Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wonder Woman (2017, D: Patty Jenkins) S: Gadot, Pine

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Wonder Woman (2017, D: Patty Jenkins) S: Gadot, Pine

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-17, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts
Re: Wonder Woman (2017, D: Patty Jenkins) S: Gadot, Pine

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The caveat, as Jenkins explains, is that Cameron is not a woman.
I'm not a big fan of that argument. If Cameron said the same thing if Patty Jenkins criticized one of his male characters, "Well she's not a man...." He would get crucified.

Steven Spielberg directed The Color Purple, and it is a great movie. Should he have not directed it because he is white and wouldn't understand the drama of blacks and slavery? I wish Jenkins would have made her point without going down the 'he is not a woman' road.
Old 08-25-17, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

'Eh, guys are pretty one-dimensional. It's hard to screw up a male character no matter what sex is writing for him. The opposite cannot be said for men writing for female characters.

Also, as pointed out previously, Aliens and Terminator's biggest draw are not the female characters. It's the, ahem, aliens and violent robots. It doesn't matter how well written Cameron made Ripley and Conners, they are not the draw of those films. They definitely make their respective films stronger, but it seems like revisionist history to say the ladies are the centerpiece.
Old 08-25-17, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

Jim Cameron is just trying get publicity for T2 being in theaters this weekend.
Old 08-25-17, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Cameron should have made the argument more about how he was the one of the first directors to write strong female leads into action/scifi genre movies. The one thing that annoyed me about the 'Girl Power' BS during the Wonder Woman hype last summer was they were essentially saying this was the first, and Cameron has a right to lay that claim.
Hell you can go even farther back. Movies like Halloween portrayed the final girl as resourceful, aware and fighting back. Yes they screamed and ran a lot(and didn't have sex), but they always tended to be the one who killed the stronger killer and survived while the men were killed first.

If Wonder Woman is someones first exposure to a "kick ass woman" than that's how it is for that person. It's not their fault they haven't seen a previous example. And even if they did, it may not have resonated with them.
I don't think its as much as the fact that people seem to focus on WW as how people seem to be wanting to make it out like there was never a strong female character until WW came out, even though they have been in cinemas for almost 40 years.

I think Aliens marketed Sigourney. Terminator 2 was definitely all about Arnold, although he was also the biggest action star in the universe at the time.
Aliens was always about Sigourney. Cameron even said he wouldn't do it without her and by Alien 3 Fox wouldn't do it without her even though I think it was too the detriment of the series.
Old 08-25-17, 11:55 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The caveat, as Jenkins explains, is that Cameron is not a woman. That's the rub -- and folks that think like that (Cameron) will always be on the outside looking in and saying things like "I don't get it." Duh, of course you don't, you're not a woman. I don't want to get political in this thread, but this goes for several of the groups rightfully protesting out there like BLM, etc.

I would also say that the last time we had a female-centric film was in QT's Kill Bill. Granted, that was under the veil of a grind house/exploitation flick, so it didn't necessarily carry the weight of the most popular female super heroine of all time.

If you want to know more -- there's an excellent book called The Secret History of Wonder Woman.

Gotta love Why so blu? He says he doesn't want to go political, then he goes totally political. He even brings Black Lives Matter into it. Wow.

No female centric film since Kill Bill? How about Grindhouse? How about Lucy and Salt and Ghost in the Shell?
Old 08-25-17, 11:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
'Eh, guys are pretty one-dimensional. It's hard to screw up a male character no matter what sex is writing for him. The opposite cannot be said for men writing for female characters.

Also, as pointed out previously, Aliens and Terminator's biggest draw are not the female characters. It's the, ahem, aliens and violent robots. It doesn't matter how well written Cameron made Ripley and Conners, they are not the draw of those films. They definitely make their respective films stronger, but it seems like revisionist history to say the ladies are the centerpiece.
We wouldn't watch them over and over again if it was just Aliens and Killer Robots. All the stupid Alien vs. whatever movies pretty much prove it.
Old 08-25-17, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Aliens was always about Sigourney. Cameron even said he wouldn't do it without her and by Alien 3 Fox wouldn't do it without her even though I think it was too the detriment of the series.
Weaver almost didn't make it into the movie. Cameron wrote the script around Ripley without knowing that 20th Century Fox didn't have a deal in place with the actress. The studio ordered him to write her out of the picture, but he threatened to walk instead.

Eventually, the studio acknowledged Weaver was essential to the film and agreed to pay her $1 million, her biggest paycheck yet at that point in her career. It was about 30 times what she was paid in 1979 for the initial "Alien," when she was an unknown.
https://www.moviefone.com/2016/07/16...cameron-facts/
Old 08-25-17, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

The point is that Wonder Woman is ABOUT Wonder Woman and the power of being a woman. T2 and Aliens are not about the power of being a woman.

I know so many women (who are aware of Cameron's movies too) who adored Wonder Woman. In here we have a bunch of guys who don't seem to understand what the impact was like for women to see someone like her on the big screen. That just goes to show that yeah, guys don't get it. Nor do they need to.
Old 08-25-17, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
The point is that Wonder Woman is ABOUT Wonder Woman and the power of being a woman. T2 and Aliens are not about the power of being a woman.

I know so many women (who are aware of Cameron's movies too) who adored Wonder Woman. In here we have a bunch of guys who don't seem to understand what the impact was like for women to see someone like her on the big screen. That just goes to show that yeah, guys don't get it. Nor do they need to.

The funny part is they don't even understand that they don't get it.
Old 08-25-17, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Supergirl was about the power of being a woman and she saved the day with no help from her more famous cousin. Catwoman beat the shit out of Batman and saved the day in her own movie. Batgirl saved Robin in Batman and Robin and helped saved the day. Elektra saved the day in her own movie. Angelina Jolie showed the power of women in Tomb Raider.

When people say that they don't get it its because these kick ass women that everyone seems to claim never existed before hand have always been there. They just weren't paying attention.

Plus considering that you work on a feminist show, and one of your coworkers cried during Ghostbusters because an out of shape women was acting heroic, you might be hanging with a pretty biased crowd.
Old 08-25-17, 12:53 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

Plus considering that you work on a feminist show, and one of your coworkers cried during Ghostbusters because an out of shape women was acting heroic, you might be hanging with a pretty biased crowd.
Oh, the humanity!!! A feminist show??

Leave it to straight males to continue to define whether or not anyone else's experiences are valid.
Old 08-25-17, 12:57 PM
Banned

The underlying premise of Aliens is that the instinctual feminine identity, the role to be a mother, is the strongest thing in the universe. Both the villain and hero derive their power from it, and it defies all attempts to be quashed by all the males who are unable to overcome it.

Last edited by Mabuse; 08-25-17 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-25-17, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I think Cameron should have made the argument more about how he was the one of the first directors to write strong female leads into action/scifi genre movies. The one thing that annoyed me about the 'Girl Power' BS during the Wonder Woman hype last summer was they were essentially saying this was the first, and Cameron has a right to lay that claim.

In saying that, can we get a god damn BluRay of The Abyss!
Seriously? Who cares that that annoyed you. Are you a woman? If not...IT WASN'T MEANT FOR YOU.
Old 08-25-17, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

I think Cameron is still sore about Avatar losing to Hurt Locker.
Old 08-25-17, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Old 08-25-17, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
Gotta love Why so blu? He says he doesn't want to go political, then he goes totally political. He even brings Black Lives Matter into it. Wow.

No female centric film since Kill Bill? How about Grindhouse? How about Lucy and Salt and Ghost in the Shell?

You missed the point and how vague I was being about BLM, but I'm not surprised. It is you after all.

Thanks for clarifying those other films -- I went further back than those most recent ones you listed.
Old 08-25-17, 01:29 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Whatta buncha cucks!
Old 08-25-17, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Supergirl was about the power of being a woman and she saved the day with no help from her more famous cousin. Catwoman beat the shit out of Batman and saved the day in her own movie. Batgirl saved Robin in Batman and Robin and helped saved the day. Elektra saved the day in her own movie. Angelina Jolie showed the power of women in Tomb Raider.

When people say that they don't get it its because these kick ass women that everyone seems to claim never existed before hand have always been there. They just weren't paying attention.

Yes, there have always been kick-ass women in the movies, but a lot of your examples were pretty terrible movies. That means fewer people see them, and some people will wrongly think that women can't carry a movie. Wonder Woman was in a different class from all of those.
Old 08-25-17, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Yes, there have always been kick-ass women in the movies, but a lot of your examples were pretty terrible movies. That means fewer people see them, and some people will wrongly think that women can't carry a movie. Wonder Woman was in a different class from all of those.
Because her cameo in a shitty movie was its only highlight?
Old 08-25-17, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Correction - I work for a female-focused talk show. And it was a friend of mine, not a co-worker.

But I'm glad you care so much about my personal life

But yes, my "biased" crowd thinks it's cool that there is finally one successful female-lead superhero movie after dozens of male-lead movies. It's super weird that that upsets you.
Old 08-25-17, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Supergirl was about the power of being a woman and she saved the day with no help from her more famous cousin. Catwoman beat the shit out of Batman and saved the day in her own movie. Batgirl saved Robin in Batman and Robin and helped saved the day. Elektra saved the day in her own movie. Angelina Jolie showed the power of women in Tomb Raider..
Catwoman, Elektra, Batman & Robin and Tomb Raider... all terrible movies which objectified women with their outfits. Not the strongest bunch of leading ladies to point to.
Old 08-25-17, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Yes, there have always been kick-ass women in the movies, but all of your examples were pretty terrible movies. That means fewer people see them, and some people will wrongly think that women can't carry a movie. Wonder Woman was in a different class from all of those.
Fixed
Old 08-25-17, 02:44 PM
Banned

Is Batman actually in the Halle Berry Catwoman? I never knew that.
Old 08-25-17, 02:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Catwoman, Elektra, Batman & Robin and Tomb Raider... all terrible movies which objectified women with their outfits. Not the strongest bunch of leading ladies to point to.
That's what Jame Cameron is saying. And he's adding that he thinks Wonder Woman is more of the same.
Old 08-25-17, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

It's a shame Cameron didn't get to make his Spider-Man movie. I'm pretty sure it would have been the best Spidey of the movie adaptations.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.