Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-18, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts
re: The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Truthfully I like the idea of a younger Bruce/Batman. The stories set within the Year One timeframe (which there are more stories than just Year One itself) are some of my favorites. Also I think by doing a younger version that leaves the door open to a lot. Hopefully whoever is signed will be in the role for a while so we can explore some different villains and maybe bring in Robin at some point. I feel like a younger actor will also be able to grow into the role hopefully and maybe we could get a legacy version of the character like we’ve seen with RDJ as Stark/Iron Man and others.
Old 07-26-18, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

2020: Justice League 2 in summer, Batman in the fall?

What about Man of Steel 2? Gotham Sirens? Suicide Squad 2?
Old 07-26-18, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don’t expect a sequel to Justice League anytime soon. The brand is pretty well damaged at this point. It needs a good cool off and when a new one finally is made it needs to be done right.
Old 08-02-18, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

Matt Reeves Expects a Draft of ‘The Batman’ in Two Weeks, Will Be a “Noir-Driven Definitive Batman Story” [TCA 2018]

Matt Reeves was on a Television Critics Association panel today to promote his midseason Fox drama The Passage, based on the novel by Justin Cronin. After the panel, Reeves gave reporters and update on his The Batman film. Here’s what he had to say about a potential shooting draft, production start date, Ben Affleck’s continued role in the film, those Year One rumors and more.

The Script Could Be Done Very Soon
Reeves has been talking about The Batman as a hypothetical since he was announced as the director. Now he says he’s honing in on a script.

“We are working on getting our draft [in] the next couple weeks,” Reeves said. “Right now, my head is totally into the script. Right now, I’m going to be leaving here to go back to work on the script.”

What’s more, this draft could be on the fast track to film early next year.

“What we’ve talked about is hopefully in the spring or early summer, something like that,” Reeves said.

Rumors of Ben Affleck’s Retirement Have Been Exaggerated
It’s been reported, and even inferred from Affleck himself, that he would not reprise the role of Bruce Wayne/Batman in The Batman. Reeves said he was still speaking with Affleck, but was coy about who might play the caped crusader in the film.

“There are ways in which all of this connects to DC, to the DC universe as well,” Reeves said. “We’re one piece of many pieces so I don’t want to comment on that except to say that I’m focused very specifically on this aspect of the DC world.”

After the connected movies from Man of Steel through Justice League, DC announced plans to focus on more individual movies. That also gives Affleck an out, but Reeves’ suggestion that there’s a way to have Affleck involved, without ruling out recasting a younger Batman, is intriguing.

The most obvious idea could be that the Bruce Wayne we know as Ben Affleck could bookend the movie, recalling this case from his younger days. Two Batmen for the price of one!

Reeves added that the shift in direction for DC films did not alter his plans for The Batman.

“From the beginning, what I had always spoken about with Warner Brothers and what I was excited about was being in the Batuniverse and really doing something within that sphere,” Reeves said. “That was always what it was going to be so in that way it hasn’t changed a lot since I first met with them. It’s very much the same thrust if that makes sense. A lot of things have happened since then but the movie, and why I’m excited about it, is it continues to be the same inspirations and excitement of what we talked about in the beginning.”

It’s Not Year One
Reports pegged The Batman as an adaptation of the comic book arc Year One, which was also the subject of a Batman reboot developed by Darren Aronofsky in 2000 that never came to pass. Reeves confirmed The Batman is not a retelling of Year One.

“We’re not doing any particular [comic],” Reeves said. “Year One is one of the many comic books that I love. We are definitely not doing Year One. It’s just exciting to be focused very specifically on a tale that is defining for him and very personal to him. Obviously we’re not doing an origin tale or anything like that. We’re doing a story that is definitively Batman though and trying to tell a story that’s emotional and yet is really about him being the world’s greatest detective and all the things that for me, since I was a kid, made me love Batman.”

While Reeves may be a Batman comic book aficionado, he will blend all his favorite Bat tales into something new, reflecting the decades-long history of Batman on screen.

“I’ve talked about making it a very point of view noir-driven definitive Batman story in which he is investigating a particular case and that takes us out into the world of Gotham,” Reeves said. “I went on a deep dive again revisiting all my favorite comics. Those all inform by osmosis. There’s no continuation of the Nolan films. It’s very much trying to find a way to do this as something that for me is going to be definitively Batman and new and cool.”
https://www.slashfilm.com/the-batman-update/
Old 08-02-18, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

So nothing new
Old 08-02-18, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, two things stood out: 1. Production likely starting Spring/Summer 2019 and 2. Year One, despite the rumors, isn't the big basis of the movie
Old 08-02-18, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Under Reeves direction Affleck would probably be even better than he was in the other movies.
Old 08-02-18, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 914 Likes on 649 Posts

The Affleck bit sounds intriguing. Have him shave and work out a bit/lose a few lbs and he could play a younger Batman.

Or the movie could be one giant flashback with Affleck narrating/in the bookend sequences.
Old 08-02-18, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still think at this point it’s for the best to scrap Affleck. I liked his performance in Batman V Superman despite not liking the film but realistically he was old for the part in the first place and by the time this comes out he’ll be older and logically it doesn’t make sense if this version of Batman is supposed to be younger.
Old 08-02-18, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
I still think at this point it’s for the best to scrap Affleck. I liked his performance in Batman V Superman despite not liking the film but realistically he was old for the part in the first place and by the time this comes out he’ll be older and logically it doesn’t make sense if this version of Batman is supposed to be younger.
Shockingly, I actually agree. Time for both Affleck and the studio to move on.
Old 08-02-18, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Shockingly, I actually agree. Time for both Affleck and the studio to move on.
Hey we actually don’t disagree all that often. I just am not afraid to give DC/WB (deserved) shit.
Old 08-02-18, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86
Hey we actually don’t disagree all that often. I just am not afraid to give DC/WB (deserved) shit.
And there you go ruining a nice moment

It's not that I'm afraid, I actually and genuinely have enjoyed the DC slate (for the most part*)

* Although Suicide Squad certainly dropped down in enjoyment for me since its release and Justice League is just fun but nothing special, which in itself is a disappointment as it is, well, Justice League. Having watched The Death of Superman animated movie, I do think WB/DC should have built up the universe and could've made that story work so much better.
Old 08-02-18, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 08-22-18, 10:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Looks like Batfleck just read the script.

Just kidding, hope he pulls through.

https://people.com/movies/ben-afflec...he-third-time/
Old 08-22-18, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,193 Likes on 919 Posts

Alcohol is amazing but knowing when to say when is important. Some folks just can't handle the shit and get in trouble.
Old 08-23-18, 08:25 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

Affleck just auditioning for the role of Tony Stark
Old 08-23-18, 08:40 AM

Received 4,605 Likes on 3,121 Posts

Old 08-23-18, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TGM
Affleck just auditioning for the role of Tony Stark
I almost made the same joke last night.
Old 08-26-18, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

EXCLUSIVE: WB HAS MET WITH OSCAR ISAAC FOR AN UNKNOWN ROLE IN ‘THE BATMAN’

Omega Underground has learned from sources that Star Wars actor Oscar Isaac (Operation Finale, The Promise, Ex Machina) has met with Warner Bros. for an undisclosed role in The Batman. An offer hasn’t been made but there is talk that Oscar is very interested in being part of the movie.

While his role is unknown, it’s been said that the studio is targeting an A-list actor to play the film’s main villain.
https://thegww.com/exclusive-wb-has-...in-the-batman/
Old 08-26-18, 05:53 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Probably a third iteration of the Joker.
Old 08-26-18, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Joking aside, it's likely The Penguin... But it's DC so snark away.
Old 08-26-18, 06:27 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

I'd bet the Riddler.

Last edited by TGM; 08-26-18 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-26-18, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I'd bet the Ridler.
Isaac would make an interesting Riddler, who’d be a good detective-heavy villain for a “noir-driven” Batman.
Old 08-26-18, 06:35 PM

Received 4,605 Likes on 3,121 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
I'd bet the Riddler.
When I read that headline that was my first thought too. But as The Movieman mentioned, The Penguin has been a rumor for a while. Maybe (hopefully) the script has changed.
Old 08-26-18, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It wouldn't surprise me if The Penguin isn't the only villain. Likely in Matt Reeves' Batman, he'll be a gangster type, so there probably will need someone else to be the physical threat to Batman. If it were The Penguin, I would've thought Andy Serkis would be great. But who the hell knows, anything that's been "reported" is only rumor and speculation. We won't know anything until we see some sort of actual announcement from the studio.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.