Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Old 02-19-19, 09:28 PM
  #776  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 20,060
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
People certainly can't seem to contain their hatred of it. They must be fun at parties.

"Hey, we need some more Solo cups for the punch!"
"SPEAKING OF SOLO DID YOU KNOW THAT THE ONLY REASON SOLO FLOPPED WAS BECAUSE OF THE LAST JEDI?"
"uh..."
I heard TLJ was so bad it not only tanked Solo, but caused a 23% drop in Solo cup sales.
Abob Teff is offline  
Old 02-20-19, 08:28 AM
  #777  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Rosemount, MN
Posts: 30,923
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post

True but Luke comes very close. Luke is pretty much the polar opposite of everything he was in the Original Trilogy. That was a man who abandoned every ideal he ever had. No optimism, no drive to help those he cared about. Just someone completely cut off from everything. Hell in fact itís almost like the two got flipped in some ways.
Itís as if a lifetime of war and suffering had an effect on the wide-eyed boy from Tatooine.
Draven is offline  
Old 02-20-19, 08:47 AM
  #778  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Posts: 12,875
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

See, I don't have a problem with Luke dropping out, especially when you consider that he tried to murder his nephew. Luke wasn't portrayed as the most stable guy in the OT, the point was to show he had a lot of Anakin in him. So Luke saying I can't be around this to me rings true to character. Him drinking titty milk on the other hand I have a problem with.
Timber is online now  
Old 02-20-19, 08:49 AM
  #779  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,328
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Him drinking titty milk on the other hand I have a problem with.
(Puts hands over ears) La-La-La-La-La, I'm not listening, I'm not listening I need to go Total Recall and get that whole scene erased from my mind!

coli is offline  
Old 02-20-19, 12:11 PM
  #780  
Moderator
 
story's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Hope.
Posts: 8,450
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by coli View Post
(Puts hands over ears) La-La-La-La-La, I'm not listening, I'm not listening I need to go Total Recall and get that whole scene erased from my mind!
Makes you wish you had three hands?
story is offline  
Old 02-20-19, 12:15 PM
  #781  
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 21,670
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

the movie died when Mary Poppins got back in the ship

the movie was put in the grave when Luke died from Exhaustion.
raven56706 is offline  
Old 02-20-19, 12:29 PM
  #782  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,500
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

The fishing scene was okay, but the titty milk was just cringey. I felt embarassed for Mark Hamill in that scene.
Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 02-20-19, 12:33 PM
  #783  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
People certainly can't seem to contain their hatred of it. They must be fun at parties.

"Hey, we need some more Solo cups for the punch!"
"SPEAKING OF SOLO DID YOU KNOW THAT THE ONLY REASON SOLO FLOPPED WAS BECAUSE OF THE LAST JEDI?"
"uh..."
I just imagine you responding at a party by immediately googling numerous links and quoting them back to the individual, while demanding references and citations in return.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 02-20-19, 12:59 PM
  #784  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 17,545
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I just imagine you responding at a party by immediately googling numerous links and quoting them back to the individual, while demanding references and citations in return.
At a party I'd go "okay..." and walk away. There's a time and place to get into detailed discussions like that. Oddly enough, I think this forum is one of those such places, although maybe not this specific thread. I'm actually trying to refrain from responding to the TLJ talk in this thread, as I'm hoping it'll just die down. Unlike others, I can let the argument go.

Last edited by Jay G.; 02-20-19 at 01:06 PM.
Jay G. is offline  
Old 02-20-19, 01:19 PM
  #785  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
fumanstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Irvine, CA
Posts: 55,343
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
At a party I'd go "okay..." and walk away. There's a time and place to get into detailed discussions like that. Oddly enough, I think this forum is one of those such places, although maybe not this specific thread. I'm actually trying to refrain from responding to the TLJ talk in this thread, as I'm hoping it'll just die down. Unlike others, I can let the argument go.
It amuses me that you made up a scenario in response to forum posts here, but took my tongue and cheek response to the way you also interact with posters here on this forum so seriously. Alas.
fumanstan is offline  
Old 02-20-19, 01:26 PM
  #786  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,907
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Draven View Post


Itís as if a lifetime of war and suffering had an effect on the wide-eyed boy from Tatooine.
Except for the fact that, you know we don't see him that way. This is the same guy who had faith in his father despite him being one of the most evil men in the galaxy. He senses that Ben might have some Dark Side tendencies and almost kills him in his sleep rather than trying to help him beforehand. Yeah, that's not Luke.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 02-20-19, 01:35 PM
  #787  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Obi-Wan Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,608
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
Except for the fact that, you know we don't see him that way. This is the same guy who had faith in his father despite him being one of the most evil men in the galaxy. He senses that Ben might have some Dark Side tendencies and almost kills him in his sleep rather than trying to help him beforehand. Yeah, that's not Luke.
See the way that I read that is that even in Vader, he could still feel the good, the conflict within him. He went to confront Ben about the tendencies he had been picking up on, and in that moment, with Ben's guard down, he felt no good, no conflict within him, and it scared him, enough to ignite that lightsaber for a moment.

I know a lot of people do, but I have no problem with that scene.
Obi-Wan Jabroni is online now  
Old 02-20-19, 01:42 PM
  #788  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,907
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
See the way that I read that is that even in Vader, he could still feel the good, the conflict within him. He went to confront Ben about the tendencies he had been picking up on, and in that moment, with Ben's guard down, he felt no good, no conflict within him, and it scared him, enough to ignite that lightsaber for a moment.

I know a lot of people do, but I have no problem with that scene.
I just think that if Luke sensed any good in Vader who was second to only Palpatine in terms of carrying out essentially genocide that he would have tried helping Ben. At that point Ben hadn't actually done anything. He just sensed a strong darkness in him.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 02-20-19, 01:42 PM
  #789  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,695
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni View Post
See the way that I read that is that even in Vader, he could still feel the good, the conflict within him. He went to confront Ben about the tendencies he had been picking up on, and in that moment, with Ben's guard down, he felt no good, no conflict within him, and it scared him, enough to ignite that lightsaber for a moment.

I know a lot of people do, but I have no problem with that scene.
Except in both TFA and TLJ we are shown that Ben is full of nothing but conflict. Why wouldn't he have it when Luke went to confront him?
stvn1974 is offline  
Old 02-20-19, 01:44 PM
  #790  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DaveyJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 18,610
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

A lot of innocent people died before Vader's "redemption," including an entire planet. I don't think Luke wanted to see that happen again.
DaveyJoe is offline  
Old 02-20-19, 01:49 PM
  #791  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Obi-Wan Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Detroit
Posts: 10,608
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
Except in both TFA and TLJ we are shown that Ben is full of nothing but conflict. Why wouldn't he have it when Luke went to confront him?
Perhaps Ben was having a very strong dark side vision in that moment. Or perhaps Ben, or Ben and Luke both, were being influenced by Snoke in that moment.

Whatever Luke felt, he probably hadn't felt anything like it since standing before the Emperor, and he pulled his light saber in that moment too, before eventually refusing to fight.

Last edited by Obi-Wan Jabroni; 02-20-19 at 03:36 PM.
Obi-Wan Jabroni is online now  
Old 02-20-19, 02:50 PM
  #792  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
stvn1974's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 4,695
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
A lot of innocent people died before Vader's "redemption," including an entire planet. I don't think Luke wanted to see that happen again.
So instead of trying to help stop the evil that he created he left for an island to pout while the galaxy was in turmoil. Still makes no sense.
stvn1974 is offline  
Old 02-20-19, 03:05 PM
  #793  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DaveyJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 18,610
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by stvn1974 View Post
So instead of trying to help stop the evil that he created he left for an island to pout while the galaxy was in turmoil. Still makes no sense.
Different goalpost.
DaveyJoe is offline  
Old 02-20-19, 03:35 PM
  #794  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mike86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,907
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
The fishing scene was okay, but the titty milk was just cringey. I felt embarassed for Mark Hamill in that scene.
Yeah, sucking the creatureís tit for milk is one of the stupidest things in a Star Wars film ever. Iíd put it worse than some of the stupidest things in the prequels.
Mike86 is offline  
Old 02-20-19, 03:36 PM
  #795  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DaveyJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 18,610
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post

Yeah, sucking the creatureís tit for milk is one of the stupidest things in a Star Wars film ever. Iíd put it worse than some of the stupidest things in the prequels.
Never had fresh milk straight from a cow's udder?
DaveyJoe is offline  
Old 02-20-19, 03:57 PM
  #796  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Brooklyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,253
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
I just imagine you responding at a party by immediately googling numerous links and quoting them back to the individual, while demanding references and citations in return.
So true.
Brooklyn is offline  
Old 02-20-19, 07:53 PM
  #797  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Tom Banjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Auburn, AL
Posts: 3,489
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Goddammit, y’all can’t go talk about the tittie milk in the TLJ thread?
Tom Banjo is offline  
Old 02-20-19, 09:00 PM
  #798  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 30,500
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe View Post
Never had fresh milk straight from a cow's udder?


Josh-da-man is offline  
Old 02-21-19, 12:50 AM
  #799  
DVD Talk Legend
 
DaveyJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 18,610
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

DaveyJoe is offline  
Old 02-21-19, 08:02 AM
  #800  
Moderator
 
dex14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 26,934
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Please keep TLJ bitching out of here. Go run circles again in that thread if you want.


Tapley works for Variety:


dex14 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.