Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wonder Woman (2017, D: Patty Jenkins) S: Gadot, Pine

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Wonder Woman (2017, D: Patty Jenkins) S: Gadot, Pine

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-17, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts
Re: Wonder Woman (2017, D: Patty Jenkins,) S: Gadot, Pine

And then "Wonder Woman III: The Trumpocalypse."

It will be yuge. Absolutely tremendous. You've never seen anything like it. It will make billions and billions of dollars.
Old 01-12-17, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Wonder Woman 1 takes place during World War I. Wonder Woman 2 will take place during WWII. Symmetry.
Yeah, but Steve Trevor was a young fighter pilot in World War 2. So, how do they address that?
Old 01-12-17, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Uh, you just have him be a fighter pilot in WWI. Is that so hard to do? Not everyone is anchored to a comic.
Old 01-12-17, 01:54 PM

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

WWI Steve Trevor dies and hometown girl has Steve Trevor Jr. Steve Jr is young WWII pilot named Steve Trevor.
Old 01-12-17, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Not everyone is anchored to a comic.
I know that. In the reboots they had Diana's mother as WW during World War 2. I was just wondering how they were going to go about it if there was a 2nd Wonder Woman movie. Maybe they will just jump to the present in the 2nd one.
Old 01-12-17, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
I know that. In the reboots they had Diana's mother as WW during World War 2. I was just wondering how they were going to go about it if there was a 2nd Wonder Woman movie. Maybe they will just jump to the present in the 2nd one.
I feel like that's a given - My guess is this will be just like the first Captain America movie - set in the past but wraps up in the present.
Old 01-12-17, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Yeah, but Steve Trevor was a young fighter pilot in World War 2. So, how do they address that?
Originally Posted by TomOpus
Uh, you just have him be a fighter pilot in WWI. Is that so hard to do? Not everyone is anchored to a comic.
Well if we're going by this forum's stance, no one knows who Wonder Woman is anyway. Doubtful if anyone cares if they change up some details.
Old 01-12-17, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Stop tafferizing guys. We all lose.
Old 01-12-17, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Well if we're going by this forum's stance, no one knows who Wonder Woman is anyway. Doubtful if anyone cares if they change up some details.
To be fair I'd imagine most of the casual audience knows of the character but I doubt many know a lot about her. Her biggest exposure aside from Batman V Superman is probably the 70s series or possibly the Timm DCAU Justice League shows.
Old 01-12-17, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
And then "Wonder Woman III: The Trumpocalypse."

It will be yuge. Absolutely tremendous. You've never seen anything like it. It will make billions and billions of dollars.
People all over love the Wonder Woman. I love the Wonder Woman. I love them so much I have hired several of them and then just grab them by their Wonder Woman-hood. Some of the greatest people you will ever know, I really admire the Amazons. However the people spoke when I won the election, and the Amazons will build that wall. They will pay for it. Or maybe they will reimburse us -- through payments, taxes, or just fast food coupons, but they will pay for it.

It's going to be great. With superheroes -- love the superheroes by the way, great people -- we'll have that wall built my first day as President, which is an office that I won. It will definitely be simultaneously erected with my swearing in. Well, maybe it will be the next week because the people are going to busy celebrating with the great bands we have. I've heard them all, they are great bands. They play every kind of music at one time, you're going to be amazed. But then we have to do work, and that wall will be built and paid for simultaneously on that day or sometime that week. It may be a bit later in the month, but it will definitely be done virtually simultaneously at different times.
Old 01-12-17, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Is that a real question?
Old 01-13-17, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
To be fair I'd imagine most of the casual audience knows of the character but I doubt many know a lot about her. Her biggest exposure aside from Batman V Superman is probably the 70s series or possibly the Timm DCAU Justice League shows.
She is much more well known than most of the Marvel heroes before their big movies, with the exception of maybe Spider-Man.
Old 01-13-17, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

You're both correct though. That drove me bonkers in the BvS pre-release thread. All the claims that people have no idea who WW is. It was absurd. She's iconic.

I do agree that most don't have an inkling about her past, world, ties to Greek mythos, etc. That will come as a big surprise to movie goers this year.

There was a point in time when no one knew who the fuck Iron Man, Captain America and Thor were, and it wasn't all that long ago. Things can change in a heartbeat given the right story and execution. So far so good on the execution part as most seem to agree she was one of the highlights of BvS.
Old 01-15-17, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

As a non-comic reader, Michael is right about me. I know who most of the characters are, what they were mainly about/their abilities, but not necessarily what their history was. I knew WW was an amazon, lived on an island without men, but didn't know that they were actually tied with Zeus' amazons. I'm looking forward to seeing that detailed.
Old 02-19-17, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Exclusive: Here’s who is playing the villain Ares in ‘Wonder Woman’

Spoiler:
Last month, French magazine Studio Ciné Live did a big feature on Wonder Woman. It was there that we first learned that Ares would be the villain in the movie. This was backed up earlier this month when images of Wonder Woman action figures surfaced that included collectible pieces of Ares’ armor.

Now, Batman News can exclusively report who is playing the villain. According to multiple sources, David Thewlis, best known as Professor Lupin in Harry Potter, will be playing Ares in Wonder Woman. I’m told that Ares is a mix of CGI and practical effects, and that he’s the main villain in the movie.
Old 02-19-17, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
She is much more well known than most of the Marvel heroes before their big movies, with the exception of maybe Spider-Man.
I didn't say she wasn't known at all just that she's a character who people have familiarity with as in knowing who the character is but probably don't know a ton about her backstory or anything. Hell even as a comic fan I hardly consider myself well versed on Wonder Woman. I've read some of her stories and seen shows that she's in and know some of the basics about her as a character but that's about it.
Old 02-19-17, 04:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Ha, not anymore.
Old 02-19-17, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 551 Likes on 343 Posts

Did Disney make enough of a profit on Doctor Strange to help pay off the critics to hate on Wonder Woman when it comes out?

Last edited by stvn1974; 02-19-17 at 04:35 PM. Reason: Not being able to spell.
Old 02-19-17, 04:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Well they're bankrolling the Marvel universe, so having a Doctor Strange and Ant-Man is something they can easily do without them making extreme bank. DC still needs to put out one decent film. Maybe Wonder Woman will be it. I wouldn't mind that. Doubtful, but I'll still see it no matter what.
Old 02-20-17, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So the video in the spoilers claims to be a breakdown of the film. It sounds pretty legitimate. There are spoilers within though so don't watch if that bothers you.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Some choice words: dark, dreary, lots of slow mo action scenes, light on humor.
Old 02-20-17, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Works for me. I'm there for Gal.
Old 02-20-17, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
So the video in the spoilers claims to be a breakdown of the film. It sounds pretty legitimate. There are spoilers within though so don't watch if that bothers you.
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Some choice words: dark, dreary, lots of slow mo action scenes, light on humor.
In short, typical Hack Snyder fare. Yay!
Old 02-21-17, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Apparently the movie, from what I read on reddit anyway, is 127 minutes.
Old 02-21-17, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

These are supposed pics of the Ares action figure if you want an idea of how he will look in the flick:
Spoiler:

Old 02-21-17, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
You're both correct though. That drove me bonkers in the BvS pre-release thread. All the claims that people have no idea who WW is. It was absurd. She's iconic.
No doubt she is, but it doesn't help much that, unlike Bats and Supes, her origin has been tinkered with quite a bit over the years, as have other details of her existence. My sister-in-law grew up in the Linda Carter era, and recently voiced disbelief that Wonder Woman can fly. (Speaking of which, has it been established yet whether Gadot WW can fly?)

Pretty much everyone knows Bats' and Supes' origins and abilities. The only real things consistent about Wonder Woman is her home island, her mother, her truth-compelling lasso, her bullet-deflecting bracelets, and her invisible plane.

Variables: her date of birth, her father (or lack thereof), the source of her powers, her weaknesses (boy, is that a can of worms), her level of strength, ability to fly, and other variable powers (like telekinesis over her lasso).

Not sure what my point is, other than the fact that it's pretty excusable for the general public not to completely have their heads wrapped around who she is.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.