Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension (2015, Plotkin)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 09-17-14, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/627417-paranormal-activity-ghost-dimension-2015-p

Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension will be unleashed March 13, 2015.

According to Paramount, this is a direct sequel to the first four and not a spin-off.
Old 12-04-14, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

re: Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones (2014, D: Christopher Landon) Latino spinoff

Correction to my post from three months ago:

Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension will be unleashed in 3D on March 13, 2015.
Old 06-24-15, 05:09 PM

Received 4,556 Likes on 3,091 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y9Jy2T0uQ9Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Paranormal Activity horror franchise is taking its final terror trip.

Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension, in theaters Oct. 23, will mark the conclusion of the franchise that has dominated the Halloween horror month with four previous installments (starting with 2009's Paranormal Activity) and one spinoff.

"It's coming to an end. This is it, the finale," says producer Jason Blum. "We're saying it before the movie opens. We're not going to grind this horror franchise into the ground. This will keep Paranormal Activity as part of this culture and this particular time in a really fantastic way."

As importantly, The Ghost Dimension will answer the bevy of questions at the core of the demonic mystery which have lingered throughout the series. Paranormal Activity 2 (2010), Paranormal Activity 3 (2011), Paranormal Activity 4 (2012) and offshoot Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones (2014) left devoted fans demanding answers about the root of the modern-day hauntings and the mysterious demon Toby.

Filmmakers haven't been forthcoming as the body count has grown.

"We couldn't go just teasing," says Blum. "All the questions that everyone has asked from the past Paranormal Activity films: What does Toby look like? What's the backstory to the families? These questions have been teased out. Now they will be answered."

Even Toby will be revealed after remaining unseen in previous films.

"We've done well without showing Toby, being able to create tensions and scares based on audiences' imagination," says producer Oren Peli. "But people are very curious."

Peli launched the series as director of Paranormal Activity, which he shot for $15,000 on videotape with actors Katie Featherston and Micah Sloat. The found-footage horror, which imagined a demonic possession in a modern San Diego condo, become a phenomenon which has grossed more than $383 million over five small-budget movies.

The franchise has centered around two sisters, Kristi and Katie, dealing with a powerful demon. The movie has made a franchise star out of Featherston, who has played the adult and eventually possessed Katie and the only character to appear in each film.

The Ghost Dimension, directed by Gregory Plotkin, follows a new family, the Fleeges — father Ryan (Chris J. Murray), mother Emily (Brit Shaw) and their young daughter Leila (Ivy George) — who move into a house and discover a video camera and a box of tapes in the garage.

When they look through the camera's lens, they begin to see the paranormal activity happening around them — including the re-emergence of young Kristi and Katie.

The video camera footage is presented onscreen in 3-D, a first for the franchise. It also inflates the bottom line for the film. "It's hard to make 3-D movies with a microbudget," says Blum, who declines to specify how much filmmakers had to work with.

But he says it's worth the cost to celebrate the final Paranormal.

"At some point, might there be a reboot? You never know. We've never discussed it," says Blum. "(But) we made this movie like it's the end of this Paranormal line for sure."
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/m...sive/29069709/
Old 06-24-15, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension (2015, Plotkin)

Interesting take to market 3D...okay I'm down.
Old 06-24-15, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts

"It's coming to an end. This is it, the finale," says producer Jason Blum. "We're saying it before the movie opens. We're not going to grind this horror franchise into the ground. This will keep Paranormal Activity as part of this culture and this particular time in a really fantastic way."
Too fucking late!

I enjoyed the first couple of PA movies but part 4 was a chore to get through and part 5 was so bad I didn't make it through the whole thing.

I'll wait until this one hits Netflix streaming...
Old 06-24-15, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Too fucking late!

I enjoyed the first couple of PA movies but part 4 was a chore to get through and part 5 was so bad I didn't make it through the whole thing.

I'll wait until this one hits Netflix streaming...
That's a pretty popular opinion on the internet, and I've found (at least in my circle of friends) that those who share this same opinion also praise franchises like Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street. I don't think six movies is overkill, especially when each presents a new piece of mythology. However if all this new movie does is raise more questions than answers... oh well it was a fun ride.
Old 06-24-15, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is an unpopular opinion but I've really enjoyed all of the PA movies. Yes, I know they are very formulaic (start slow and non-scary, then very gradually ramp up the tension, and then kill off the cast in the last half hour) but I just dig them!
Old 06-24-15, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

yeah me too. Now that they've confirmed the end of the series, I'd really like a good Blu Ray set when this comes out.
Old 06-29-15, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones (2014, D: Christopher Landon) Latino spinoff

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Y9Jy2T0uQ9Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-29-15, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 189 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones (2014, D: Christopher Landon) Latino spinoff

What's up with reposting the trailer?

I dig this series a lot too. It was kind of the first "Personally intimate" found footage horror flick and I think a lot of people were drawn to it because of that. With that said though...already these flicks haven't aged well - I still love the first one but the others are tough to sit through - I still love the series as a whole though.

This one looks cool and I'm looking forward to how they end it.
Old 06-29-15, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Rival11
What's up with reposting the trailer?
There was another thread that was made for PA5 and PA:TMO. There wasn't really any talk about PA5, but just The Marked Ones so a new thread was created/merged.
Old 06-29-15, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm sure I'll end up seeing this. I still haven't caught The Marked Ones yet though.
Old 10-15-15, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cinemark, Regal, and other chains will not be playing the film next week due to Paramount's trial of putting this film on VOD within two weeks of ending its theatrical release. Paramount is now expecting the film to do $10M or less next weekend.

http://www.thewrap.com/paranormal-ac...heater-chains/

The Wrap is reporting the film to be in over 1350+ locations next weekend, but I don't get how that's possible. All the theaters here in town are operated by Cinemark and Regal with the exception of four (and one of the four is a dollar theater).
Old 10-15-15, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Only two theaters in my area. One is Cinemark, the other Regal. Not that I had any interest having never seen any of these in the theater.
Old 10-15-15, 01:48 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm always amazed at the high quality VHS tapes in this film universe. I'd be okay with ghosts if it meant my VHS tapes of movies looked this good.
Old 10-15-15, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
I'm always amazed at the high quality VHS tapes in this film universe. I'd be okay with ghosts if it meant my VHS tapes of movies looked this good.
And now...3D!! Just like those blank VHS tapes we grew up with.
Old 10-15-15, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Cinemark, Regal, and other chains will not be playing the film next week due to Paramount's trial of putting this film on VOD within two weeks of ending its theatrical release. Paramount is now expecting the film to do $10M or less next weekend.

http://www.thewrap.com/paranormal-ac...heater-chains/

The Wrap is reporting the film to be in over 1350+ locations next weekend, but I don't get how that's possible. All the theaters here in town are operated by Cinemark and Regal with the exception of four (and one of the four is a dollar theater).
I was wondering why they sold this as "Limited Theaters" in the ads, seemed odd.

Also that makes no sense, "VOD 90 days after exiting Theaters" isn't right, it's generally 90 days after entering theaters that it shows up on VOD. But this does make sense from a studio perspective, why spend $30m on advertising a $10m film only to have to do it again 4 months later.
Old 10-15-15, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,189 Likes on 915 Posts

Wow, so it went from the 200 million dollar juggernaut that dethroned Saw to this?
Old 10-15-15, 04:20 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/P7a6vxxZdtQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-15-15, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I haven't watched any of these and I'm not going to until they are in space.
Old 10-15-15, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
I was wondering why they sold this as "Limited Theaters" in the ads, seemed odd.

Also that makes no sense, "VOD 90 days after exiting Theaters" isn't right, it's generally 90 days after entering theaters that it shows up on VOD. But this does make sense from a studio perspective, why spend $30m on advertising a $10m film only to have to do it again 4 months later.
It's specifically VOD two weeks after the theatrical release is over. You're taking a window that's usually twelve weeks and pretty much annihilating it.

I don't think piracy or people not going to the movies caused the last two PA films to underperform, I think it's because they were both steaming piles of shit.
Old 10-15-15, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
It's specifically VOD two weeks after the theatrical release is over. You're taking a window that's usually twelve weeks and pretty much annihilating it.

I don't think piracy or people not going to the movies caused the last two PA films to underperform, I think it's because they were both steaming piles of shit.
Yeah, I found a better explanation of what "exiting theaters" means. PA: TGD will be on VOD 17 days after the movie drops below 300 theaters.
Old 10-15-15, 08:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I loved the first two PA films and enjoyed portions of the third. I think the way they tied the first three movies together was well done. I didn't see the fourth or fifth because of bad reviews. However, I may give this one a whirl just to see how they wrap it up.

And it will only be the last one until 2017 when they get Oren Peli to come back to relaunch the franchise with Oren Peli's New Activity, about a film crew making a new Paranormal Activity film, but the behind the scenes documentary crew starts capturing weird occurrences...

(Note that I love Wes Craven's New Nightmare, I just couldn't resist)
Old 10-15-15, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I somehow forgot that there was a proper PA4
Old 10-15-15, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Wow, so it went from the 200 million dollar juggernaut that dethroned Saw to this?
Like Saw, it extended its time?

Shocked that the last film, which took FOREVER to make (and they had a original run with another 2 or so films I believe) is now hardly getting any market play and if they are doing the VOD thing, might as well make it on VOD right from the start. Such a shame that this franchise crashed so hard. Looks like Saw will have a better finish.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.