Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018, D: Miller/Lord and Ron Howard)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018, D: Miller/Lord and Ron Howard)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-18, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts
Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018, D: Miller/Lord and Ron Howard)

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I’m with 2Hype, and I don’t think that is where he was going. To hijack your analogy Decker, it would be more like explaining where Jesse Owens got the shoes he wore in that race or showing us the origin of Jackie Robinson’s baseball glove as it is being given to him by a relative of Abraham Lincoln.

Show me pivotal moments that define who Han Solo becomes. Don’t show me a series of trivial moments over a two week span that explains all of his personality and tells us where his blaster came from, where the dice came from, and what the red strips on his pants means. This is the challenge of a movie like this — a film that should be AN adventure becomes an attempt to check boxes and cram a fictional biopic into a short time frame. It should not be a biopic.

It is like the one criticism of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade which I agree with: the essential “whole” of who Indy becomes, down to the hat and trivial scar, is laid out in one afternoon of his childhood. No.
I totally get where you are coming from. Absolutely I do. And yet, I totally disagree. We only get one chance to see this, so I want it all in there, and not as a hagiography. I want to see all the important stuff - meeting Chewie, getting a smuggling job, teaming with Lando, winning the Falcon, making the Kessell Run -- all of it in one tidy package. Sure it probably would have taken years to check all those boxes, not two weeks but I don't mind as long as the story is fun and entertaining

Edited to clarify : I would have been FINE with this movie never getting made. It feels totally unnecessary. But IF it had to get made for whatever financial reason, I wanted the story to be something like what we are apparently getting.

For the record, that River Phoenix opening sequence is, by far, my favorite Indiana Jones scene post-Raiders. I wonder if we get an alternative explanation here for the chin scar (and I kinda hope we do! )

Last edited by Decker; 04-30-18 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-30-18, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

As you said, THE IMPORTANT things ... the things you listed (although I'm putting the Kessel Run on the "maybe" list). Getting his blaster? That's more on the trivial side.

Yeah, I'm still there opening weekend though. I'm a whore.
Old 05-01-18, 06:39 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

still not convinced on he lead as Han Solo, but as a sci fi movie this looks fantastic.

and I will admit the final shot of Han catching the blaster from Lando and striking that iconic Han Solo aiming pose did give me some slight chills.
Old 05-03-18, 09:11 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

I'm guessing tickets will go on sale tomorrow - May the 4th.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i3Cyofu6hLE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/o6XERmXsP-U" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-03-18, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Deadline says the tracking on this film is as high as $170 million, which if this number hold the closer we get to the films release is pretty darn impressive.
Old 05-03-18, 12:25 PM

Not that surprising considering Rogue One opened to $150mil.
Old 05-03-18, 12:47 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

OMG! Capes!

Has there always been a small sleeping birth right above where you sit to play “space chess”?
Old 05-04-18, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been kinda blase on this movie for the most part, but dammit, hearing the Asteroid Field music and seeing what happens at the end of this clip, had me tearing up.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DgaC0ytqdv4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-04-18, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I like most of what I'm seeing in the clips, but to be nitpicky - i don't like how he's excessively moving the control yoke back and forth like he's a kid pretending to drive a car.

Compare to Asteroid scene from Empire, and Ford just looks more natural - little movements, like really driving a car.
Old 05-04-18, 12:04 PM

Got my tickets.
Old 05-04-18, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I was hesitant about this but as it gets nearer I’m getting more excited for it. Kind of feels like it could be a surprise and turn out better than expected going off the latest trailer and that clip.
Old 05-04-18, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Got my tickets for a 7pm showing on 5/24. Taking my 10 year old who probably loves SW more than I did as a kid... ok, no he doesn't - but close.
Old 05-04-18, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Will wait for the reviews or a video release. Ron Howard's directing has been more miss than hit for me during his career.
Old 05-04-18, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I like Howard's directing, it's workmanlike but generally well done. He does pick some uninteresting scripts to shoot, though. And the last sci-fi/fantasy-ish movie he shot was what, Willow?
Old 05-04-18, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I like Howard's directing, it's workmanlike but generally well done. He does pick some uninteresting scripts to shoot, though. And the last sci-fi/fantasy-ish movie he shot was what, Willow?
No, Apollo 13. (j/k I really enjoyed that film.)

The Da Vinci Code, Angels & Demons, and Inferno his trifecta of large scale misses makes me wary of Solo. Hopefully, he can win me over with this.
Old 05-05-18, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
I like most of what I'm seeing in the clips, but to be nitpicky - i don't like how he's excessively moving the control yoke back and forth like he's a kid pretending to drive a car.

Compare to Asteroid scene from Empire, and Ford just looks more natural - little movements, like really driving a car.

I remember some interview with Harrison Ford regarding this. He asked George Lucas how to fly the Falcon, and GL told him to pretty much just yank levers and push buttons, but Ford felt there should be some logic behind his hand's actions, so he came up with things for each control to actually "do".

Of course, maybe this scene is to show that young Han really doesn't know how to fly despite his bravado.

As for the movie, I think it looks fine and should be an enjoyable popcorn flick. I don't get why people are constantly shitting on it like it's stars Guy Fieri with a soundtrack by Nickelback.
Old 05-05-18, 07:49 AM

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
I don't get why people are constantly shitting on it like it's stars Guy Fieri with a soundtrack by Nickelback.
Wow, Ron Howard's reshoots really went away from the original vision.
Old 05-05-18, 08:46 AM

Apparently presale tickets are double what Black Panther was at this point.
Old 05-05-18, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

It's weird that this is the first SW movie that isn't on anyone's radar I'm friends with as usually we would have worked out a time to see the movie opening weekend. I'm a big fan of Ron Howard's work, but Solo's backstory just hasn't moved the needle for me since day one. In the end it really doesn't matter if fans like me and my friends miss this because it will make a boat load of money as the franchise is bigger then all of us at this point.
Old 05-05-18, 08:55 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I'm finding myself more and more excited about this because I'm jonesing for Star Wars and was completely let down by TLJ. Not to mention that the trailers have been excellent.

I predict the reviews will ultimately say that the movie is a fun sci-fi space romp, squeezes in just enough nostalgia, but the lead is lacking the charisma of Harrison Ford and you never really feel like it is Han Solo.
Old 05-05-18, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Saw a picture of Lando (pretty sure) that I wish I hadn't.

Spoiler:
In his Jabbas Palace disguise.
Old 05-05-18, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I’ve been getting the “it doesn’t need to exist” attitude from my friends in regards to this film. Which granted it doesn’t but then again I don’t care that it’s happening. At first I was more skeptical on it but I always planned on seeing it and the trailers are looking good.
Old 05-05-18, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
At first I was more skeptical on it but I always planned on seeing it and the trailers are looking good.
I never met a SW trailer I didn't love, so I never use them as a barometer for a movie anymore (The 2nd Episode III trailer is still one of the best). These people who put together these trailers (for all franchise movies) are damn good at what they do, as I would love to know if there is a special formula they use on which type of short scenes they take from the overall movie? There still has to be a fine line because you can't take a scene that gives too much away, but still something that will get a rise out of the fans.
Old 05-05-18, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
Saw a picture of Lando (pretty sure) that I I wish I hadn't.

Spoiler:
In his Jabbas Palace disguise.
I don’t think that’s it. I saw a Lando figure at the store the other day and it was not what you said there.
Old 05-07-18, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by Kal-El
I've been kinda blase on this movie for the most part, but dammit, hearing the Asteroid Field music and seeing what happens at the end of this clip, had me tearing up.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DgaC0ytqdv4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I will say that the asteroid music is what really did it. I really think that John Williams score is highly under appreciated in terms of Star Wars’s overall success if you think about it it’s one of the big reasons we look back on it with such fond emotions, oftentimes despite how the movies actually fair.

That being said that delivery was just incredibly flat to me. Hopefully the moment plays differently in the movie, but Chewie getting in the copilot seat should have been a bigger moment than that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.