Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Panther (D: Coogler, 2/16/18) S: Chadwick Boseman

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Black Panther (D: Coogler, 2/16/18) S: Chadwick Boseman

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-18, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Re: Black Panther (D: Coogler, 2/16/18) S: Chadwick Boseman

Originally Posted by DJariya
So now we have 2 running review threads? This was the pre-release thread, but seem like some are posting their reviews here too.

That's always the drawback with this. A few here will post in the 1st thread they see with the movie title or the thread with the most activity.
"Movie so HUGE it needs two threads at DVDTalk"
Old 02-22-18, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
"Movie so HUGE it needs two threads at DVDTalk"
Most big movies get two threads.

Djariya's point is that reviews should go in the review thread so people don't get spoiled. This pre-release thread can live on for box-office discussion etc.
Old 02-22-18, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Yeah, that’s nuts. Kudos to the marketing department. Right movie at the right time. Marvel Studios can do no wrong right now. I liked the movie fine. Is it as good as the grosses indicate? Eh, probably not, but it’s getting people who may not go the superhero movies much, especially minorities. This bodes well for Avengers: Infinity War.
What's amazing to think is Avenger's Infinity War is much more promoted and anticipated than the Black Panther and it may not come come close or top Black Panther's final gross. If it does than Marvel will have one hell of a year. The antman sequel will be the most forgotten movie as it won't be anywhere in the league of these two movies.
Old 02-22-18, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
What's amazing to think is Avenger's Infinity War is much more promoted and anticipated than the Black Panther and it may not come come close or top Black Panther's final gross. If it does than Marvel will have one hell of a year. The antman sequel will be the most forgotten movie as it won't be anywhere in the league of these two movies.
Infinity War is the result of TEN YEARS of worldbuilding by the geniuses at Marvel/Disney. As impressive as Black Panther is, I believe that the final worldwide tally for Infinity War will be higher - possibly much higher. One thing that will draw people is the fact that we know that some of our heroes will die in that movie.
Old 02-22-18, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Most big movies get two threads.
It was tongue-in-cheek to help marketing with the home video box.
Old 02-22-18, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

[QUOTE=RoboDad;13275291]Infinity War is the result of TEN YEARS of worldbuilding by the geniuses at Marvel/Disney. As impressive as Black Panther is, I believe that the final worldwide tally for Infinity War will be higher - possibly much higher. One thing that will draw people is the fact that we know that
some of our heroes will die in that movie.[/QUOTE
Ininety War will be huge, but before Black Panther came out 600 million was huge. Avengers 4 will be the end of the current MC not 3, so if heroes die it may be in 4 not 3. Both these two movies will be very high up and we'll in the top ten, but I think the top grossing movie is still up for grabs and I wouldn't give it to the Avengers just yet. BP has an A+ and is very high on Rotten Tomatoes. There's now reviews yet for A but it cant get much better than Black Panther. If the reviews are bad it will hurt it.
Old 02-23-18, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4373&p=.htm

In forecasting Black Panther's second weekend we'll begin by using previous films that grossed over $200 million in their opening weekend as our guide. Of the previous four $200M+ openers, Star Wars: The Force Awakens dropped 39.8% in its second weekend, Jurassic World dipped 49%, The Avengers dropped 50.3% and Star Wars: The Last Jedi fell 67.5%. Of the lot, using IMDb page view data we see Black Panther pacing closest to Jurassic World while outperforming The Last Jedi following release.

Added to that detail, Black Panther has been delivering the best daily grosses compared to previous titles in the Marvel Cinematic Universe all week. On top of delivering the largest Monday of all-time among all titles, it also delivered the largest Tuesday and Wednesday among all MCU titles. Additionally, online ticket retailer Fandango.com reports the film is dominating sales once again as we head into the weekend, showing no signs of slowing down. Expect those that missed out on opening weekend and repeat customers to fill cinemas as we are expecting this to be a near-record second weekend.

At this time we're anticipating a ~41% drop for the three-day, looking at a performance around $120 million, which would be the second largest second weekend ever and put the film's domestic cume right around $410 million by the end of the day Sunday. Should it hit these marks it would also join Jurassic World as the second fastest to reach $400 million.
Damn!
Old 02-23-18, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Ten years ago would anyone have thought that a Black Panther movie would do better box office than a Justice League or Batman v Superman movie? I mean its not there yet, but its already two thirds of the the way to JL's Box Office in just over a week. Its gonna end up trashing both. Hell the last Thor movie made around $200 million more than JL.
Old 02-23-18, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
Ten years ago would anyone have thought that a Black Panther movie would do better box office than a Justice League or Batman v Superman movie? I mean its not there yet, but its already two thirds of the the way to JL's Box Office in just over a week. Its gonna end up trashing both. Hell the last Thor movie made around $200 million more than JL.
I didn't see JL in the theaters. I saw BP twice in week 1. Clearly I'm part of the problem.
Old 02-23-18, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Heck, not to dump just on DC but Black Panther is going to make more then all the other Marvel properties outside of the first Avengers, and it has a shot of beating even that.
Old 02-23-18, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd love to see the demographic breakdown for this movie. It didn't surprise me at all that there was a large percentage of African Americans in the audience. It did surprise me they were senior citizens. Something about BP brought out the old folk that I've never seen at a super hero movie before. Several families but I swear it was 50% over 70 yrs old. I felt like I was in a retirement home.
Old 02-23-18, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I think this movie has resonated with a much larger demographic, specifically with African-American audiences who probably don't go to see movies with expensive ticket prices. Movies like Justice League even though it was a box office disappointment cater to a more niche audience.

When I saw this last week, I would say the majority of the audience in my theater was African-American and some even played dress up and wore the traditional African shirts and such.
Old 02-23-18, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I think this movie has resonated with a much larger demographic, specifically with African-American audiences who probably don't go to see movies with expensive ticket prices. Movies like Justice League even though it was a box office disappointment cater to a more niche audience.

When I saw this last week, I would say the majority of the audience in my theater was African-American and some even played dress up and wore the traditional African shirts and such.
That's a weird qualifier. Why not African Americans who usually don't go see super-hero movies?
Old 02-23-18, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
That's a weird qualifier. Why not African Americans who usually don't go see super-hero movies?
and that too.
Old 02-23-18, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't see how Justice League caters to a niche audience. Superhero movies are basically the biggest summer blockbusters. I get what you're trying to say, but niche is a terrible word to use in comparison
Old 02-23-18, 02:28 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Old 02-23-18, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That's pretty funny. I always enjoy hearing about actors in to nerdy stuff like that
Old 02-25-18, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With the success of this movie and what is going to be most likely a very high gross for The Avengers 3, it could be possible that this will be the second time in history that a Star Wars movie will not take the number one gross at the box office for the year. For the newest Star Wars movie to take the number one spot it will have to do almost as well or even better than what the Last Jedi made 8in box office this last year. That will be no small feat.