Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The 87th Academy Awards --> 2015 Awards Show Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of the show?
0%
0%
0%
8.82%
17.65%
2.94%
8.82%
8.82%
17.65%
8.82%
0%
SuckFest 2015!
26.47%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

The 87th Academy Awards --> 2015 Awards Show Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-15, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Re: The 87th Academy Awards --> 2015 Awards Show Discussion

Originally Posted by Neil M.
The ending makes sense in one of the better interpretations that I read.
Spoiler:
Basically, the entire film is a dream that Riggan is having after his first suicide attempt.

I can't remember where I read it as I was reading a lot of opinions after I saw the film, but this one person did a great job breaking the film down to support his theory. I don't think it's the only interpretation but it was damn good.
This is one of those films with a senseless ambiguous ending because they couldnt figure out how to end it. Let the audience come to their own conclusions and make the film seem artistic with no real ending in mind.
Old 02-23-15, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, 36 million viewers. I thought ABC was paying the Academy to broadcast the show.
Old 02-23-15, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
It's the biggest event of the year for the motion picture industry. Actors, Producers and Directors would kill to be there. I'm sure plenty fly in from out of state just to be seen there and I'm almost positive the studios also have some say as well in having their talent promote these movies.
I know man, I was responding to Ranger saying that people looked like they didn't want to be there.
Old 02-23-15, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I was just thinking they'd get bored at such a long show.
Old 02-24-15, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Maybe I'm weird, but I'd prefer the Academy ditch the show and just release a list of winners like some government agency releasing a report. It seems that most of the guests don't even want to be there.
Ooo. I have an idea. All nominees are kidnapped morning of the show. A cargo van drives onto the stage and dumps the nominees. The winner gets proper medical attention. The losers are dragged off and waterboarded.

This is an awards ceremony I would watch.
Old 02-24-15, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

man the Oscars really hate comedy and comedians:

Michael Keaton for Birdman
Eddie Murphy for Dream Girls
Bill Murray for Lost In Translation
Will Smith for Ali and Pursuit of Happyness
Jim Carrey for Truman Show, Man On The Moon and Eternal Sunshine( didn't even get a nom)
Old 02-24-15, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm

Michael Keaton for Birdman
Eddie Murphy for Dream Girls
Bill Murray for Lost In Translation
Will Smith for Ali and Pursuit of Happyness
Jim Carrey for Truman Show, Man On The Moon and Eternal Sunshine( didn't even get a nom)
They still think drama is more respectable and apparently more difficult to do, which as everyone knows is simply not true. Comedy is fucking hard to pull off, especially when you put it in a dark film like Birdman.
Old 02-25-15, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
Rodney Dangerfield had a quote as to why he would never host the Oscars:

"It's sort of ironic that the Academy Awards never recognize any comedies, yet they want a comedian to host every year."
Old 02-25-15, 10:04 AM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Oscar hates superheroes way more than he hates comedies/comedians
Old 02-25-15, 01:51 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Oscars apparently hate Dick Poop too.
Old 02-25-15, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by HN
Oscar hates superheroes way more than he hates comedies/comedians
Depending on how one interprets the end of BIRDMAN, it could very well be a superhero film.
Old 02-25-15, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree that a majority of the celebs don't want to be there, but they realize that it's a business move and helps the brand they've built. Being at the Oscars, in the seats that the camera hits, means that your are somebody in the industry.

They do need to figure out a way to speed up the show, it just drags for the middle two hours. Give away the shorts awards right before the show, then have the winners come on stage for a brief intro. They can also cut out the nominations intro/video for a bunch of awards, just rattle off the winners one after another. Do you really need to be reminded who is nominated for sound editing or costume design? Just say the winners name, give them 30 seconds and announce another name. They could knock out 10 awards in 20 minutes (with commercials). Give the famous people time to talk, it's what the public really wants to see.
Old 02-25-15, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

They should make all the nominated actors give speeches as to why they want to win, then vote LIVE for the winner right there in the auditorium. THAT would make the Oscars more exciting. It would also get all the Academy members to show up. But I guess the theater would only be able to hold a small portion of the membership.

I think the theater holds about 3,000 and there are 6,000 members...but they could rotate the voting every year.
Old 02-25-15, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
I agree that a majority of the celebs don't want to be there, but they realize that it's a business move and helps the brand they've built. Being at the Oscars, in the seats that the camera hits, means that your are somebody in the industry.

They do need to figure out a way to speed up the show, it just drags for the middle two hours. Give away the shorts awards right before the show, then have the winners come on stage for a brief intro. They can also cut out the nominations intro/video for a bunch of awards, just rattle off the winners one after another. Do you really need to be reminded who is nominated for sound editing or costume design? Just say the winners name, give them 30 seconds and announce another name. They could knock out 10 awards in 20 minutes (with commercials). Give the famous people time to talk, it's what the public really wants to see.
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
They should make all the nominated actors give speeches as to why they want to win, then vote LIVE for the winner right there in the auditorium. THAT would make the Oscars more exciting. It would also get all the Academy members to show up. But I guess the theater would only be able to hold a small portion of the membership.

I think the theater holds about 3,000 and there are 6,000 members...but they could rotate the voting every year.
If DVD Talk ran the Oscars...

(I like these ideas, I like 'em!)