Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Actress Misty Upham (Frozen River, August: OC) Reported Missing. Possible suicide.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Actress Misty Upham (Frozen River, August: OC) Reported Missing. Possible suicide.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-14, 06:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...n_5968588.html

this actually upsets me because i really enjoyed her in Frozen River.
Old 10-11-14, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
Re: Actress Misty Upham (Frozen River, August: OC) Reported Missing. Possible suicide

So if you didn't enjoy her performance, you'd be okay with her disappearance?
Old 10-11-14, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Actress Misty Upham (Frozen River, August: OC) Reported Missing. Possible suicide

Originally Posted by Decker
So if you didn't enjoy her performance, you'd be okay with her disappearance?
Seems reasonable. This happens all the time. People only care when there is a reason. Being somewhat famous is one of them.
Old 10-11-14, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

No idea who she is, but I care because she is hot. If she were ugly I would not care.

Maybe she is hanging out with Nick Stahl. Did anybody ever find him?
Old 10-17-14, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 91 Posts

Update: DEAD.

http://deadline.com/2014/10/misty-up...police-853408/

Misty Upham Found Dead: Family Of ‘Frozen River’ Actress Says Police Uncooperative In Search

Misty Upham, who was nominated for an Indie Spirit Award in 2009 for her role in the feature film Frozen River, was found dead in the woods in Auburn, WA, today after going missing earlier this month. She was 32. Filmmaker friend Tracy Rector, speaking on behalf of the family, confirmed that the Native American actress was found by a search party led by uncle Robert Upham. She was later identified by family members. “The main thing her family wants people to know is that the Auburn Police Department would not cooperate in looking for Misty,” Rector told Deadline. “There’s a long history of police harassment and friction between the police and the Muckleshoot community here, and her family feels they dropped the ball and Misty perhaps would have been found if the police had taken it seriously.”

“Misty was a talented and kind soul who will be greatly missed,” said Upham’s manager Richard Kerner. “My deepest condolences to her family and friends.”

Upham, whose recent credits included the Oscar-nominated August: Osage County and Django Unchained, was reported missing by her family October 6. Her body was found this afternoon near the White River less than an hour outside Seattle, according to that city’s KIRO-TV. A search party of three found Upham’s purse and ID and later discovered her body at the bottom of a 150-foot ravine, the Seattle Times reported. The body was not immediately ID’d but the paper quoted a police spokesman as saying there was a “good chance” it was Upham. The King County Coroner’s office is expected to make a statement tomorrow.

. . .

Earlier this week on October 12, Upham’s father Charles issued a statement via Facebook revealing his daughter’s struggles with mental illness and his frustration at the Auburn Police Department’s lack of mobilization. He also emphasized that he did not believe Upham would take her own life. “We have requested help from the Muckleshoot tribe for search teams but they do not have funding for that. We are petitioning Auburn PD to implement the ENDANGERED MISSING PERSONS PLAN. This will allow law enforcement to search for her and bring her into medical care when they find her. But they feel she does not fit the profile at this time. The detective on the case assured our family that Auburn PD is doing everything they can to find Misty. But then they release a press statement and say they are not looking for her. These mixed messages are confusing.”
Old 10-17-14, 09:05 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

She was in Django Unchained?
Old 10-17-14, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
She was in Django Unchained?
Old 10-17-14, 04:13 PM

sad. i really liked her.
Old 10-17-14, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
sad. i really liked her.
Yup, she was great in Frozen River.
Old 10-17-14, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by inri222
Yup, she was great in Frozen River.
yes she was, played off of Melissa Leo perfectly, and great movie!
Old 10-17-14, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

She was also good in "Skins" as an abused wife.
Old 10-17-14, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,096 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by printerati
Update: DEAD.
What do you want on your tombstone?
Old 10-17-14, 11:04 PM
Premium Member

Received 692 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
What do you want on your tombstone?
Pepperoni and sausage.
Old 10-18-14, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

I heard she was great in Frozen River.
Old 10-18-14, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I heard she was great in Frozen River.
rent it. you won't be sorry.
Old 10-18-14, 11:37 AM

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1978857

Misty Upham's family claims the "August: Osage County" actress's death was an accident while she ran away from police — not a suicide.

The 32-year-old fell into a ravine in a wooded area behind her Auburn, Wash., apartment during a desperate attempt to flee from the officers she was afraid of, the Upham family explained in a Facebook post titled "Official Upham Family Press Release."

"She simply did not see the drop off," the post, allegedly penned by her father Charles Upham, said.

The family claimed Misty Upham bolted from home when police stopped by earlier this month.
Old 10-18-14, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1978857

Misty Upham's family claims the "August: Osage County" actress's death was an accident while she ran away from police — not a suicide.

The 32-year-old fell into a ravine in a wooded area behind her Auburn, Wash., apartment during a desperate attempt to flee from the officers she was afraid of, the Upham family explained in a Facebook post titled "Official Upham Family Press Release."

"She simply did not see the drop off," the post, allegedly penned by her father Charles Upham, said.

The family claimed Misty Upham bolted from home when police stopped by earlier this month.
Yes, people running away from the police often stop to take off their shoes and lay down their purse at the top of the drop off that they did not see.

Last edited by DVD Josh; 10-18-14 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-18-14, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Yeah, I think the family is in denial.
Old 10-19-14, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

It bothers me that at first the family blamed police for not doing enough, and then come out and say she died because she was hiding from the police.

I know TMZ is no paragon of journalistic integrity, but they were wondering if the family is denying the suicide reports due to a possibly large life insurance policy. Of course, it wouldn't pay if she killed herself.
Old 10-19-14, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by collven
It bothers me that at first the family blamed police for not doing enough, and then come out and say she died because she was hiding from the police.

I know TMZ is no paragon of journalistic integrity, but they were wondering if the family is denying the suicide reports due to a possibly large life insurance policy. Of course, it wouldn't pay if she killed herself.
That's a myth. Most life insurance policies do pay on suicide but there usually is a time frame built within the policy. You can't just take one out and then kill yourself immediately. But most pay if you kill yourself sometimes one or two years after the policy has been taken out. Depends on the policy and the company.
Old 10-19-14, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Oh wow. She was cool in Django.

"Get your big ass out the way."

"Oh you know you like it!"

"That's cuz you know what I like!"

She looks totally different.
Old 10-19-14, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Mine has a 2-year suicide clause.
Old 10-19-14, 10:19 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You just look that up or what?
Old 10-19-14, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

No, just remember that clause when I signed up..... 2 years ago
Old 10-20-14, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
No, just remember that clause when I signed up..... 2 years ago
Times up!