Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ant-Man (Reed, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Ant-Man (Reed, 2015) — The Reviews Thread
6.76%
22.97%
47.30%
17.57%
4.05%
0%
1.35%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Who?
0%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Ant-Man (Reed, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-15, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Re: Ant-Man (Reed, 2015) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I'm seeing this tomorrow and I don't care about spoilers. But there's an actor portraying a young Pym, on IMDB credits. Sooooo was it an effect or an actor? Or something else in the film?
It must be referring to something else. I think I know what but it's minor.
Old 07-17-15, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spoiler:
Poor Ant-ony. Fucking Marvel Studios making me tear up over a talking raccoon and a flying ant.

I'll second Giles' comments. Serviceable script, but the film is a blast and looked amazing in IMAX 3D.

I thought Peña was hilarious, especially in two specific moments (which felt more McKay and less Wright).
Old 07-17-15, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 437 Likes on 299 Posts

Caught this with a large crowd last night... Loved it! (So did the whole crowd) Top 4 maybe Top 3 Marvel film for me after CA: Winter Soldier, Guardians and the 1st Avengers. It was as much a surprise how good it actually was... same feeling I got after watching GotG.

Last edited by Meathead; 07-17-15 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-17-15, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems the WOM appears to be pretty good on this one. I think we are seeing this next weekend.
Old 07-17-15, 09:53 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I thought Peña was hilarious, especially in two specific moments (which felt more McKay and less Wright).
Slightly OT, but Michael Peña is criminally underrated.
Old 07-17-15, 10:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I agree.

so remind me, what was the whole Wright 'leaving' kerfuffle?
Old 07-17-15, 12:40 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Saw it today, and really liked it. Like most Marvel movies, though, the villain is usually the weakest part, and pretty standard, but that didn't really surprise me. There were plenty of laughs, and the action/effects were great. The cast worked well, and the tie-ins to the other MCU films seemed to fit well. A solid 4 out of 5. I'm not sure where it stacks within the MCU, probably top 5. And if no one has figured out by now, don't leave when the credits roll (not that I ever do anyway).
Old 07-17-15, 12:42 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Saw it today, and really liked it. Like most Marvel movies, though, the villain is usually the weakest part, and pretty standard, but that didn't really surprise me. There were plenty of laughs, and the action/effects were great. The cast worked well, and the tie-ins to the other MCU films seemed to fit well. A solid 4 out of 5. I'm not sure where it stacks within the MCU, probably top 5. And if no one has figured out by now, don't leave when the credits roll (not that I ever do anyway).
It's really strange that still, at this point in the game, their villians aren't very menacing, or noteworthy (sans Loki, who is somewhat redeemable). It's almost like they are doing it on purpose to have the heroics standout even more...or have Thanos' impact be really felt when that time comes.
Old 07-17-15, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

They've had some decent villains though. Loki is the obvious one but I would also say that Iron Monger/Stane, Winter Soldier, Red Skull, and Ultron were all pretty good.

I think superhero films in general have the downfall of being predictable because the heroes are pretty much always going to come out on top. They may have setbacks or some casualties, but for the most part by the end of the film the villain always loses or is killed.
Old 07-17-15, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
So because he's Hispanic, he's not just underrated but CRIMINALLY underrated. That's racist!!
Old 07-17-15, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I thought it was alright. Entertaining but just alright. Definite script issues with a skeleton plot. More than any other Marvel movie, it felt like it was written by committee. "Let's add a scene with the daughter here." "Don't forget to mention this one thing right before the next scene." "We need to kill something and give Scott motive for this bit." The overall pacing was off and the editing for a couple of scenes were downright horrible.

The villain was the villain only because he was the villain. They gave reason's for Stoll's character but they really didn't focus on any of it. It all boiled down to "I'm gonna get you!" Which is a shame because I thought Stoll was good.

Overall I was entertained but I probably won't watch it again for awhile.
Old 07-17-15, 01:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
so remind me, what was the whole Wright 'leaving' kerfuffle?

The movie was a passion project for Wright. The film would have never gotten off the ground and people here wouldn't be reviewing it in the first place if it wasn't for him. But Wright wanted a stand-alone movie. Marvel wanted another cog in the MCU wheel. More of a lead-in into the next franchise picture, in this case Captain America: Civil War which the after-credits scene here pertains to. Joss Whedon had to give into Marvel's demands for Age of Ultron and the film suffered for it. Wright wasn't having that and left Ant-Man despite all the work he'd already put into it. There are those here who will say Wright should have compromised. These people are one of the reasons Hollywood churns out impersonal gobshite year after year.
Old 07-17-15, 01:55 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
So because he's Hispanic, he's not just underrated but CRIMINALLY underrated. That's racist!!
No, it's because he's from Chicago.
Old 07-17-15, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EctoCooler
The movie was a passion project for Wright. The film would have never gotten off the ground and people here wouldn't be reviewing it in the first place if it wasn't for him. But Wright wanted a stand-alone movie. Marvel wanted another cog in the MCU wheel. More of a lead-in into the next franchise picture, in this case Captain America: Civil War which the after-credits scene here pertains to. Joss Whedon had to give into Marvel's demands for Age of Ultron and the film suffered for it. Wright wasn't having that and left Ant-Man despite all the work he'd already put into it. There are those here who will say Wright should have compromised. These people are one of the reasons Hollywood churns out impersonal gobshite year after year.
I don't think the film suffers from the tie-ins to Civil War. Without The Falcon's involvement or the Spider-man reference, it's still the same film.
Old 07-17-15, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can someone spoil the post credit scenes(s) for me? My wife and I just had a baby so I haven't been to the movies since Jurassic World. I probably won't catch this 'til it hits the Blu.
Old 07-17-15, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
Can someone spoil the post credit scenes(s) for me? My wife and I just had a baby so I haven't been to the movies since Jurassic World. I probably won't catch this 'til it hits the Blu.
Spoiler:
1st one is Hank showing Janet the new prototype Wasp suit. He said it was time for her to take the mantle. She said something like "It's about time."

2nd one is Cap (not in suit), Falcon (not in suit) holding Winter Soldier/Bucky in some sort of warehouse. They said something about how they could've called in Tony a week ago, but not now. Falcon said he "knows a guy", which refers to Ant-Man.

I saw it and enjoyed the hell out of it. It was great to get lighter fare from Marvel for once. I think the biggest issue that the movie suffers from is that it takes way too damn long to get going with the Ant-Man stuff. Michael Pena is fucking awesome in this. Dude is criminally underrated. Rudd is great, as expected. Evangeline Lilly is also great as Hope.

I think the one scene with the suitcase is on par with the Quicksilver scene from X-Men: DOFP as one of my favorites. That was so great.
Old 07-17-15, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

I still gotta wait 2 more hours to see this. Damn Minions is hogging the big 3-D screen.
Old 07-17-15, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The scene in the suitcase was definitely Wright.
Old 07-17-15, 06:04 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
1st scene...
Spoiler:
1st one is Hank showing Hope the new prototype Wasp suit. He said it was time for her to take the mantle. She said something like "It's about time."
Fixed.

Loved the movie all the way around. Lots of fun. I saw a matinee with a good crowd that got into it. Great casting all the way around... yes, even T.I.

Can't wait to see it a few more times (and I do want to see it in 3D).
Old 07-17-15, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Yeah haha. Still had old ant man on the brain.
Old 07-17-15, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Man, I had a gigantic smile on my face all throughout the scene that begins on the rooftop of a certain building. Good thing that I kept away from spoilers for the credits-scenes too. Wasn't expecting either of those.
Old 07-17-15, 08:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The scene in the suitcase was definitely Wright.
funny, since that's the one scene I really really liked.
Old 07-17-15, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the first half was a tough slog, but once it figured out what it wanted to be (a heist movie), it won me over.
Old 07-17-15, 09:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Man, I had a gigantic smile on my face all throughout the scene that begins on the rooftop of a certain building. Good thing that I kept away from spoilers for the credits-scenes too. Wasn't expecting either of those.
As soon as they showed the satellite image I was fucking sold. Such a nerdtastic scene. The crowd I was with cheered when they realized where we were.
Old 07-18-15, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

This was a lot better than I expected. It seemed like everyone wanted to make a dig at it before it came out and while I'm a huge Paul Rudd fan, I wasn't sure about this. But overall the acting was really good and a lot of comedy and laughs. As everyone said, the villain was basically just there and I hope Marvel fixes this soon (as DC can come in and crush it). The Falcon scene was great and it played a nice tie in into the Universe. I'm interested to see what Ant-Man does next. May not be a huge money payday for Marvel, but should be one of their top rated films.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.