Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-19, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Mabuse
How the characters look is of utmost importance in a Star Wars film. A cool costume can make a character (like Bobba Fett) or break a character (Rose).
Speaking of Rose, where is she in this poster?

This looks like they're purposefully trying to fuck things up. I guess they're taking the pop music approach to Star Wars and making it incomprehensible to anyone over the age of 40 or so...
Old 03-28-19, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

The photos make it abundantly clear that there was a great deal of diversity in Princess Leia’s wardrobe. There’s even a couple left out. Much less so for Rey.
Casual white gown, regal white gown, another white gown, white jumpsuit, white jumpsuit with a vest, maroon gown with a white vest, tan gown. Sooo much variety.

Jedi had some variety from Boushh & the bikini at Jabbas and the green fatigues but her outfits being similar in SW and ESB aren't much different than Rey.
Old 03-28-19, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

The photos make it abundantly clear that there was a great deal of diversity in Princess Leia’s wardrobe. There’s even a couple left out. Much less so for Rey.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Every single movie Leia had a different outfit.
ANH=princess gown
ESB=puffy jump suit with life preserver & the red and purple Bea Arthur outfit
ROTJ=Deja Thoris bikini, and the hippie garb

Rey's Jedi outfit when she fights Kylo in TLJ was good.
But her outfit for this poster looks boring.
I'm actually glad Lando will be making appearance but I think it's kind of odd that him and Han dress never changed their style in 40 years.

How the characters look is of utmost importance in a Star Wars film. A cool costume can make a character (like Bobba Fett) or break a character (Rose).
Damn, that's a good point about Rose. I actually liked her character despite her almost killing Finn to save his life. But yeah, her design is awful. Paige Tico had a more visually interesting look.

Originally Posted by joe_b
We'll see. Dare I hope for a new beige vest?

Old 03-29-19, 12:03 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I can hardly make out her outfit with the big bright lightsaber in the way along with a bunch of cast members crowding her. She’s the white knight.
Old 03-29-19, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 828 Likes on 549 Posts

There’s a half dozen movies coming out this year that I’m looking forward to more than this. I never thought I’d feel this way about Star Wars.
Old 03-29-19, 07:37 AM
FM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
There’s a half dozen movies coming out this year that I’m looking forward to more than this. I never thought I’d feel this way about Star Wars.
In that boat with you.
Old 03-29-19, 07:44 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by FM
In that boat with you.
Me too. We'll charter a yacht.
Old 03-29-19, 08:02 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Rey's costume reminds me of a combo of Luke in ANH and Padme in AOTC
Old 03-29-19, 02:16 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Casual white gown, regal white gown, another white gown, white jumpsuit, white jumpsuit with a vest, maroon gown with a white vest, tan gown. Sooo much variety.

Jedi had some variety from Boushh & the bikini at Jabbas and the green fatigues but her outfits being similar in SW and ESB aren't much different than Rey.
Her wardrobe in Empire was completely different than Star Wars. Sorry, you’re just wrong.
Old 03-29-19, 03:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 03-29-19, 05:58 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I predict that guy is wrong, but maybe “Skywalkers” will be part of the title.

Maybe Return of the Skywalkers or something like that.
Old 03-29-19, 06:18 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Yikes.
Old 03-29-19, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

Is she wearing underwear?

I guess she wasn’t joking around when she said George Lucas told her nobody wore underwear in space.
The way that Ewok is leering, I don't think she is!
Old 03-29-19, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts

First, AICN is still around? I guess his sister took over.

Anyways - that's not the worst idea for a title, but it would require that we actually see
Spoiler:
more Skywalkers, namely Rey being confirmed as one

Ooh, crazy thought that just came to me:
Spoiler:
so one of the other rumors I've read has Rey taking the name Skywalker as a sort of title (like Kylo took "Ren"). This would be part of the rejection of the whole Jedi/Sith and light side/dark side thing that keeps getting rehashed. If Luke really was the last Jedi, then the Jedi are truly extinct. Rey takes it upon herself to build a new order of Force-using warriors, while following a "grey" code. And she calls them "Skywalkers". Again, this is my own delusional ranting, don't take it as anything other than that.
Old 03-30-19, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 962 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino
Originally Posted by FM
In that boat with you.
Originally Posted by dex14
Me too. We'll charter a yacht.
Old 03-30-19, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom

Ooh, crazy thought that just came to me:
Spoiler:
so one of the other rumors I've read has Rey taking the name Skywalker as a sort of title (like Kylo took "Ren"). This would be part of the rejection of the whole Jedi/Sith and light side/dark side thing that keeps getting rehashed. If Luke really was the last Jedi, then the Jedi are truly extinct. Rey takes it upon herself to build a new order of Force-using warriors, while following a "grey" code. And she calls them "Skywalkers". Again, this is my own delusional ranting, don't take it as anything other than that.
I hope not. I think that would be really corny and fan-ficcy.

But the first two films of the sequel trilogy have boxed in the series so much that I don’t know if there’s any way out that doesn’t seem corny and forced. Reylo? The Jedi and Sith/KoR all becomes gray Force users? The Force awakened and everyone gets superpowers?

Gray Jedi has sort of been a fan obsession since TPM, and it is certainly a concept that could be explored, but I don’t think fundamentally changing the “Light” and “Dark” dynamic is a good idea. Star Wars has a fairly simplistic good vs evil thing going on, and I think that is part of its appeal, and it’s probably jot a good idea to attempt to change its DNA in a radical way. As I said, it is something that can be explored, walking the line between the Light and the Dark, but I don’t think the mythology should be fundamentally changed.
Old 03-30-19, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

But the first two films of the sequel trilogy have boxed in the series so much that I don’t know if there’s any way out that doesn’t seem corny and forced. Reylo? The Jedi and Sith/KoR all becomes gray Force users? The Force awakened and everyone gets superpowers?

Spoiler:
I guess they need a strong subtitle for the next Star Wars.
Maybe in an era where audiences have short attentions spans, and there's too many spin-offs and expanded universe tales, Disney wants to keep it simple by using the most well-known words associated with Star Wars for the titles: SW: The Force Awakens, SW: The Last Jedi, SW: The Skywalkers

I don't think they've boxed themselves into a corner though.
In TLJ, it made it seem like Luke DIDN'T deviate from the Jedi ways, and made the same mistakes. The younger generation (Rey), saw that the old ways were flawed, so she'll continue the Jedi order but making changes to it.

The "Skywalkers" is a good theory but I don't think that Disney would abandon the "Jedi" name.
I think that more people will be Force sensitive than ever before, but they will still need a lot of training and teaching. Not just how to use the Force to fight, but to spread knowledge and peace. Despite the Jedi claiming that in previous films we never saw them do that. They were pretty much portrayed as space cops.

Old 03-30-19, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

My approach to a storyline for Episode 9 should focus on Rey/Kylo Ren balancing the Force, and make it about the light and dark. Maybe they both have to sacrifice themselves to truly bring balance, since TLJ's narrative was one side always kept it out of balance. With Snoke/Luke dead, than it would happen again if Kylo Ren died at the end of Episode 9. That would make this Trilogy truly unique and wouldn't undercut the previous movies, as Luke/Anakin destroyed the Sith, and Rey/Ben Solo balanced the Force.
Old 03-30-19, 06:20 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Kylo Ren better fucking die. No redemption for the guy who killed Han Solo. Even if he saves the universe in the end, fuck him. Killing him also ends the Skywalker line which is what they supposedly want in episode 9.

I don't see Chewie or Lando dying, too much backlash to kill off any more legacy characters. That includes the droids and the Falcon.

The only new heroes I can see dying would be Poe. He was supposed to die anyway. They will keep Rey alive for future movies regardless of what they/she says, and she's too much of an icon for little girl fans of Star Wars... and they already had the perfect way to kill Finn off in TLJ and botched it so you can't go back to that well again. Also it's too cliché to kill the black guy.

I don't know how they are going to end this, but I shudder to think it will be a bad guy vs an "I am Spartacus"esque scene of hundreds or thousands of Force sensitive nobodies banding together to defeat evil. Blech.
Old 03-31-19, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706

Possible leaked art work of episode 9. Looks like a target ad but still
That poster, real or not, basically sums up this new trilogy for me. Lazy and plain bad. Too many to blame for the way these movies have been handled, but JJ and Rian are high on the list. Serious time should have been spent at least getting a full basis for a trilogy story arc before ever putting serious time for pen to paper. In my mind Rian should never be allowed near a big franchise again, its almost as if he hated the movie series and wanted to purposefully make a retarded sham of a movie. The new characters in this seri s are completely void of personality. It reminds me of the video by RedLetterMedia that asked people to describe characters from the OT to the PT and they had a hard time for the PT because they were souless. Same here as far as I see. Kylo Ren is the sole exception and I feel he could have been fantastic if everything else was different.

I never thought I would not be excited to see a new Star Wars movie, but after the last two and Solo, I could not give a shit. Shame as Rogue One was fantastic.
Old 03-31-19, 10:41 AM

I disagree on Kylo. I think he’s one of many weak links. I just can’t buy him as a threatening villain in any way. He just reminds me of whiny Luke from A New Hope. Between him and the ginger, there’s no way the new order/empire stand a chance.
Old 03-31-19, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

I like Kylo.

I think everyone has their own thoughts on how these movies should go because they are so attached to the franchise. I will see any and every star wars related movie that is made from now till the end of my time. lol =)

Then come back here and discuss whether they sucked or where great.
Old 03-31-19, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

I hope not. I think that would be really corny and fan-ficcy.

Yeah, we can't have that.

Old 03-31-19, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Yeah, we can't have that.

Oh, now I get it. Skywalker! She’s walking on the sky! Star Wars: Skywalkers is all starting to make sense now!
Old 03-31-19, 03:25 PM

Maybe George envisioned that scene so many years ago when came up with the name.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.