Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Downsizing (2017, D: Alexander Payne) S: Damon, Wiig, Waltz, Chau

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Downsizing (2017, D: Alexander Payne) S: Damon, Wiig, Waltz, Chau

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-17, 01:09 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
re: Downsizing (2017, D: Alexander Payne) S: Damon, Wiig, Waltz, Chau

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JoBLLqlI3tQ" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 11-03-17, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Well, I see they're still running with that Absolut bottle gag that was absent from the TIFF screenings, and they're still, uhh, downsizing the significance of Hong Chau's role in the film.
Old 11-06-17, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

The wife is extremely interested in this one. I think it might be fun.
Old 12-17-17, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

So I watched this last night.

Yes, I know it doesn't open until the 22nd. It's screener season for Academy members and a friend (who is a member) let me watch her screener.

I'll keep my thoughts fairly generic since it hasn't officially opened yet, but I was disappointed. 1st of all, it was way too long. 2 hours and 13 minutes. It started out kind of neat as a cute little satire about people frustrated with their lives (Damon and Wiig) and using this Downsizing opportunity in order to help improve the quality of their lives. I think that premise alone could have worked as a 90 to 95 minute movie.

then it takes a 180 degree turn and the movie turns into:

Spoiler:
a really dark, doom and gloom end of the world, end of days movie. They show some miserable, sick and unhappy people through the last half of the movie. Damon meets and falls in love with a Vietnamese illegal immigrant who is struggling to survive after the downsizing turn. Wiig, who plays his wife, chickens out on the Downsizing and leaves him. Damon's character is very unhappy and miserable after that until he meets the Vietnamese woman.

I was hoping for something more light and fun. It definitely wasn't that especially after the big change in the tone.

I'll give them a C+ for at least trying. Some people may like this, but it's definitely not for everyone.
Old 12-17-17, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

Yeah, it seems like after some really strong initial impressions, the buzz on this has cooled considerably. As a huge Payne fan, that's disappointing, but I will still see it.
Old 12-17-17, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyM
Yeah, it seems like after some really strong initial impressions, the buzz on this has cooled considerably. As a huge Payne fan, that's disappointing, but I will still see it.
Yep, if Alexander Payne's name is on something, I'm there no matter what.
Old 12-17-17, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

As it's an Alexander Payne directed movie, I will definitely be checking this out.
Old 12-17-17, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

This doesn't look good at all, and based on the really crappy reviews - I'm pretty certain that my initial impressions are accurate.

I'll catch this on a stream or something for shits and giggles... just won't be paying any money to watch it.
Old 12-17-17, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Home video watch for me. Maybe.
Old 12-23-17, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love Alexander Payne. I don’t think he’s ever made a movie I disliked. And I enjoyed this one too. It’s certainly not on the level of Sideways or About Schmidt, but not much is. I still think lesser Payne is better than most of the stuff that makes its way to my theater (which hardly ever gets the Oscar contenders and is always full of sequels and remakes).

I actually didn’t think it felt overlong, I was never bored with it. I thought Waltz stole the movie in his scenes - he looked like he was having a great time. Since all of Payne’s movies have a undercurrent of sadness to them, I didn’t expect it to be as light and broad as the trailers suggested.

Like I said, it’s not an upper-echelon Payne flick, but you could do worse. Just understand it’s not a broad, breezy comedy about people getting shrunk and the hijinks that ensue. I think the trailers did the movie a disservice marketing it that way.
Old 12-24-17, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Three bombs in a row for Matt Damon in 2017, not to mention a shit ton of bad press for his comments about the sexual harrasment scandals in Hollywood.
Old 12-24-17, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Three bombs in a row for Matt Damon in 2017, not to mention a shit ton of bad press for his comments about the sexual harrasment scandals in Hollywood.
And a dead father.
Old 12-26-17, 07:05 PM

I agree with DJariya. I didn't like the direction this went.

I am a fan of Payne and I can say this is easily his worst film.
Old 12-27-17, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Downsizing (2017, D: Alexander Payne) S: Damon, Wiig, Waltz, Chau

Its Alexanders Payne's first bad film IMO. I thought it was awful. The concept of downsizing was basically abandoned after 25 minutes. Nothing in this movie worked for me. It was basically a bunch of half baked ideas sloppily pieced together. 2/5.

I'll take Honey I Shrunk the Kids over this any day of the week.

Obviously film success means nothing compared to losing your father. But it's been a rough 18 months for Damon none the less.
Old 12-27-17, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw this last week. Was really looking forward to it.

I was disappointed in it. I found it hard to sympathize with the Damon character. He seemed to be drifting through life and letting it happen to him and had little or no interest in guiding his destiny. In the one instance where he tried to embrace a direction/make a decision, he almost immediately backed away from that decision. His entire life seemed to be lived as a service to others. Please don't misunderstand what I am saying, helping others is a noble thing. Being a floor mat for others to walk all over isn't.

He also seemed to be an anti-Forrest Gump character. His desire to meet and fawn over famous people was also a character flaw which I disliked.

Overall, I would probably give this a 3 out of 5 stars. It was slightly interesting but I don't think that I would be interested in seeing any other stories from the world.

Last edited by MScottM; 12-27-17 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-27-17, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, based on your description MScottM, now it sounds like a Payne movie. Movies about doormats are his thing!

I am a big fan of Payne, so it's too bad this is such a flop. The budget was $68 million and it brought in about $5 million over Christmas weekend. That's...not good.
Old 12-27-17, 11:51 AM

It's too bad Wiig was in this instead of Witherspoon staying. Marketing could've really pushed her and Laura Dern's (very tiny) involvement to capitalize on Big Little Lies success.

Here's hoping that Payne bounces back accordingly.
Old 12-27-17, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by dex14
It's too bad Wiig was in this instead of Witherspoon staying.
Paul Giamatti originally being the lead was interesting to me too. I think he would've been a better "down-on-his-luck every man" than Matt Damon. Would've been much more difficult to market with him though.
Old 12-27-17, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by TheHive08
Paul Giamatti originally being the lead was interesting to me too. I think he would've been a better "down-on-his-luck every man" than Matt Damon. Would've been much more difficult to market with him though.
Not that it mattered in the end. I haven't seen it, but seems like an awfully expensive art house film that, generally, wasn't that well received.
Old 03-20-18, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Finally watched it. 1st half was good, 2nd half was horrible. The whole concept was thrown out the window. it died for me with the maid stuff. her voice was so annoying i just couldn't. My wife fell asleep, I read the synopsis on wiki and ffwd the last 45 mins
Old 03-20-18, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

A friend of mine with a degree in physics keeps going on about how the premise of this would be impossible, as the people who are shrunk wouldn't survive because they wouldn't be able to eat regular food, and they'd starve. I had to remind him THIS IS A MOVIE ABOUT PEOPLE BEING SHRUNK, an impossible premise from the get-go.
Old 03-20-18, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,206 Likes on 4,233 Posts

As a physician I'm intrigued : why couldn't a shrunken person eat small amounts of regular food like ground beef, grains soups or at least protein shakes? Is his premise that they wouldn't be able to take in enough calories to function? I would counter that small mammals like mice and squirrels get by on much lower calorie requirements; can't we assume time people would haberdashery tiny caloric and nutritional requirements as well?
Old 03-21-18, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
A friend of mine with a degree in physics keeps going on about how the premise of this would be impossible, as the people who are shrunk wouldn't survive because they wouldn't be able to eat regular food, and they'd starve. I had to remind him THIS IS A MOVIE ABOUT PEOPLE BEING SHRUNK, an impossible premise from the get-go.
I haven't seen the movie, so I don't know if it was addressed, but wouldn't they also shrink food? If a person could be shrunk, just shrink a cow, chickens and crops.
Old 03-21-18, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

^ That was my first, logical assumption, as well. Unfortunately, my friend, while extremely intelligent, doesn't always seem to allow simple pieces of logic to come to the surface. He's basically Sheldon Cooper, but hairier.
Old 03-21-18, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The back cover art shows a character carrying a Saltine cracker that's nearly as big as she is, so I assume they eat regular food in much smaller quantities.

I bought the movie as I am a huge Payne fan, but I'm kind of scared to watch. I guess he was due for a total dud eventually.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.