Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Most difficult actors to work with?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Most difficult actors to work with?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-15, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 771 Likes on 629 Posts
Re: Most difficult actors to work with?

And we were all trapped out in Pittsburgh shooting this movie, which is the middle of nowhere, so whenever people had a few days off they would ask if they could go to New York, or back to Los Angeles, or elsewhere. I always said "sure", because why would I want to make anybody sit in Pittsburgh if they've got something else to do?
Oh no trapped in Pittsburgh! What a tragedy!

I don't get why Pittsburgh gets all this hate. If it was Arizona I would leave since it is so dam hot there.

Is Robert Downey Jr difficult? It seems like he might have a big ego.
Old 07-14-15, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts

I'm trapped in Pittsburgh every day of my miserable life.
Old 07-14-15, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Then you should be especially sympathetic to poor Ms. Fiorentino's situation.
Old 07-14-15, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I didn't know I was being hostile. I just don't feel bad for actors, because if you're a "working" actor and director then you're doing alright for yourself. You're definitely making more than the average person sitting at a cubicle.
I...suppose. A guy I knew in college did some acting work like, most of what he was in were movies he admitted were terrible DTV shlock. I mean, it sounds like Heaven to me to be in a movie, but if I had to pick between being a Uwe Boll movie and my current job, I think I might have a moment's hesitation .
Old 07-14-15, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does anything interesting happen there?
Old 07-14-15, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Oh no trapped in Pittsburgh! What a tragedy!

I don't get why Pittsburgh gets all this hate. If it was Arizona I would leave since it is so dam hot there.

Is Robert Downey Jr difficult? It seems like he might have a big ego.
If Pittsburgh was so bad, why do directors keep filming there? I seem to remember one of the Nolan Batman movies being filmed, at least partially, in Pittsburgh.
Old 07-14-15, 04:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You sad sad little man.
Old 07-14-15, 04:33 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Didn't Jeremy London and Jason Lee have more screen time than Forlani in Mallrats? I don't remember her having so many scenes. Were a lot of her scenes cut?

I've heard Kevin Spacey is hard to work with. That could just be a rumor, but that's why he hasn't done a lot of movies and feels fine doing other stuff like House of Cards.
Old 07-14-15, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 243 Likes on 175 Posts

William Shatner has been well known to walking off the set and refusing to work when he doesn't feel right doing it.
Old 07-14-15, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool
If Pittsburgh was so bad, why do directors keep filming there? I seem to remember one of the Nolan Batman movies being filmed, at least partially, in Pittsburgh.
Tax credits.
Old 07-14-15, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dom56
William Shatner has been well known to walking off the set and refusing to work when he doesn't feel right doing it.
If only that had happened during Star Trek V.
Old 07-14-15, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 464 Likes on 260 Posts

Dustin Hoffman has been known to be demanding and sometimes difficult....but he falls in with others such as Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas who are passionate/perfectionist about their work and are sometimes labelled as difficult because of it, especially when they don't see eye to eye with the director.

I can accept behavior like that, but not behavior due to having a big ego and inflated self importance.
Old 07-14-15, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Didn't Jeremy London and Jason Lee have more screen time than Forlani in Mallrats? I don't remember her having so many scenes. Were a lot of her scenes cut?
Is this in reference to Kevin Smith's comments about Linda Fiorentino in Dogma? Because...unrelated.
Old 07-14-15, 06:18 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
Is this in reference to Kevin Smith's comments about Linda Fiorentino in Dogma? Because...unrelated.
Oops, wrong movie lol nevermind. Still, there were a bunch of scenes without her. Smith could have easily given her some breaks. I'd argue Affleck was in the movie almost as much as her.
Old 07-14-15, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 385 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
They filmed Salton Sea at my place of business and one of our security guards worked overtime and was surprised to see Kilmer eating with the rest of the grunts. Granted, no one would look at him or make eye contact let alone talk to him - but Kilmer took a bite of his steak, chewed on it for a bit, made a face of discomfort, and spat it out on the floor, got up and walked away. My friend was all like: what an ass.

It took 2-3 years for The Salton Sea to finally be released and it was a really good neo-noir piece.
He went to some event at Laguna Seca racetrack, and the military was handling some of the security (who knows why--years ago, I don't really remember). What I do remember was he got into a pissing contest with a soldier about getting into some area (Don't you know how I am? I'm VAL KILMER! ) Followed by threats to get the kid fired (from the army?) The kid he threatened was my ex husband's troop, and pretty shaken up by it.

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Yeah, but when every other cast member gets a break and you don't, that starts to wear on you. Fiorentino may have had second thoughts after a couple of weeks of that pace. Directors can pull that with actors they've worked with a lot and who depend on them for various reasons, but if it's your first time working with someone and the pace gets grueling and you're expected to keep up but no other actors in the cast are, one can get upset. If Smith hadn't vetted her properly to see if she could put up with that kind of workload, it's on him. I haven't looked up her filmography to see if she'd worked with him before and I'm not going to bother. I'm just trying to look at it from her perspective, while everyone here seems to be adopting Smith's perspective. Since I can't stand Smith anyway (for reasons I'm none too clear about), I may be a little biased.
Zero sympathy for her. Life isn't always fair, and the other people got time off because they were expendable those days. If she wanted days off, she should have taken a smaller part. It's not like they were going to halt production. The only way to make it "fair" would be to keep other people from going--which would just be stupid.
Old 07-14-15, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I'm actually surprised there aren't more stories from the fury road shoot which apparently lasted 6 months in an isolated area with filming six days a week.
Tom Hardy has publicly stated that he had a lot of "creative differences" working with both Charlize Theron and George Miller on Fury Road, but is cool with them now.
Old 07-14-15, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Didn't Hardy basically say that he understood better once he saw the final cut of the film why Miller made the decisions he did?
Old 07-14-15, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by cleaver
There's an anecdote in If Chins could Kill where Bruce Willis didn't come to shoot some scene where his dad in the movie was having this conversation with him, like Frasiers dad came so Bruce Willis could read his lines to act off him, but Willis couldn't be bothered for Frasiers dads half of the scene.
What is this?
Old 07-15-15, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Deadman31
What is this?
A post which is difficult to understand?
Old 07-15-15, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 213 Posts

He's saying that the scene involved Bruce Willis and the other actor talking to each other. In the shots of just the other actor (Bruce off screen), Bruce Willis didn't read his lines to the other actor for him to react to.

Apparently this is from Bruce Campbell's book.
Old 07-15-15, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Marlon Brando pulled the same thing on Rod Steiger in the famous cab scene in ON THE WATERFRONT. He left the set when it was time for Steiger to do his lines in closeup and someone else had to stand in for Brando and read his lines to Steiger off-camera. Steiger complained about it in interviews till the day he died.
Old 07-15-15, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Gene Hackman is usually a pleasant person but :

http://www.cracked.com/article_21772...st-movies.html

The Royal Tenenbaums was the film that cemented symmetry-obsessed director Wes Anderson's career after first getting the attention of independent film critics and liberal arts students with Rushmore. Anderson had a very clear vision for it from the get-go: from the moment that vintage typewriter type bar clapped against paper, the grumpy patriarch character of Royal Tenenbaum was written specifically to be played by Gene Hackman. That was a bold decision, considering Hackman really, really didn't want to be in the movie.

When Anderson started courting Hackman for the role, he sent the actor some preliminary artwork to help convey the tone of the film, which Hackman never returned, possibly because he tossed it straight into the trash. A portion of his shit-boiling rage was stirred by the fact that he resents being offered roles that were written with him in mind, which he told Anderson in a face-to-face meeting before Anderson had even started writing The Royal Tenenbaums. The other reason was money -- The Royal Tenenbaums didn't have much of a budget, and Hackman's character is in nearly every scene, which means he'd essentially have to work every single day of filming for a much smaller salary than he was used to.

Hackman eventually let his agent talk him into accepting the role, but not before making a solemn vow to be the biggest son of a bitch he could during filming. Making sure everyone working on The Royal Tenenbaums knew he'd literally rather be beaten to death with coat hangers than be in their fucking movie was just below "turn in a good performance" on his list of priorities. According to the cast and crew, Hackman became increasingly intolerable as filming went on, venomously snapping at people for the slightest transgression and generally making Anderson's life miserable. He treated Anderson like his no-good, hipster nephew, telling him to "pull up his trousers" and straight up calling him a c**t in front of the crew.

Things got so bad on set that the rest of the cast, including veteran actress Anjelica Huston, were scared to be anywhere near Hackman. In an effort to try to ease the tension, Anderson eventually asked Bill Murray to come in on his (Murray's) days off, because Murray, in addition to being Anderson's friend, was apparently the one person who just wasn't intimidated by Hackman. Murray gladly showed his solidarity by supervising the filming of several scenes, including one where he stood on a ridge overlooking the shoot in a cowboy hat, because nobody messes with Bill Murray in a goddamned cowboy hat. The experience was so negative that when asked what it was like to work with Hackman, Murray begins his response by calling Hackman a cocksucker.
Old 07-15-15, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222
Gene Hackman is usually a pleasant person but :

http://www.cracked.com/article_21772...st-movies.html

The Royal Tenenbaums was the film that cemented symmetry-obsessed director Wes Anderson's career after first getting the attention of independent film critics and liberal arts students with Rushmore. Anderson had a very clear vision for it from the get-go: from the moment that vintage typewriter type bar clapped against paper, the grumpy patriarch character of Royal Tenenbaum was written specifically to be played by Gene Hackman. That was a bold decision, considering Hackman really, really didn't want to be in the movie.

When Anderson started courting Hackman for the role, he sent the actor some preliminary artwork to help convey the tone of the film, which Hackman never returned, possibly because he tossed it straight into the trash. A portion of his shit-boiling rage was stirred by the fact that he resents being offered roles that were written with him in mind, which he told Anderson in a face-to-face meeting before Anderson had even started writing The Royal Tenenbaums. The other reason was money -- The Royal Tenenbaums didn't have much of a budget, and Hackman's character is in nearly every scene, which means he'd essentially have to work every single day of filming for a much smaller salary than he was used to.

Hackman eventually let his agent talk him into accepting the role, but not before making a solemn vow to be the biggest son of a bitch he could during filming. Making sure everyone working on The Royal Tenenbaums knew he'd literally rather be beaten to death with coat hangers than be in their fucking movie was just below "turn in a good performance" on his list of priorities. According to the cast and crew, Hackman became increasingly intolerable as filming went on, venomously snapping at people for the slightest transgression and generally making Anderson's life miserable. He treated Anderson like his no-good, hipster nephew, telling him to "pull up his trousers" and straight up calling him a c**t in front of the crew.

Things got so bad on set that the rest of the cast, including veteran actress Anjelica Huston, were scared to be anywhere near Hackman. In an effort to try to ease the tension, Anderson eventually asked Bill Murray to come in on his (Murray's) days off, because Murray, in addition to being Anderson's friend, was apparently the one person who just wasn't intimidated by Hackman. Murray gladly showed his solidarity by supervising the filming of several scenes, including one where he stood on a ridge overlooking the shoot in a cowboy hat, because nobody messes with Bill Murray in a goddamned cowboy hat. The experience was so negative that when asked what it was like to work with Hackman, Murray begins his response by calling Hackman a cocksucker.
As one grumpy old man to another, Hackman's my hero.

Anderson should be forced to work with every difficult actor listed in this thread.

And so should Kevin Smith.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 07-15-15 at 02:45 PM.
Old 07-15-15, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 492 Likes on 324 Posts

If true, then Hackman sounds like a dolt. At his age, he has so little respect for the value of his time he'll waste it doing a movie he doesn't want to do? What an empty life he must lead.
Old 07-15-15, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,084 Likes on 1,605 Posts

It does make me like Bill Murray even more, though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.