Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-19, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
re: The Batman (2022, D: Matt Reeves) S: Pattinson

Why are people up in arms about the Twilight guy being Batman? There are so many damn Batman's and reboots, there are enough to please any fan. I loved The Bale/Nolan Trilogy, and I liked the Keaton/Burton movies, why should I care about any new ones when I have those ones to always watch? This is essentially a reboot for a new generation, right? I respect the studio more when they do a full reboot, rather than a half-ass reboot/nostalgia like they did with Star Wars and Terminator bringing old Mark Hamill and Linda Hamilton out of retirement and usually fucking their characters up.
Old 06-03-19, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Huh. Pattinson's a few years older than Bale was in Batman Begins.
Old 06-03-19, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

But he looks younger.

BTW, I assume those three bat emojis signify Pattinson has signed on for The Batman and two sequels?
Old 06-03-19, 02:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Lot of assuming there. Was that confirmed?
Old 06-03-19, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by E Unit
Lot of assuming there. Was that confirmed?
Which part? The trilogy part, no. However, almost guarantee the deal includes sequel options. And could explain why Reeves was taking so long writing, especially if he has a vision for a trilogy.
Old 06-03-19, 04:54 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Which part? The trilogy part, no. However, almost guarantee the deal includes sequel options. And could explain why Reeves was taking so long writing, especially if he has a vision for a trilogy.
Most of the trades I read said he signed a 3 picture deal.
Old 06-04-19, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Quick" Debates and Secret Screen Tests: How Robert Pattinson Became Batman

In reality, Pattinson was not the Caped Crusader…just yet. Hours after his Cannes duties in designer duds, he would be on a plane to Los Angeles to face perhaps the biggest test of his acting career: putting on a Batsuit for director Matt Reeves, who is casting The Batman.

That test was officially passed Friday, when Warner Bros. announced that Pattinson had won the role. The decision was the culmination of an intense process that insiders describe as surprisingly quick. As opposed to most superhero casting efforts, which often include far-and-wide searches and dozens of screen tests for the likes of Superman or more recently, Spider-Man, the Batman process was notably smooth.

“It was quick,” says one Warners insider. “Quicker than normal.”

Reeves is said to have considered Pattinson, 33, early on in the process, says one source, even though no outreach was made. Reeves didn’t even know if the actor wanted the part. Since Pattinson shot to fame as a heartthrob vampire in the Twilight films, he has built a solid résumé in smaller, well-reviewed independent films like Good Time and Maps to the Stars. He has assiduously avoided big studio franchise films.

But that fact actually made him more attractive to Reeves and the executive team at Warner Bros. Specifically, Pattinson has not yet appeared in a Marvel Studios movie, and name-brand actors not working for the DC Comics rival are becoming few and far between. While there are no contract provisions prohibiting Marvel actors from appearing in DC/Warner Bros. movies and vice versa, execs believe that cross-pollination dilutes both brands and can cause confusion for audiences, especially from a marketing point of view.

Pattinson and Hoult put on a suit from a previous Batman movie, as has become customary in the Bat-test process. (Christian Bale, before landing Batman Begins, performed his test in the suit used by Val Kilmer in 1995’s Batman Forever, for instance.) Did they embody the character? How did their eyes look and act? Is there a specialness to them? Those were the questions Reeves and the studio wanted answered.

“(Reeves) wanted very specific things,” says one insider. “He knew what he was looking for.”

Reeves and Warners execs took the week after Memorial Day to deliberate their choices, and by Thursday night, made the calls to the actors. The Batman who would lead the studio into the 2020s had been found.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...batman-1215438

(Posted some of the more interesting snippets. Also, says production will begin in early 2020, though read elsewhere it was later this year)
Old 06-04-19, 11:56 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Also from that article:
Reeves, who was hired to write and direct a new Batman movie in February 2017, was envisioning actors while penning the script, according to sources familiar with the filmmaker’s thinking. It helped that this new Batman needed to conform to a defined age bracket. He is written as around 30 years old, and the story is neither another rehashing of his origin nor the tale of a seasoned crimefighter ruling Gotham City. He is Bruce Wayne still trying to find his footing on his way to becoming the genius detective.
Old 06-04-19, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

It's about Wayne on his way to becoming BM but it's not an origin story? And he's already around 30yo and not BM yet?
Old 06-04-19, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

I heard that Robert Pattinson was in Twilight.
Old 06-04-19, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Kind of a refreshing take if you ask me. We don't have to go through the origin yet again, and we can see a Batman who's semi starting out.
Old 06-04-19, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan
It's about Wayne on his way to becoming BM but it's not an origin story? And he's already around 30yo and not BM yet?
No. The way I'm reading it, he's probably been Batman a few years, but still figuring things out, honing all of his skills (including being world's greatest detective as he's been portrayed in the comics but not fully explored in the movies, we see hints of it like in Batman '89 as he researches the Joker's chemical combinations, finding where Scarecrow's drugs are going in Batman Begins, or the bullet fragments in Dark Knight Rises).

Also, in fairness, Bruce was 29, almost 30 (in fact he's celebrating his 30th when Ras re-appeared) when he first suits up.
Old 06-04-19, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Meh, still sounds like a complete re-hash. I'll wait to see trailers/more story info.
Old 06-04-19, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

There's been a terrible misunderstanding - Pattinson is British and he's starring in a new biopic about cricketer Wally Hammond titled The Batsman
Old 06-04-19, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

I am still interested but I really don't know what else they can do with the character. I also hope it isn't coma inducing boring like War Of The Planet Of The Apes.
Old 06-04-19, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Like I said, doing more of him being a detective. Course, it would be hard to top what the great Christopher Nolan did with his Batman series, so...
Old 06-04-19, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Has there been any word of who the villain will be for the first film?
Old 06-04-19, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan
Has there been any word of who the villain will be for the first film?
No confirmation. Rumor is a fair number from Batman's rogues gallery will be involved (think The Long Halloween if you're familiar with that Batman limited comic series). Pretty sure The Penguin is all but certain.
Old 06-04-19, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks; very familiar with Long Halloween. I have the full graphic novel.
Old 06-04-19, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I feel like the film will follow in the path of one of the early years Batman stories after Year One. So basically like mentioned The Long Halloween or Dark Victory. There’s a lot of good early stories to draw inspiration from (Snow would be great if they ever do Mr. Freeze).

To me that’s actually one of my favorite periods of Batman. When he’s established but not the Worlds Greatest Detective yet. I’d actually like to see a few films following a younger Bruce and progress him into the seasoned crime fighter he later becomes.
Old 06-04-19, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Plus Matt Reeves knows Jeph Loeb, so would makes sense if he would draw from TLH and TDV:

Old 06-04-19, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

But that fact actually made him more attractive to Reeves and the executive team at Warner Bros. Specifically, Pattinson has not yet appeared in a Marvel Studios movie, and name-brand actors not working for the DC Comics rival are becoming few and far between. While there are no contract provisions prohibiting Marvel actors from appearing in DC/Warner Bros. movies and vice versa, execs believe that cross-pollination dilutes both brands and can cause confusion for audiences, especially from a marketing point of view.
If this is such a concern, then why was Nicholas Hoult (who has been playing Beast in the X-Men movies for the last 8 years) the other option?

Yeah it's technically not Marvel Studios, but it's still Marvel.
Old 06-04-19, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
If this is such a concern, then why was Nicholas Hoult (who has been playing Beast in the X-Men movies for the last 8 years) the other option?

Yeah it's technically not Marvel Studios, but it's still Marvel.
I think because he wasn't part of the MCU and spent a good amount of time, I guess, under blue make up. IDK. That could be BS or the studio's actual thinking. I could believe either one.

Doesn't matter, seems like Reeves got his pick.
Old 06-04-19, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Riiiight. So if Chris Hemsworth showed up to audition for Batman they'd turn him away at the door? Or Robert Downey Jr calls up Warners wanting to play the villain and they'd just pass? Come on.
Old 06-04-19, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hemsworth is close to the age they were looking for, but I actually think they would turn him away since he is most connected to Thor, and to be honest, probably always will be.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.