Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018, D: Miller/Lord and Ron Howard)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018, D: Miller/Lord and Ron Howard)

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-17, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts
re: Star Wars Anthology: Untitled Han Solo Film (2018, D: Miller/Lord & Ron Howard)

Originally Posted by DJariya
THR says Lord and Miller were fired because they clashed with Lawrence Kasdan.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...-fired-1015474
Interesting article. As much as I'd like to see this particular project go away entirely, it sounds like Kennedy made the right call here.

If Lord & Miller were insistent on bringing their "Jump Street" style broad comedy and improv to this movie, then good riddance. I'm all for seeing some new blood shake things up in this franchise, but that particular approach doesn't sound like it fit with the Solo character or the overall tone Lucasfilm is trying to maintain. It's just strange that all parties involved allowed the production to get that far along without finding some common ground.

Last edited by joe_b; 06-21-17 at 05:31 AM.
Old 06-21-17, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
re: Star Wars Anthology: Untitled Han Solo Film (2018, D: Miller/Lord & Ron Howard)

I was never interested in seeing anyone but Harrison Ford play Han Solo , so the very concept of this film didn't jive with me from day one. But right off the bat, hiring the guys from the fucking 21 Jump Street movies was a Mickey Mouse idea. I mean the Lego movie was pretty good, but I still think these guys are more or less bums. Or at the very least the wrong people to make this movie. I think Kathleen Kennedy hired proven success over talent. If the 21 Jump Street movies are a template for what kind of vibe this movie was going to have as far as improvisation and the flow and chemistry of the performances, thank God they were fired. But I put more blame on Disney for hiring them in the first place.

I liked Force Awakens and Rogue One well enough, both were good movies. But I'm still not convinced the internal apparatus and the way these films are being creatively structured is ever going to lead to them making a great one. Rogue One was good, but who knows what Gareth Edwards Directors cut was going to look like. Granted it could have been worse, but who knows, maybe it was amazing.

Disney and Kennedy are trying to sell these movies as prestige blockbusters. Not like a Pierce Brosnan Bond movie from the 90's where the director is an afterthought, someone who's capable of connecting the dots and making sure the machinery of a blockbuster keeps chugging along while staying on budget and delivering a product that meets the expectations of all the various money people who have a vested interest in the film. I think even though they are hiring talent (as well as questionable talent) I'm not completely convinced they aren't being made to work under those types of conditions either begrudgingly or willingly.

I'm apprehensive about the future of these movies, or maybe I'm just full of shit and paranoid. I dunno, we'll see how The Last Jedi turns out.
Old 06-21-17, 06:42 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
The difference w the episode films has been hiring more veteran, established directors...and they have been on board for a few years now, involved w the story teams, etc.
Miller & Lord are much more established than Trevorrow, IMO.
Old 06-21-17, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I'm apprehensive about the future of these movies, or maybe I'm just full of shit and paranoid. I dunno, we'll see how The Last Jedi turns out.
I'd be more concerned with Episode IX than The Last Jedi.
Old 06-21-17, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
The article states there is a DGA rule that prevents someone currently involved with the project from being hired as a replacement.
That didn't stop Tony Gilroy from taking over Rogue One.
Old 06-21-17, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
I'd be more concerned with Episode IX than The Last Jedi.
yeah we'll see. The jury is still out for me when it comes to Trevorrow. I loved Safety Not Guaranteed. Jurassic World was mild fun. Haven't seen Book of Henry yet. But thats part of my point, they're going for success over talent. Jurassic World obviously landed him the job, but he's far from proven himself. Why can't the Jeff Nichols and Denis Villeneuve's of the world land a job like that.
Old 06-21-17, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
yeah we'll see. The jury is still out for me when it comes to Trevorrow. I loved Safety Not Guaranteed. Jurassic World was mild fun. Haven't seen Book of Henry yet. But thats part of my point, they're going for success over talent. Jurassic World obviously landed him the job, but he's far from proven himself. Why can't the Jeff Nichols and Denis Villeneuve's of the world land a job like that.
Villeneuve getting Blade Runner is comparable. But him doing a SW movie would be fucking awesome!
Old 06-21-17, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Book of Henry is getting slammed... it's being called disjointed and under-developed. So that has me concerned for IX.
Old 06-21-17, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Villeneuve getting Blade Runner is comparable. But him doing a SW movie would be fucking awesome!
I guess you like long boring exposition and narratives in your SW movies.
Old 06-21-17, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I guess you like long boring exposition and narratives in your SW movies.
Still better than long boring political speeches, cheesy action and opinions on sand.

I'd be down for a Villeneuve Star Wars (loved Sicario, Incendies and Prisoners), but we all known that won't happen. And I do think he'd be a better fit for Dune. But then, apparently so did studio heads when they handed David Lynch Dune after he turned down Star Wars.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-21-17 at 09:03 AM.
Old 06-21-17, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Still better than long boring political speeches, cheesy action and opinions on sand.
Are you sure you aren't referring to Dune?
Old 06-21-17, 09:43 AM

Kyle Newman, who directed the Star Wars-inspired movie Fanboys and the live stage show Star Wars: Smuggler's Revenge, threw his hat into the ring via Twitter. Responding to a reporter in a series of tweets, he wrote, "I'm available. To be honest, I'd kill it. Was born for it. And know Solo inside out. And am free. As in I would cost zero dollars. I'm not shiny and new. But goddamn could I direct the f--k out of some Star Wars. I have my doctorate in it after all. No fear. Only adrenaline. If it's Star Wars, then I'm your guy. Period. I know Solo inside and out. You'd enjoy my Han Solo radio dramas recorded live at the past three domestic SW Celebrations. I truly feel like I'm wasting my life NOT working on Star Wars in some capacity. I would go supernova and blow people's minds."

Newman added, "It could be a great film and will be a great film." As for Lord and Miller, who directed The Lego Movie, he wrote, "Those guys are great and their DNA will still be all over it." Newman also suggested Dave Filoni, an executive producer on Star Wars Rebels, as an option. A director will be announced ASAP, as the film's May 25, 2018 release date remains unchanged.
Old 06-21-17, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Are you sure you aren't referring to Dune?
It weirdly applies to both.
Old 06-21-17, 09:53 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm surprised at how many people are in favor of the Lord/Miller firing. They were literally the only reason I was interested in this movie. Now I'm out unless it gets absolutely stellar reviews.
Old 06-21-17, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I'm surprised at how many people are in favor of the Lord/Miller firing. They were literally the only reason I was interested in this movie. Now I'm out unless it gets absolutely stellar reviews.
I love declarations like this. I don't buy for a single second that barring "absolutely stellar reviews", you won't see this movie.
Old 06-21-17, 10:04 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by lopper
I love declarations like this. I don't buy for a single second that barring "absolutely stellar reviews", you won't see this movie.
Why? I already have low interest in the non-episode films (unless they bring Ewan back for Obi-Wan solo films), and have even less interest in seeing another actor play Han Solo.

I suppose if my wife is dying to see it I'll go, but otherwise it'll have to be widely acclaimed to raise my interest meter beyond "meh".
Old 06-21-17, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Not everybody is gung ho about Star Wars. A Han Solo movie without Harrison Ford is one of the worst ideas they could have come up with this early in the reignition of the franchise.
Old 06-21-17, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I think you mean Star Trek. It's Star Trek the one that's supposed to be intellectual and boring
Old 06-21-17, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Not everybody is gung ho about Star Wars. A Han Solo movie without Harrison Ford is one of the worst ideas they could have come up with this early in the reignition of the franchise.
Even if the movie gets horrible reviews I will eventually watch it out of curiosity
Old 06-21-17, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

You know when people say that they mostly just mean "in theaters."

I'll echo his comment, mostly because Lord and Miller were the draw for me as well and I still haven't seen The Force Awakens or Rogue One.

Rogue One will be on Netflix on July 18th, so I may get around to watching that one finally.
Old 06-21-17, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bet the Miller and Lord wanted to make it into a comedy style movie and lucasfilms didnt want it.
Old 06-21-17, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

When these guys were hired all i heard about was the Lego Movie which I didn't see. Now they're fired and we're hearing Jump Street all over the place. Again I didn't see it but didn't know they directed either.
Old 06-21-17, 11:33 AM
Banned by request

They also did Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs.
Old 06-21-17, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MBoyd
When these guys were hired all i heard about was the Lego Movie which I didn't see. Now they're fired and we're hearing Jump Street all over the place. Again I didn't see it but didn't know they directed either.
Jump Street was an awesome comedy but couldnt see them do a Star wars movie unless it was a comedy
Old 06-21-17, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
Interesting article. As much as I'd like to see this particular project go away entirely, it sounds like Kennedy made the right call here.

If Lord & Miller were insistent on bringing their "Jump Street" style broad comedy and improv to this movie, then good riddance. I'm all for seeing some new blood shake things up in this franchise, but that particular approach doesn't sound like it fit with the Solo character or the overall tone Lucasfilm is trying to maintain. It's just strange that all parties involved allowed the production to get that far along without finding some common ground.
Have to say I agree. Some of these oddball director choices can work out but Lord and Miller should have really known that their typical style wouldn't work for a film like this. This is a major tentpole film not some surprise comedy. It was weird to me that they were chosen to begin with in all honesty. They're a decent directing team but nothing I've seen by them sold me on them being able to do a Star Wars film.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.