Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (2017, D: Ritchie A: Hunnam, Law)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (2017, D: Ritchie A: Hunnam, Law)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-17, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (2017, D: Ritchie A: Hunnam, Law)

Originally Posted by dex14

Well played, sir.
Old 05-09-17, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Old 05-09-17, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If Valerian and the blah blah blah wasn't coming out later this summer, I would bet this would be the box office bomb of the season.
Old 05-09-17, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

iO9 gave it a favorable review
Old 05-09-17, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It doubled! Now it's at 18%.
Old 05-09-17, 08:28 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
If Valerian and the blah blah blah wasn't coming out later this summer, I would bet this would be the box office bomb of the season.
I think that's going to go to Snatched.
Old 05-11-17, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My friend gave it a 3-star.

Through thick and thin, I seem to want to stand by Guy Ritchie. Okay, so maybe Swept Away took things a bit too far, but I’ve been happy to support Ritchie from his London gangster film days into his more commercial fair. I dig the man’s style and have found his hyper-kinetic filmmaking approach to Sherlock Holmes and other recent efforts as a refreshingly exciting way to tackle familiar properties. So what to make of King Arthur: Legend of the Sword? Well, it is a shame we could not have simply started with Arthur already being King, as every attempt to do something unique is seemingly undone by trite origin story plot elements. That said, the attitude of this film, the supporting characters and overall production design made for something more interesting than any of the mediocre advertising has been selling.
http://whysoblu.com/king-arthur-sword-movie-review/
Old 05-11-17, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just got back from seeing this and it was a lot of fun. It had plenty of familiars from Ritchies previous gangster flicks and some folks from Game of Thrones along with an unexpected cameo from
Spoiler:
David Beckham.

It was obviously style over substance, but still had tons of depth. I also applaud the filmmakers for using one of my favorite characters' of all time's likeness
Spoiler:
Frank Frazetta's Death Dealer
-- it was fantastic to see on the big screen.

The score was also great and I will probably scoop up the vinyl of that. I do think the marketing department screwed up the marketing. I would not mind seeing 5 more movies based around this incarnation of the legend, but that seems unlikely now. Maybe one more then.

Anyways, it's definitely worth seeing on the big screen.
Old 05-13-17, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Caught this today. While I understand why more traditional critics hate this, I was thoroughly entertained. It maybe deserves a 51% RT rating, but not 27% It's basically a the Arthur legend directed in the style of Guy Ritchie with lots of (obviously) Frank Frazetta inspired production design. I see it becoming a cult hit, but not a major hit. Shame, as I really liked Charlie Hunnam in this one.

Q:
Spoiler:
Anyone else think the hawk that kept checking on things was actually Merlin? I know we are to presume it was working for the mage Guinivere, but it's a lot cooler the other way.

Since this probably won't be the franchise starter they hoped, I guess we'll never know.
Old 05-14-17, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Good afternoon matinee. I enjoyed the cast and the Ritchie style banter he is known for. Would watch a sequel if it happens.
Old 05-14-17, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

King Arthur flops like a drunk soccer player

MSN is calling King Arthur the first flop of the summer season. With only 14.7 million estimated, GotG 2 at 63 million will hold off King Arthur and Snatched at 17.5 million for the number 1 spot.
Old 05-16-17, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Actuals bumped Snatched up to $19 million. And it's budget was $42 million.

Holy crap...what a bomb. Not sure what they were thinking giving Guy Ritchie $175 million for a King Arthur movie. I just think the subject matter wasn't interesting to most people. From what I've heard, it's a fun movie and looks great but that's about it. Even Stuckmann gave it a B.
Old 05-16-17, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ They trusted him with the budget, because of the Sherlock Holmes films. Both of those made a shitload. UNCLE was lukewarm, but also didn't cost that much.
Old 05-16-17, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

The Holmes movies also had RDJ who can headline a movie.
Old 05-16-17, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I hope this mishap doesn't get him booted from Aladdin. If there's any animated movie that seems like his style would suit a live action version that's the one.
Old 05-17-17, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I like Charlie Hunnam... but he's not bringing asses to the seats for a big budget flick.
Old 05-17-17, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

I know it's a little different, but did nobody involved with this movie look at that Kurt Sutter show that got canceled within two seconds and think "Maybe now is not the right time for this"?
Old 05-17-17, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I know it's a little different, but did nobody involved with this movie look at that Kurt Sutter show that got canceled within two seconds and think "Maybe now is not the right time for this"?
Bastard Executioner? That actually had a pretty strong debut, it wasn't until people realized it sucked that the ratings drove off a cliff. So if anything was derived from it, it was that there's an audience for a non-shitty version of it.
Old 07-04-17, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I saw this yesterday. I'd probably give this maybe a B- and between 3 and 3 1/2 stars.

It wasn't as God awful as some made it out to be. But, I can see how there really isn't much interest in the King Arthur story for most. I honestly wan't crazy about the idea either. I thought the Antoine Fuqua and Clive Owen version from 10 years ago was pretty dull. I think it did add a different spin on it. It had some more fantasy/supernatural elements to it. There was some pretty cool special effects. Opening sequence with the giant elephants was pretty crazy.

I thought Jude Law was a pretty good villain. He was arrogant and someone you really wanted to punch in the face. So he did his job. I do agree that Eric Bana (a pretty good actor) was wasted for such a small part. He gets a lot of shit, especially in this forum, but I've never had a problem with Charlie Hunnam as an actor. I always liked his work on the 7 years I watched Sons of Anarchy. Maybe he doesn't have enough star power to carry a $100M+ movie and that's why this bombed. I was surprised that they didn't cast a well known female lead to be a love interest for Arthur. They pretty much stayed away from any kind of romance angle.

I don't think I would want to own or re-watch this anytime soon, but it was worth seeing at least once. For those who are really on the fence about this and you're struggling to find something that draws you to it, maybe wait until you can see it on HBO later in the year.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-04-17 at 01:54 PM.
Old 08-14-17, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw this yesterday, and while it was kind of a mess, it was a fun mess most of the time. The soundtrack was awesome (and I streamed it again since then), the action can be jarring at times but overall solid, and the fantasy aspects were a little over the top. It's kinda funny how different this movie and the King Author w/ Clive Owen and Keira Knightley are from each other. It's worth checking out once, but I couldn't see myself buying and watching again. One other thing I noticed, it's very Guy Ritchie for the first 30 mins or so, but after that it seems like it loses his personal touch. It still has his style and influences here and there, but not as much as his other movies.