Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What will be no.1 at the B.O Avengers AOU weekend 3 or Mad Max FR opening weekend?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Who will win the weekend Box Office?
Avengers :Age of Ultron 3rd weekend.
76.92%
Mad Max: Fury Road Opening weekend.
23.08%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

What will be no.1 at the B.O Avengers AOU weekend 3 or Mad Max FR opening weekend?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-15, 04:02 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: What will be no.1 at the B.O Avengers AOU weekend 3 or Mad Max FR opening weekend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
This song certainly gave it worldwide attention
What am I missing here? Many movies get soundtracks. That doesn't mean they are mainstream movies though. The Goonies got a soundtrack, but it's still a cult movie.
Old 04-19-15, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts
Re: What will be no.1 at the B.O Avengers AOU weekend 3 or Mad Max FR opening weekend

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
What am I missing here? Many movies get soundtracks. That doesn't mean they are mainstream movies though. The Goonies got a soundtrack, but it's still a cult movie.
The Goonies isn't a cult movie but for some reason its fans seem to think it is. It's a Richard Donner directed movie based on a story by Steven Spielberg and was the 9th highest grossing movie of 1985. It'd be like considering Big Hero 6 a cult movie.

But still, The Goonies also didn't have a song written for it by a major star of the era. I think there's an association between the song being a huge hit and the movie being well known because of it. Alas the song was more popular than the movie I do believe (charted at #2, Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome was the #24 highest grossing domestic flick of 85.)
Old 04-19-15, 05:04 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I'm sure it'll do well without your 4 tickets.
I didnt say my whopping 4 tickets would make or break the shit movie. Just said I wasted money watching a bland piece of shit , and wasn't going to make that mistake again.
Old 04-19-15, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
But still, The Goonies also didn't have a song written for it by a major star of the era
Cyndi Lauper and her top 10 hit r not good enough?
Old 04-19-15, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Cyndi Lauper and her top 10 hit r not good enough?
Haha you know something didn't seem right when I was typing that. My bad.
Old 04-20-15, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When adjusted for inflation, The Goonies made $144M compared to Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome's $86M.

So where the fuck is The Goonies: Fury Road?
Old 04-20-15, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
When adjusted for inflation, The Goonies made $144M compared to Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome's $86M.

So where the fuck is The Goonies: Fury Road?
Are the actors who played the Goonies still around and able to come back for a sequel/reunion 30 years later? (I have no memory of who was in that movie?) Not that I'd want to see such a thing, but perhaps Goonies fans would. (I saw it once on cable and could never understand the appeal of it. But that's true of a lot of '80s pop cult phenomena for me. )
Old 04-20-15, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 796 Likes on 384 Posts

There's been talks of a Goonies sequel for many years. Everyone always says they're in, but nothing ever seems to happen.
Old 04-20-15, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 932 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Are the actors who played the Goonies still around and able to come back for a sequel/reunion 30 years later?
Old 04-20-15, 07:53 AM
Banned

Are the actors who played the Goonies still around and able to come back for a sequel/reunion 30 years later? (I have no memory of who was in that movie?) Not that I'd want to see such a thing, but perhaps Goonies fans would. (I saw it once on cable and could never understand the appeal of it. But that's true of a lot of '80s pop cult phenomena for me. )
The appeal is that it is a kid's version of Indiana Jones. The story may not be the greatest, but the characters are very likeable, especially Chunk and Sloth. It's entertaining just watching those two together.

I think another big part of the appeal is just nostalgia. Many of us watched it when we were kids. It is still enjoyable as an adult, but not as enjoyable. If you never watched it as a kid though, then you don't have the nostalgia factor, and that may be why you don't like it.
Old 04-20-15, 08:03 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I never cared for it when I was a kid. But I didn't jive with a lot of kid movie crap either. It's an alright movie to me.
Old 04-20-15, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 656 Likes on 506 Posts

I'm sure Avengers :Age of Ultron will win but I'd be lying if I didn't say I'd rather see Mad Max: Fury Road take the top spot. But this is all moot. There's a chance neither will dethrone Furious 7. We'll have to wait 'til Star Wars: The Force Awakens before we crown a new champion.
Old 04-20-15, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I never cared for it when I was a kid. But I didn't jive with a lot of kid movie crap either. It's an alright movie to me.
What stuff did you grow up watching, Robocop?

I think Pitch Perfect 2 will pull an upset and be #1 over both.
Old 04-20-15, 09:04 AM
Banned

RoboCop, Predator, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, ET, Terminator, other 80s actions movies, Godzilla, HK action movies, Mexploitation, Spanish language films. I don't think I watched a Disney film till Aladdin. I was 6 by that time. Back to the Future, SW, Goonies, and other stuff kids grew up on in my age group wasn't really my thing or my parents.
Old 04-20-15, 09:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
RoboCop, Predator, Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, ET, Terminator, other 80s actions movies, Godzilla, HK action movies, Mexploitation, Spanish language films. I don't think I watched a Disney film till Aladdin. I was 6 by that time. Back to the Future, SW, Goonies, and other stuff kids grew up on in my age group wasn't really my thing or my parents.
That explains your vocabulary of f-bombs. You learned how to speak by watching Clarence Boddicker.
Old 04-20-15, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I grew up mostly without movies, and I curse like a fucking sailor
Old 04-20-15, 09:17 AM
Banned

That explains your vocabulary of f-bombs. You learned how to speak by watching Clarence Boddicker.
Funny enough, I didn't start cursing as I do now till I was 15.
Old 04-20-15, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Opening weekend? I really want to see MM, but I'm thinking 40-50 mil will be its total domestic BO. I'm getting a Dredd/Scott Pilgrim vibe where the Internet is pumped, but I suspect the general population won't care.

I hope I'm wrong.

Maybe I am putting too much on 'buzz', but that trailer really elicited a good response. But then again, so did Snakes on a Plane.
Old 04-20-15, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
A lot of you are also expecting AoU to have massive drops when history shows us the first film had very minimal drops (compared to most blockbusters) as it went from weekend-to-weekend.

The first film ended up with a 3x multiplier. If the second performs similar and does an opening weekend of $220M, it'll end up with a total domestic box office gross of $660M.
I think less people going to 3D showings might hurt its OW, which would remove the typical bump of a MCU movie for its 2nd movie.
Old 04-20-15, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Maybe I am putting too much on 'buzz', but that trailer really elicited a good response. But then again, so did Snakes on a Plane.
The same problem here, pretty explosions in trailer that looks like a video game. And really no one knows what the movie is about or where it fits with previous movies; to me that is a big problem. 2 hour road movie the director said; great that may have played out better several years ago. I can't say that many of these type of "franchise" re-starter's have done very well.

Unfortunately this will under-perform as well. But then I don't think expectations are that high with tracking at a mid 30's opening.
Old 04-20-15, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Great picture. When was that taken? It doesn't look like 30 years later. They all look great--and happy to be with each other. Without looking up the cast, I don't recognize any of them, but that looks like Ethan Hawke or Josh Brolin on the right. (I don't recall either one being associated with that film. I remember Ethan Hawke was in EXPLORERS.)

The appeal is that it is a kid's version of Indiana Jones. The story may not be the greatest, but the characters are very likeable, especially Chunk and Sloth. It's entertaining just watching those two together. Not just the fact that they're smiling for the camera, but their body language shows great comfort with each other.

I think another big part of the appeal is just nostalgia. Many of us watched it when we were kids. It is still enjoyable as an adult, but not as enjoyable. If you never watched it as a kid though, then you don't have the nostalgia factor, and that may be why you don't like it.
Good points and I'm guessing it just didn't work its magic on me because I was at an age in between college and youth on one hand and middle age on the other. (Plus 1985 was an extremely turbulent year for me, possibly the worst I've ever experienced.) Ironically, Power Rangers premiered when I was 40 and Pokemon premiered when I was 45 or 46 and I loved both (and still do). I'm actually nostalgic for the early days of both shows (things I shared with my daughter and her friends and my nephews and nieces, none of whom are still watching). Maybe I felt freer by then to indulge my inner child.
Old 04-20-15, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 796 Likes on 384 Posts

Great picture. When was that taken? It doesn't look like 30 years later. They all look great--and happy to be with each other. Without looking up the cast, I don't recognize any of them, but that looks like Ethan Hawke or Josh Brolin on the right. (I don't recall either one being associated with that film. I remember Ethan Hawke was in EXPLORERS.)
It was taken in 2009, cast reunion for Empire magazine. And that is indeed Josh Brolin on the far right. He played the older brother, Brand. The rest from left to right are Jonathan Ke Quan (Data), Sean Astin (Mikey), Martha Plimpton (Stef), Corey Feldman (Mouth), Kerri Green (Andy), Director Richard Donner, and Jeff Cohen (Chunk).
Old 04-20-15, 10:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by d2cheer
The same problem here, pretty explosions in trailer that looks like a video game. And really no one knows what the movie is about or where it fits with previous movies; to me that is a big problem. 2 hour road movie the director said; great that may have played out better several years ago. I can't say that many of these type of "franchise" re-starter's have done very well.

Unfortunately this will under-perform as well. But then I don't think expectations are that high with tracking at a mid 30's opening.
What? I heavily doubt that affects Box Office. I'm game for whatever. Looks like it MAY be a reboot. Weirds me out how there aren't really a interviews w/ Miller and crew about this. I'm not some hardcore MM fan but I LOVE MM2. And the world is interesting and it looks like Miller blew his load on this. So I'm game for that. All I hope for is that it comes out to be a good movie.

And we do know what it's about mostly from the last trailer we got, the generic one.
Old 04-20-15, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
It was taken in 2009, cast reunion for Empire magazine. And that is indeed Josh Brolin on the far right. He played the older brother, Brand. The rest from left to right are Jonathan Ke Quan (Data), Sean Astin (Mikey), Martha Plimpton (Stef), Corey Feldman (Mouth), Kerri Green (Andy), Director Richard Donner, and Jeff Cohen (Chunk).
Richard Donner would have been 79 there and looks much younger. My initial thought was that he was one of the kids who just aged far more than his castmates. I should have recognized at least three of the others in the pic, though. Martha Plimpton looks better there than I remember her looking. Thanks, Obi-Wan.
Old 04-20-15, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I think less people going to 3D showings might hurt its OW, which would remove the typical bump of a MCU movie for its 2nd movie.
Yes and no. There are also 2D presentations occurring in "premium" theaters (such as Cinemark's XD, Regal's RPX, etc), so it's almost a moot point.

While Americans aren't going to 3D presentations as much as they were three years ago, worldwide audiences are the exact opposite. That may also explain Furious 7's box office performance as Canada and the U.S. were the only two markets not to get the 3D post-conversion.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.