Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sundance 2015 or the upcoming "little movies that could"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-15, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Every year Sundance seems to turn out at least one great flick, last year it brought us Whiplash, Dinosaur 13, Wish I Was Here, Obvious Child, Skeleton Twins, Cold in July, Fed Up, Rich Hill, etc; and 2013 had well known though slightly less great titles such as Stoker, Aint them Body Saints, Sound City, Fruitvale Station, Kill Your Darlings, In A World, Twenty Feet from Stardom, Upstream Color, The Spectacular Now, Before Midnight and Don Jon.

So figured I'd create this thread, since odds are we'll be talking about a few of the movies later this year.

Sales so far:

Lionsgate buys Eli Roth-Keanu Reeves Thriller 'Knock Knock' for $2.5m

Knock, Knock is a 2015 American horror thriller film directed by Eli Roth, who also co-wrote the script with Guillermo Amoedo and Nicolás López. The film stars Keanu Reeves. Reeves plays a happily married family man who's left alone for the weekend. Two beautiful girls show up at his house and turn his life upside down.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/P_VttzIh8TI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl was originally thought to break the Fest's record for acquisition fees at $12m (prior records sit at around $10m for titles such as Little Miss Sunshine), but the filmmakers seem to have settled for around $5 - $7m in return for profit points, which is not a terrible idea at all. The picture was bought by Indian Paintbrush and Fox Searchlight who released The Grand Budapest Hotel last year. Directed by Alfonso Gomez-Rejon (The Town That Dreaded Sundown (2014), American Horror Story, Glee) and written by Jesse Andrews, based on Andrews' 2013 debut novel of the same name.

The one thing I like is we have more authors writing their own Screenplays now (Gone Girl did the same last year).

The Overnight sells for $4m after Late Night Bidding Battle
Bought by a distributer called The Orchard (What We Do in the Shadows, Dior and I), the sexy Patrick Brice-directed film about two couples whose playdate leads to sexual hijinks. This is a movie produced by Adam Scott, Jason Schwartzman and the Duplass Brothers.

Sony Pictures Classics Lands 'Diary of a Teenage Girl' for $2m.
The Diary Of A Teenage Girl, the Marielle Heller-directed drama that premiered Saturday at the Eccles Theater. Deal was $2 million for North America, plus numerous other territories around the world. Pic is about a 15-year-old aspiring comic book artist who comes of age in 1970s San Francisco and is insatiably curious about the world around her.

Open Road and Sony win 'Dope' Movie is guaranteeds $7m minimum and $15m in P&A. Movie apparently has a great 90s hip hop soundtrack.

Pic is the humorous coming-of-age story of a high school trio in Los Angeles. Three geeks whose obsession with punk rock and 1990s hip-hop culture make them easy pickings for the jocks and gangbangers in their tough neighborhood. A chance invite to an underground party leaves Malcolm (Shameik Moore) with a stash of Ecstasy that will either destroy the Ivy League college aspirations of the friends, or lead them to be re-identified, finally, as being dope. That includes winning the attention of Nakia (Zoe Kravitz) when their punk rock video blows up on YouTube.

Fumuyiwa, who wrote the script, previously directed The Wood. Dope also stars Tony Revolori (The Grand Budapest Hotel), Kiersey Clemons, Black Anderson, and A$AP Rocky. The film made its premiere in the U.S. Dramatic Competition category yesterday at the Library.

IFC Pays $3m for Jack Black Comedy: 'The D Train'
In The D Train, Black is putting together a high school reunion in hopes of erasing the loser tag that dogged him back then, and he tracks down a relationship with the most popular guy from the class, who’s a semi-celebrity. Just as The Bronze is distinguished by a gymnastic sex scene between Melissa Rauch and Sebastian Stan, this one had everybody buzzing about a comparable scene — between the two male leads. White, Black, Priyanka Mattoo, Ben Latham-Jones, Dave Bernad and Barnaby Thompson produced and Paul and Mogel wrote the script.

And Performance wise, apparently Jason Segel crushed it as David Foster Wallace in End of the Tour.

Turns out just putting on a bandanna does not make you look like DF Wallace, but if the performance is good, good deal.

Turbo Kid - Midnight Feature - I can't really describe it so here's this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/nh23-rQUi5U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-27-15, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Sundance 2015 or the upcoming "little movies that could"

Knock, Knock sounds like it could potentially be interesting. Fox Searchlight seems to choose good films to release generally so Me and Earl and the Dying Girl could be good too even though the synopsis sounds kind of iffy. The others don't really interest me. Maybe The D Train but Jack Black doesn't do much for me (at least in films) anymore.
Old 01-27-15, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Sundance 2015 or the upcoming "little movies that could"

Turbo Kid LOOKS awesome. Trailer makes me want to watch it.