Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wonder Woman (2017, D: Patty Jenkins) S: Gadot, Pine

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Wonder Woman (2017, D: Patty Jenkins) S: Gadot, Pine

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-06, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I still think you need a, well, Amazon. Someone that looks like if you hit her with the board, the board will shatter and she'll kick your ass. None of the spindly pretty-girls mentioned in this thread recall that image.

Lucy Lawless? Yes. Someone from the WWE? ( ) Yes.
Old 04-06-06, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Lucy Lawless is now 38 years old, she's also a decade past viability (for sequel requirements).
Old 04-06-06, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts
Originally Posted by The Bus
I still think you need a, well, Amazon. Someone that looks like if you hit her with the board, the board will shatter and she'll kick your ass. None of the spindly pretty-girls mentioned in this thread recall that image.
Yes, exactly.

That's why I'm for Katherine Heigl. She's tall and... um, healthy.

Old 04-06-06, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RaMMaR
So, is Morena Baccarin out of the running?
I haven't heard that she was in the running (makes sense, however), but she'd be great.
Old 04-06-06, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RaMMaR
So, is Morena Baccarin out of the running? She'd have to go through some intensive training - like Biel did for Blade 2 - but i think she'd truly look the part.
As for the height (5' 8") thing, hell Wolvie ain't 6' 3" tall....
I thought Joss Whedon has said he would be steering away from his previous players when casting this movie. I thought I had read that...but maybe I'm wrong.
Old 04-06-06, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope an unknown is cast.
Old 04-06-06, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Too small and too skinny to play a convincing Amazonian princess-warrior.
Old 04-06-06, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MASAMUNE2
I hope an unknown is cast.
I think that is the case because you need someone who looks around 30 years old, is at least 5' 9", and has natural black hair. I don't know of any major Hollywood actresses that fit this description.
Old 04-06-06, 08:55 PM

Performance is always an unknown, with an unknown. Though it's not like anyone cast in this role will be a thespian of any sorts.
Old 04-06-06, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrell
Too small and too skinny to play a convincing Amazonian princess-warrior.
Monica Bellucci...too skinny? Sorry, she's shaped like a real woman. You want skinny? Let's talk about all the Whedonites wet dream choice - Morena Baccarin. That's a stick with eyeballs right there.
Old 04-07-06, 03:20 PM

Monica Bellucci...too skinny?
Kate Beckinsale, not Bellucci! Although I will say I can't see Bellucci being any good as a warrior. Princess? Yeah! Warrior? No!
Old 04-07-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
I have a feeling that the opening of Bryan Singer's Superman will play heavily into whether or not an unknown is cast as Wonder Woman. Brandon Routh is currently a nobody, and if this movie is a hit, then I think WB will be comfortable with putting a no name in the role of WW. However, if this $200 million movie with an unknown in the lead tanks, then I would wager that WB will insist on a marquee name for the WW project to ensure some ticket sales on that alone.
Old 04-07-06, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts
If Superman tanks, I'd seriously consider canning Wonder Woman altogether. I think we've seen that even a marquee name (Halle Berry or Jennifer Garner) won't carry a superheroine movie by itself. Even if this is the premier superheroine.
Old 04-07-06, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by fujishig
If Superman tanks, I'd seriously consider canning Wonder Woman altogether. I think we've seen that even a marquee name (Halle Berry or Jennifer Garner) won't carry a superheroine movie by itself. Even if this is the premier superheroine.
I think there was more behind those two examples tanking than just their "marquee" names. Catwoman was a mess of Dolph Lungrian proportions. Why they even called it "Catwoman", i'll never understand. And, I wouldn't call Garner a "marquee" name just yet. Other than Alias, she really hasn't done much of anything (other than Affleck).
Old 04-07-06, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
I think there was more behind those two examples tanking than just their "marquee" names. Catwoman was a mess of Dolph Lungrian proportions. Why they even called it "Catwoman", i'll never understand. And, I wouldn't call Garner a "marquee" name just yet. Other than Alias, she really hasn't done much of anything (other than Affleck).
Hmm... you're right, Garner isn't "marquee," but she's about the caliber of actress you'd get for a movie like this, if they don't cast an unknown. I don't think they'd be able to get any of the really big female stars, nor do I think they would fit. I kinda prefer an unknown (who can act, of course) so that I don't go into the movie thinking of the fifty other roles they've played.
Old 04-07-06, 11:16 PM

Catherine Bell would be good, but I'm hoping for Kate. She's the hottest.
Old 07-22-06, 11:22 PM

From SuperHeroHype.com:
Exclusive: Joel Silver on Wonder Woman

We've already heard repeatedly from producer Joel Silver that Joss Whedon had turned in an approved script for Wonder Woman, but we never have learned why Silver decided to pursue the rights to the DC Comics character created by William Marston, or why he picked Joss Whedon to direct it, for that matter.

In this exclusive interview with ComingSoon.net/SuperheroHype.com from the San Diego Comic-Con, where Silver was promoting his latest horror thriller The Reaping starring Hilary Swank, we asked him some of those unasked questions.

"It was after I made 'The Matrix' when I saw the response of the first tests and I realized the Trinity character was the highest-tested character," he told us. "This was before they had done 'Charlie's Angels' or 'Elektra' or any of these movies, and I thought, 'Let's just go out and try to make Wonder Woman work,' and I could never find a script that I liked, but we're close now."

And what made him think of getting Joss Whedon to write and direct it? "I just thought he would be the perfect guy to write it. I love Buffy and he's a great writer. I sat down with him and asked if he'd do it, and he wrote me a note where he passed, and in the note, he explained what the movie had to be. There was no way I was going to let him pass, so I hammered him until he said, 'Yes.'"

When asked about the general take that Joss took with the movie, Silver explained, "It's the origin story. It has mythology. Steve Trevor crashes on the island and they go back to Man's World."

"We have a script and we know where we're going," he responded when asked about where they are in the casting process. "She'll probably be someone you never saw before, because she's very young, but I think we'll have a good time with it."

Silver also responded to whether he has any worries about making the movie after the weak box office openings for other movies based on the big DC characters like Batman Begins and Superman Returns. "I love Batman and Superman, I love them both," he said. "I'm just trying to get the best version of the movie that I can. It's the trifecta. Those are the three oaks of DC Comics. I mean, Marvel Comics have tended to be hipper and cooler in many ways because they were designed to react against the DC Comics, but the DC Comics characters were the real deal, so we're trying to get this right."

Source
From Empire Online:
Comic-Con: Joel Silver On Wonder Woman
Project is going ahead, says producer

So… Batman’s Begun. Superman’s Returned. Now, we’re all wondering when we’re going to see, erm, Wonder Woman Begin To Return to the silver screen. OK, let’s just make that plain old Wonder Woman, the last member of DC’s Big Three (sorry Green Lantern) to be turned into a movie.

It seems like Joss Whedon has been working on the script (which he plans to direct) forever. But lately some rumours have sprung up that all was not well on the project, that Warner Bros. were not overly happy with the direction in which Whedon was taking the character… and that the plug might be pulled.

Not so, though, according to producer Joel Silver, who spoke briefly with Empire about the project at the San Diego Comic-Con.

“It’s real, but it’s not real yet. Joss has done a great job on the draft and now he’s tweaking it a little bit so we can give it to the studio in two weeks,” said Silver. “And if they believe in it in the way that we think they will, then we’ll be talking about that movie next year.”

All of which means that it’s early days – didn’t stop us asking about casting, though, especially with Hilary Swank, who’d be a good choice to fill the hotpants of the super-powered Amazonian princess, present in the room at that time (she was there with Silver to promote their new horror movie, The Reaping). But Silver says that he’s looking for a younger star, a la Brandon Routh in Superman Returns.

“We’re not there yet,” he added. “It’s an origin story so it’s gotta be a young girl. I don’t know if you’ll have heard of her before, but she’s gotta be young. But I don’t think Linda Carter’s available!

“I think that Wonder Woman is one of the three original oaks of the firmament of superheroes,” continued Silver. “Marvel Comics are a whole another arena – but I think we can pull it off. I wouldn’t do it if I didn’t think we could.”

Source
From iFMagazine:
JOEL SILVER TALKS WONDER WOMAN
The producer hopes to be at Comic-Con next year to talk about moving forward with Joss Whedon's production on the Amazonian comic book adaptation

The new horror film THE REAPING starring Hilary Swank and directed by Stephen Hopkins is due out November 8, and producer Joel Silver talked about this highly unusual Dark Castle film at Comic-Con today.

However, conversation quickly turned to another female driven film Silver is guiding – the movie adaptation of WONDER WOMAN by Joss Whedon.

"Joss is getting closer on the script," reveals Silver. "When we have a good script we all like, at that point the studio will agree to make it and we’ll go from there. He’s doing a good job. He’s utilizing the lore of the material and it’s an origin story, so you’re dealing with the origin of the story. He’s a very talented writer and he has a great story and ideas and moving our way toward making the movie and maybe next year we can start talking about the movie here."

For Silver, the biggest challenge of bringing WONDER WOMAN to the screen is finding a movie that works not only for fans, but for mainstream audiences as well.

"It’s finding the kind of movie that will appeal to everyone," says Silver. "It has to work , and it has to have a good character in WONDER WOMAN and be clever and it has to draw you in. Of these three [D.C.] characters. Superman is an alien, Batman is a tough guy and Wonder Woman is a goddess, so you have to work your way through the process."

And while speculation as to who will play the Amazonian goddess has been heating up even before a script is delivered, Silver reveals that there are more benefits to casting an unknown in the lead.

"Probably," he says. "She’s young, I don’t think it can be someone you’ve heard of. Once we have the template of the girl, we’ll be able to find her."

Source

Last edited by Barry Woodward; 07-22-06 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-22-06, 11:50 PM
Premium Member

Received 703 Likes on 467 Posts
Originally Posted by Barry Woodward
From SuperHeroHype.com:From Empire Online:From iFMagazine:
All of that seems to go into a "blah, blah, yadda, yadda". Essentially saying nothing. I'll be surprised if this ever happens.
Old 07-23-06, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Cow
All of that seems to go into a "blah, blah, yadda, yadda". Essentially saying nothing. I'll be surprised if this ever happens.
Well, it's not like he approached the press with news to tell. A bunch of comic book geeks pressured him for news and he gave them all he had. The movie will eventually get made. The studio is in no real hurry. They need a "good" script that they can get done cheap.
Old 07-23-06, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
It could be several years before we see this one, I only wish Joss Whedon wasn't so tied to it, so he could do something in the meantime.
Old 09-06-06, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some casting rumors, didn't know who she was then googled her and damn...

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Insider/?cmsGuid={E882AF71-8A9B-4A2C-8781-2F480C8A38E5}

edit: don't know why the link wont work, just copy and paste.

Last edited by Duh Vuh Duh; 09-06-06 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-06-06, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh
edit: don't know why the link wont work, just copy and paste.
Here's a working version of the link:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Insider/?cmsGuid={E882AF71-8A9B-4A2C-8781-2F480C8A38E5}
Old 09-06-06, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When I saw this got bumped I figured it would be people talking about the McPhee rumors. That would be an absolute joke if it came to fruition.
Old 09-14-06, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
I don't know if this is a reputable source (bangshowbiz.biz???) but they are indicating that Rachel Bilson (The OC) will play Wonder Woman in the new feature movie.

http://www.pr-inside.com/the-o-c-sta...new-r18553.htm

Just let me say that if true, I love Rachel Bilson and her character of Summer was the only reason that I watched the first two seasons of the OC but there is no way that she can be described as an Amazon Princess. She's tiny!!!

Link to youtube which feature her scene as Wonder Woman in an episode of the OC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FppQWpJImos
Old 09-14-06, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I don't know if this is a reputable source (bangshowbiz.biz???) but they are indicating that Rachel Bilson (The OC) will play Wonder Woman in the new feature movie.

http://www.pr-inside.com/the-o-c-sta...new-r18553.htm
From that article:
"Producers Warner Bros. have so far refused to confirm reports Bilson has landed the role."

So nothing official so far.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.