Old 07-31-15, 09:51 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Paula Patton and Maggie Q were set to reprise their roles from Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (2011) and Mission: Impossible III (2006), respectively. Both actresses dropped out of the project due to scheduling conflicts.
Old 07-31-15, 09:53 AM

well, there ya go. thanks dex.
Old 07-31-15, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Maggie Q obviously dropped out because of her CBS TV show, which is now axed. Maybe she can be in 6 since that's rumored to be in development according to Tom.
Old 07-31-15, 02:15 PM

just got back. very good. exciting where it was supposed to be, funny in parts and just followed the tried and true M:I formula. really no deviation. well performed by all and big ups to Simon Pegg for getting more screen time.

Overall, very good and true to form.

solid:
Old 07-31-15, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Was great!
Old 07-31-15, 11:28 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rebecca Ferguson was very convincing as a rogue agent considering:

Originally Posted by IMDB
Did her own stunts in Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation (2015). She went under vigorous fitness and stunt training, consisting of 6-weeks of 6 hours-a-day training schedule, including Pilates, fight choreography and stunt practice.
I'm glad they reorganized the group from time to time and still follow the MI structure instead of Hunt going 007 style structure.
Old 08-01-15, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Lots of fun. Definitely recommend seeing it.

And the humor hits most of the time which is always nice. I hate it when action movies try to sprinkle humorous parts throughout and they fall flat (i.e. The Expendables movies).
Spoiler:
When Tom Cruise slides off the car (after drowning), the entire theater erupted.
Old 08-01-15, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Lots of fun. Definitely recommend seeing it.

And the humor hits most of the time which is always nice. I hate it when action movies try to sprinkle humorous parts throughout and they fall flat (i.e. The Expendables movies).
Spoiler:
When Tom Cruise slides off the car (after drowning), the entire theater erupted.
Yeah, the humor was subtle as opposed to being in your face. I like the scene where Cruise is fighting a henchmen then the henchman stands up slowly and is like two feet taller than Cruise. Everyone laughed.
Old 08-01-15, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

"Is your seat belt fastened?" Buckle up, because for the 5th time in almost 20 years, Tom Cruise once again delivers the goods in another chapter of the IMF team's exploits with Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation. This time, IMF is "officially" disbanded as the current CIA director (Alec Baldwin, who's going be hanging out with the franchise for a while) convinces a Senate committee that Ethan and his band of agents are actually creating the chaos that the team ends up cleaning up (the events of Ghost Protocol are referenced as evidence). Hunt is in pursuit of the shadowy Syndicate, which may or may not exist, as the culprits responsible for most of the mayhem going on the world. From there, it is up to Ethan, Benji (Simon Pegg), Luther (Ving Rhames), and Brent (Jeremy Renner) to figure out the loyalties of a disavowed British agent (Rebecca Ferguson) as they try to stop the bad guys and clear the IMF's name. From the opening action set (the famous hanging-onto-the-airplane stunt that Cruise did himself - in fact he did most of his own stunts, again), to globe-hopping, spycraft, cool gadgets, close calls, THOSE MASKS!, and a final scene that promises that we are nowhere near done with the IMF, Rogue Nation proves once again that, if you build it the RIGHT way, they will come. There is enough humor (Benji) and moments to catch your breath, that this outing does not tire or wear out its welcome for the viewer, but leaves one a bit exhilarated that there is more to come. My favorite of the bunch is Ghost Protocol, with Rogue Nation a close second just ahead of MI3, followed by the first adventure - MI2, which is a slight departure for me, comes in last, but still an excellent entry. I seriously cannot think of a single thing I would change about this movie. Can I go 4.75 out of 5?
Old 08-01-15, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Thought it was a solid follow-up to Ghost Protocol. I think I liked that one a bit more but this was very good as well. Cruise always brings it and I really enjoyed Rebecca Ferguson. I also enjoyed that she didn't really have a romantic relationship with Cruise's character. And I really liked the "anti-IMF" angle. That was something new for the series.

I wish Jeremy Renner had gotten a little time to kick some ass and Ving Rhames was sort of wasted but it was nice to have him back. And I actually kind of liked that there wasn't some big knock-down drag-out fight at the end.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.