Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
10.53%
27.37%
31.58%
12.63%
7.37%
5.26%
2.11%
1.05%
2.11%
0%
0%
Notsostellar
0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-15, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
Re: Interstellar (Nolan, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by d2cheer
You can make a spaceship but you can't make fertilizer for the soil? DUMB as fuck...
Huh? Soil is finite and fertilizer doesn't fix everything. But it does ignore the fact we're doing some bad ass things indoors these days.

People pick at the weirdest shit with this movie. Mallet had a solid critique of what didn't work for him, but some of these other ones people posted throughout are just dumb.

Last edited by RichC2; 02-03-15 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-03-15, 12:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm confused about what in the film led you to think that the fifth dimensional humans from the future caused the blight.
Old 02-03-15, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I'm confused about what in the film led you to think that the fifth dimensional humans from the future caused the blight.
Nothing, just being dumb with speculation. It isn't covered in any manner outside of mentioning the way time and space would be viewed by a fifth dimensional future us super being thing. I like being able to fill in the blanks along the way, which is why it pisses me off when Nolan tries to explain every little detail in his movies. Still has no concept of show, don't tell.
Old 02-03-15, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Supermallet
Also I felt this film was nothing like 2001. In Kubrick's film, humanity is a tiny part of a much larger universe that we're only beginning to comprehend. In Nolan's universe, humanity is so all powerful that we can save ourselves from ourselves and apparently resolve time paradoxes without any problem because love.
It obviously wants to be 2001. But Kubrick, whatever else he was, was mysterious. Nolan is too wordy and literal.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 02-03-15 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-12-15, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

INTERSTELLAR is still playing at one theater in Manhattan. I was passing the theater and, on a whim, I checked to see what was playing and what the show times were. INTERSTELLAR was due to start in 15 minutes and, since I hadn't seen it and was pretty sure I'd never make the effort to see it once it comes on cable/Netflix, etc., I went and bought a sandwich and juice and got on line to buy a ticket. Surprisingly, it was a pretty solid weeknight crowd for a film that's been in release for about three months.

In any event, I had some questions about the film's big finale:
Spoiler:
What data did Cooper transmit to Murph via Morse Code? Given that he’s a pilot and not a trained physicist (or whatever scientist you have to be to understand this stuff), how was he able to acquire and understand that data? Can complex data like that be transmitted via Morse Code? And how was that data able to save everything and everybody? Given the importance of this data to the narrative, why wasn't it explained to us?

Why did he make the effort to signal Murph to try to get him to “stay”? Wasn’t it too late for that? He’d already left decades earlier! And then, why does he suddenly switch tactics and decide to transmit the data? If he had the data wouldn’t that have been his immediate priority anyway?

Also: Cooper is in a black hole without a spaceship. So, how did he get from there to where they found him near Saturn, which is, presumably, gazillions of miles away? And if you tell me he went through the wormhole, how did that happen? He was in the black hole, nowhere near the wormhole.

Non-spoiler questions:

In the American town where Coop and his family live, everyone drives gas-guzzling SUV’s and tractors. Given the presumed collapse of any international trade infrastructure, where do they get the gasoline to power them? I never once saw a gas station or tanker truck, yet Cooper has enough gas to speed his vehicle through a cornfield for several miles—on a flat tire, no less!

How do you send video files through trillions of miles of space, including a wormhole?

That is all.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 02-12-15 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-12-15, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
INTERSTELLAR is still playing at one theater in Manhattan. I was passing the theater and, on a whim, I checked to see what was playing and what the show times were. INTERSTELLAR was due to start in 15 minutes and, since I hadn't seen it and was pretty sure I'd never make the effort to see it once it comes on cable/Netflix, etc., I went and bought a sandwich and juice and got on line to buy a ticket. Surprisingly, it was a pretty solid weeknight crowd for a film that's been in release for about three months.

Spoiler:
What data did Cooper transmit to Murph via Morse Code? Given that he’s a pilot and not a trained physicist (or whatever scientist you have to be to understand this stuff), how was he able to acquire and understand that data? Can complex data like that be transmitted via Morse Code? And how was that data able to save everything and everybody? Given the importance of this data to the narrative, why wasn't it explained to us?

Why did he make the effort to signal Murph to try to get him to “stay”? Wasn’t it too late for that? He’d already left decades earlier! And then, why does he suddenly switch tactics and decide to transmit the data? If he had the data wouldn’t that have been his immediate priority anyway?

Also: Cooper is in a black hole without a spaceship. So, how did he get from there to where they found him near Saturn, which is, presumably, gazillions of miles away? And if you tell me he went through the wormhole, how did that happen? He was in the black hole, nowhere near the wormhole.

Non-spoiler questions:

In the American town where Coop and his family live, everyone drives gas-guzzling SUV’s and tractors. Given the presumed collapse of any international trade infrastructure, where do they get the gasoline to power them? I never once saw a gas station or tanker truck, yet Cooper has enough gas to speed his vehicle through a cornfield for several miles—on a flat tire, no less!

How do you send video files through trillions of miles of space, including a wormhole?

That is all.
It's been a few months since I've seen this but here's my shot in the dark.

Spoiler:
Anything can be transmitted in morose code or hell, binary (but who knows binary off hand). But I'm pretty sure he was transmitting the data necessary for launching the space station/building into the worm hole that his robot friend analyzed from the tesseract/black hole. They actually do explain that part a couple times.

Initially he feels like he wasted his time, he missed his kids growing up and would rather alter time and prevent him from missing their lives. But then everything clicked for him and he saved a small part of humanity instead.

They never explain his ejection from the tesseract, instead expecting you to just believe that that's how it happens. That the fifth dimensional beings saved his ass.

From what I could tell there really was no gas, everything ran of some sort of rechargeable power/fuel cell technology apparently. But then the entire Earth situation was a bit of a convoluted mess.
Old 02-12-15, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Would the Dust Bowl conditions around the world cause that much of a problem with Oil underground?
Old 02-12-15, 02:05 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No. I couldn't think that it would.

Wny the question?
Old 02-12-15, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Spoiler:

Non-spoiler questions:

That is all.
Along with what RichC2 said,

Spoiler:
Cooper is an engineer along with being a pilot. The data that was mined from the black hole allowed them to harness the power of gravity which helped get the humans off the planet.

The time in the black hole is a flat circle. He can move from time A to time B like we can move from point A to point B. So he could go back in time to tell himself to stay. If his young-self heeded the warning and stayed it would have created a time travel paradox, but he still went so no paradox created.

As for all your other questions, don't think too deeply about it. It's still a movie.
Old 02-12-15, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Would the Dust Bowl conditions around the world cause that much of a problem with Oil underground?
If there's nobody to pump up the oil, no refineries to process it, no tanker ships or tanker trucks to carry it to market, no distributors, no gas stations, then...yes.

RichC2 made a speculative attempt to answer my question, but I saw nothing in the film that would support such an explanation.

@Solid Snake: see my original question three posts above yours.
Old 02-12-15, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If there's nobody to pump up the oil, no refineries to process it, no tanker ships or tanker trucks to carry it to market, no distributors, no gas stations, then...yes.

RichC2 made a speculative attempt to answer my question, but I saw nothing in the film that would support such an explanation.

@Solid Snake: see my original question three posts above yours.
The theft of the power cell from the drone to power the tractors is all I could think of. Presumably if that's what powers the massive combines, then surely smaller ones are used in regular vehicles... Or was that something else? I saw a lot of movies around that time so I may be confusing it with something else.
Old 02-12-15, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
The theft of the power cell from the drone to power the tractors is all I could think of. Presumably if that's what powers the massive combines, then surely smaller ones are used in regular vehicles... Or was that something else? I saw a lot of movies around that time so I may be confusing it with something else.
That's a possibility. I remember it now, but didn't note its significance at the time. I tend to need things like that spelled out for me, something Nolan seems reluctant to do. Which makes movies like this and INCEPTION a bit of a challenge for me.
Old 02-12-15, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's a possibility. I remember it now, but didn't note its significance at the time. I tend to need things like that spelled out for me, something Nolan seems reluctant to do. Which makes movies like this and INCEPTION a bit of a challenge for me.
Yeah that's a common issue with Nolan. He focuses on certain aspects to over explain and then leaves other details vague. Sometimes they're plotholes, sometimes they're just unexplained details.
Old 02-13-15, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nolan devoted an entire sequence to tracking and acquiring the drone so that Cooper could get its power source to drive a harvester. Seemed pretty straight forward to me.

As for the question regarding the Morse code -- It was stated in the dialogue early in the movie that someone would pretty much actually have to enter a black hole to finally figure out the equation concerning gravity that Michael Caine and Murph were working on. As Cooper and TARS entered the black hole, Cooper verbally made sure that TARS was recording every possible bit of data that he could. Once inside the tesseract, and Cooper figured out that he could communicate, he had TARS feed him the pertinent bit of data that Murph would need to complete the equations. It really didn't need to be that complex at all as the message was about how gravity can transcend time (which, of course, would have been obvious to her once she figured out the "ghost" was her father). With that understanding, she solved the equation and got the ship off the earth.
Old 02-13-15, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Huh? Soil is finite and fertilizer doesn't fix everything. But it does ignore the fact we're doing some bad ass things indoors these days.

People pick at the weirdest shit with this movie. Mallet had a solid critique of what didn't work for him, but some of these other ones people posted throughout are just dumb.
Man you must have really loved this movie...
Old 02-13-15, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oddly enough no not really, I did enjoy it, but it's pretty heavily flawed.
Old 02-13-15, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

We definitely can agree it was flawed.
Old 03-16-15, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally saw it. It was good.

Most of the space science was, um, okay... I guess... No one's going through a black hole... ever...

You don't need to "go to the other side" of a black hole to reconciliate gravity and quantum mechanics... There is no information in a black hole that affects our universe...

I thought Kip Thorne really dropped the ball, I've always thought he's a hack anyhow. Dude annoys me.

The Earth dying stuff was beyond stupid. Of course no one here besides me grows food so I guess I'm the only to notice the corn being "harvested" when it was green

Plot-wise getting Cooper off Earth was fine. NASA was convinced there was an intelligence behind the wormhole, so it really wasn't a stretch at all for them to believe they were contacting Cooper and telling NASA that he was "The One".

The "hiding" NASA shit was so stupid though. That's typically Hollywood though with that sort of crap
Old 03-26-15, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

I just watched it. Seconds into the movie, I knew exactly how it was going to end. When a certain character was introduced late in the picture, the twist couldn’t have been more obvious. Despite all this, I was enthralled from beginning to end. I definitely look forward to owning the BD.
Old 03-31-15, 12:59 PM
Banned

<iframe width="660" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lZMzf-SDWP8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-31-15, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Yeah, it did bug me that he didn't give two shits about his son. And I did think of Event Horizon during that particular scene.
Old 03-31-15, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 344 Posts

The line about "Hans Zimmer falling asleep on his organ" made me laugh out loud. Also the bit about Damon's character being the best scientist of all time but not knowing how work an airlock. I also wonder if they had to have Ann Hathaway on a IV drip between scenes from all the crying she does in the film.
Old 03-31-15, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Also the bit about Damon's character being the best scientist of all time but not knowing how work an airlock.
In defense of that, he did go kind of nuts due to his solitude, so I doubt he was thinking clearly.
Old 03-31-15, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In defense of that, the entire part of the film revolving around Affleck and Damon sort of made me cringe. So much didn't work.

Wasn't as bad in replay though.
Old 03-31-15, 01:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
In defense of that, he did go kind of nuts due to his solitude, so I doubt he was thinking clearly.
Yeah. The dude went nuts by that point. Coop was trying to talk sense into him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.