Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

21 Jump Street - female spin-off

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

21 Jump Street - female spin-off

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-18, 10:19 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
re: 21 Jump Street - female spin-off

This seems to still be something that is happening...

One idea that has been abandoned is to have the “Men in Black” and “21 Jump Street” franchises overlap in some kind of mashup. That pitch from Chris Lord and Phil Miller is no longer on the front burner. Instead, Sony is focusing on finding the right female comedians to give send back to high school with badges. Rodney Rothman, the writer behind the first two “Jump Street” films, is writing the script and will direct.

“We think that there’s something fun about keeping that irreverent spirit of ‘Jump Street,’ but maybe having it be told through a female undercover cop point-of-view,” said Panitch. “We’ve had enough male buddy comedies. The script is really funny and has a freshness to it.
https://variety.com/2018/film/news/c...et-1202952231/
Old 10-02-18, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dex14
This seems to still be something that is happening...

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/c...et-1202952231/
that first movie is a fucking classic. I laughed so hard in the theaters.

now an all female lead is gonna have to be one good combo because i doubt it will top the other
Old 10-02-18, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

How does simply changing it from males to females and rehashing the "undercover cop in highschool" plot make it "refreshing"? Ugh... we need more originality besides just genderswapping.
Old 10-02-18, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
How does simply changing it from males to females and rehashing the "undercover cop in highschool" plot make it "refreshing"? Ugh... we need more originality besides just genderswapping.
Because women have different perspectives and encounter different situations than men do?
Old 10-02-18, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

This seems like something Emma Stone would be cast for, though that could just be due to Superbad and Maniac co-staring Jonah Hill.
Old 10-02-18, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by RichC2
This seems like something Emma Stone would be cast for, though that could just be due to Superbad and Maniac co-staring Jonah Hill.
I would love to see Ice Cube talk shit to Emma Stone.

Old 10-02-18, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I like Emma Stone so if that would be the case I'm totally in for a rental of course
Old 12-06-18, 08:50 AM

Tiffany Haddish is one of the hottest names in comedy at the moment and multiple sources have told Collider that the Girls Trip star is in talks for one of the new leads in Sony’s female-driven reboot of 21 Jump Street. Sony had no comment.

Rodney Rothman (22 Jump Street) is writing and directing the film, while Phil Lord and Chris Miller are expected to return as producers. Now, we know what you’re thinking. At 39 years old, isn’t Haddish a little old to be playing an undercover cop infiltrating a high school? Well, yes… if she was playing a student. But Collider hears that Haddish is going to play a teacher this time around, possibly posing as the mother of a new student — and fellow undercover cop.

As far as that role goes, multiple sources say that Awkwafina is at the top of Sony’s list, and for months I’ve heard that executives over there are big fans of the Crazy Rich Asians actress, who has also been considered for a supporting role in Sony’s Jumanji sequel.

Regardless of who stars opposite Haddish, Sony is looking to rebuild its Jump Street franchise around the breakout star of Girls Trip ($140 million worldwide), who most recently starred opposite newly-minted Oscars host Kevin Hart in another academia-set comedy, Night School, which grossed over $100 million worldwide. She has established herself as a true force of nature in the comedy world, and it makes sense that Sony would entrust her with one of its major franchises — something that Haddish doesn’t have on her budding resume unless you want to count voice roles in sequels to the animated hits The LEGO Movie and The Secret Life of Pets. The idea of pairing her with a fellow comic dynamo like Awkwafina is genuinely exciting, and hopefully Sony can figure out a way for them to partner up on the Jump Street force.

Sony has been eager to cater to female audiences and a female-driven Jump Street movie would join Charlie’s Angels and Little Women on its slate. “We’ve had enough male buddy comedies. The script is really funny and has a freshness to it,” Sony’s Sanford Panitch told Variety earlier this year. In any case, Sony has abandoned its plan to mash-up the Jump Street franchise with the Men in Black franchise, which is getting its own reboot next year led by Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson.

Haddish next stars alongside Melissa McCarthy and Elisabeth Moss in New Line’s crime drama The Kitchen, which will see her flex her dramatic chops. She’ll also star opposite Rose Byrne in the Paramount comedy Limited Partners. Haddish, who continues to star in the TBS sitcom The Last O.G., is represented by APA and Artists First, the latter of which also reps Awkwafina. Reps for both actresses did not respond to a request for comment.
http://collider.com/tiffany-haddish-...reet-awkwafina
Old 12-06-18, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I've enjoyed Awkwafina in supporting roles like Ocean's 8 and Crazy Rich Asians, but I worry she'll be annoying with her shtick in a leading role.

I haven't seen enough of Haddish in anything, especially the recent comedies she's been in to really judge her for this.
Old 12-06-18, 04:11 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Interesting, though the original source material starred both men and women, so I’m not sure why gender swapping is even a thing, but I guess in context of the previous movies it is?
Old 12-06-18, 04:22 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

In what universe does Tiffany Haddish resemble a high school student?
Old 12-06-18, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
In what universe does Tiffany Haddish resemble a high school student?
I guess you didn't read the article.
Old 12-06-18, 04:35 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I read the first sentence.