Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies you saw once, didn't like, saw again, still didn't like, saw again and liked?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies you saw once, didn't like, saw again, still didn't like, saw again and liked?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-14, 01:23 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

For me, Natural Born Killers.

I remember seeing the movie when I was a young teen (would have been 13 or 14 I guess?), and thinking it was terrible. I saw it again, and still wasn't a fan. I think I just found it to be too violent for me, as I hadn't been exposed to much violence quite yet. BUT, when the director's cut came out, I was compelled to pick it up (mostly because of the Burn music video on the second tape), and lo and behold... I thought the movie was brilliant. Obviously, I was less than half the age I am now, so I was impressionable and just starting to see R-rated flicks, but I'm not sure how I hated it so much at first, but ended up coming to love it that third time around. Maybe it was because Oliver Stone explained the absurdity of it all in his intro or whatever, but somehow it clicked with me from that point forward. I watched it again a few years ago, and I still think it's a great film, but maybe not as great as I did at that point. I definitely don't hate it as much as I did on the first viewing though.

Anyway, have YOU ever seen a movie, didn't like it, saw it again, still didn't like it, but after three or four viewings, somehow ended up liking or even loving it?
Old 08-20-14, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Movies you saw once, didn't like, saw again, still didn't like, saw again and lik

"Movies that took a few viewings to appreciate" would probably also work.
Old 08-20-14, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Re: Movies you saw once, didn't like, saw again, still didn't like, saw again and lik

For me, it wasn't because I didn't LIKE it, but because I was so traumatized by it when I first saw it.

I saw Jaws in 1979 as an 8-year old during a 2nd run showing.

That movie traumatized me so much that every time it was on ABC, or even saw a commercial, I would run out of the room.

It took me til the 4th opportunity that I could watch it (on ABC or HBO or VHS) again.

Ever since that 4th opportunity in 1984, I've loved it ever since. It's my 3rd favorite movie behind Star Wars and Empire.
Old 08-20-14, 01:33 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

None. Why would I rematch a movie I didn't like?
Old 08-20-14, 01:35 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
"Movies that took a few viewings to appreciate" would probably also work.
Yeah, but... my title is more fun...

Originally Posted by Groucho
I don't know the intricacies of how such things are determined, but I imagine if you got along well, then a rematch would not be required, and you'd just call it a draw.
Old 08-20-14, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
Pride. I hate losing too, but I'll take on a rematch anytime.
Old 08-20-14, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I've given some films a 2nd chance. Don't think I've ever given one another opportunity after that.
Old 08-20-14, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

If I decide to give a movie a second chance and I didn't like it by then, there is no way in hell I will watch it ever again.
Old 08-20-14, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It took me a few tries to get into 28 Days Later, rather enjoyed it after that.
Old 08-20-14, 01:47 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Austin Powers
Friday
Old 08-20-14, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,209 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I watched Pirates of the Caribbean several times before I came to really like it.

I fell asleep the first several times I tried watching Silence of the Lambs. I still don't find it terribly scary but it's a damn fine movie.

Thanks to DVDTalk, there have been many instances where I saw a movie once or twice, didn't care for it, and then gave it yet another watch on the recommendation of fellow DVDTalkers.
Old 08-20-14, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never had a movie that I watched twice that I hated, only to watch again. I don't have the time to watch a movie 3 times that I did not like.
Old 08-20-14, 03:10 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Movies I tried to watch, then passed out drunk, tried to watch again, passed out drunk again, and finally finished years later while sober...a long list.
Old 08-20-14, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Movies I tried to watch, then passed out drunk, tried to watch again, passed out drunk again, and finally finished years later while sober...a long list.
It must be nice, every movie is the neverending story.
Old 08-20-14, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I've given some films a 2nd chance. Don't think I've ever given one another opportunity after that.
This...If after 2 viewings I "still" don't like it there is no third times a charm. I just don't have time.

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I can relate to this as well.

Last edited by d2cheer; 08-20-14 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-20-14, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Matrix. Hated it the first time. I like it a lot more now, still don't love it though.
Old 08-20-14, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Apocalypse Now
Old 08-20-14, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Detention (2011)

I hated it on my first viewing. Thought it was pretty good for what it is on my second viewing. Either way, itīs a very special kind of film.
Old 08-20-14, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me

Unforgiven

Fargo
Old 08-20-14, 09:37 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

What is now my favorite movie ever... The Fifth Element... and all three times were in the theater. Third time was the charm.
Old 08-20-14, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
If I decide to give a movie a second chance and I didn't like it by then, there is no way in hell I will watch it ever again.
Old 08-20-14, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I can imagine a film by someone really esoteric and difficult which I admire much more than I like, and could therefore find myself revisiting out of intellectual interest, especially if a particular review or analysis told me to look for something specific on another viewing. But if that were the case, even if I didn't "like" the film, there'd have to be something in it which I responded to to get me to come back.
Old 08-20-14, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Old 08-22-14, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

When I first discovered horror movies as a kid at 10 or 11, and secretly started watching them behind my parents back, I was burning through every movie in the horror section of my local videostore. I was hooked. The Halloween films, Friday The 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, Exorcist I loved it all. Anyhow as I was going through the horror section title by title, for WHATEVER reason this video store had decided to put A Clockwork Orange in the horror section. When you're a kid and all you're looking for is to be scared by the boogeyman, Alex DeLarge is not that boogeyman. He's more of an adult boogeyman. Anyhow, I hated it when I saw it, and for a time I called it the worst movie I'd ever seen. That all changed when I watched it again some years later. I watched it again with some friends and even though I maintained througout the film that I didn't like it and even tried convincely myself of this, I realized after that I actually sort of dug it. And it just kept getting better and better after every repeated viewing.
Old 08-22-14, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

After becoming more familiar with David Lynch (somewhere around the Mulholland Drive's release) I revisited Blue Velvet. Much better.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.