Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Yoga Hosers (D: Kevin Smith) S: spawn of Smith & Depp - Tusk "sequel"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-14, 02:24 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Johnny Depp and Kevin Smith are teaming up for what is being dubbed a “comic book movie” and are bringing their daughters with them.

This week, Smith will start principal photography on Yoga Hosers, an action-adventure movie that will star Depp, his daughter Lily-Rose Depp, and Smith's daugther Harley Quinn Smith.

The movie is Smith’s follow-up to Tusk, which premieres at the Toronto Film Festival in September and is the second installment of Smith’s True North Trilogy, movies which are steeped in Canadian myths and culture.
In fact, the entire cast of Tusk is returning for Hosers, including Michael Parks, Justin Long, Haley Joel Osment, Genesis Rodriguez, Ralph Garman, Jennifer Schwalbach and Harley Morenstein.

New to the cast are Tony Hale, Natasha Lyonne, Austin Butler, Adam Brody, Tyler Posey and Jason Mewes.

StarStream Entertainment, which is behind A24’s current release Life After Beth, is financing and producing the film in association with Invincible Pictures, Abbolita Productions and Smith’s SModcast Pictures.
XYZ Films will be selling foreign rights for the film at this year’s Toronto Film Festival while WME Global handling North American rights. (XYZ Films is also handling foreign sales on Tusk.)

Hosers, written by Smith, centers on 15-year-old yoga nuts Colleen Collette (Lily-Rose Depp) and Colleen McKenzie (Harley Quinn Smith) who have an after-school job at a Manitoba convenience store called Eh-2-Zed. When an ancient evil rises from beneath Canada’s crust and threatens their big invitation to a Grade 12 party, the Colleens join forces with a legendary man-hunter from Montreal named Guy Lapointe (Depp) to fight for their lives with, according to the producers, “all seven Charkas, one Warrior Pose at a time.”
(The characters of the convenience store clerks appear briefly in Tusk.)
Smith, a comic book geek who has written titles for Marvel and DC and who once wrote a Superman movie script, said he considers this his entrey into the comic book movie genre.

“People always ask me ‘Are you ever going to make a comic book movie?’” Smith said. “This is it - but instead of yet another dude saving the day, our antiheroes are the most feared and formidable creatures man has ever encountered: two fifteen year old girls.”
Said StarStream CEO Kim Leadford: “The timing couldn't be more perfect as so many production companies are struggling to find content to fill a serious void in the market of female superheroes and antiheroes. And, it's pretty exciting to have their dads making the film with them."

Liz Destro, Jordan Monsanto and Jennifer Schwalbach are producing Hosers. Leadford and Charles Bonan of StarStream will executive produce alongside Abolitta Productions’ Tim Nye and XYZ Films.
Old 08-19-14, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: Yoga Hosers (D: Smith) S: Depp - Tusk "sequel"

He named his daughter Harley Quinn?
Old 08-19-14, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Of course he did.
Old 08-19-14, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Sounds like a fun flick to me and a solid cast. I've really been enjoying Natasha Lyonne on Orange is the New Black.

Also I haven't jumped on the "The Internet Hates Kevin Smith Now" train.
Old 08-19-14, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Also I haven't jumped on the "The Internet Hates Kevin Smith Now" train.
Me neither. Still a big fan. This one sounds like a lot of fun. I'll definitely see it.
Old 08-20-14, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Guh ... why does everything have to be a trilogy?

OK ... That said, I'm not on the Kevin Smith hate-wagon. More like the Kevin Smith indiferrence-wagon. It seems as if he is starting to have fun making movies again, so hopefully that helps.

I'm not keen on the "let's make a movie with our kids in it" concept though ...
Old 08-21-14, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I don't know how Smith ever managed to land Johnny Depp. In Tusk, the role of Guy Lapointe was originally offered to Quentin Tarantino. He turned it down, so who does Kevin go to next? Oh, just Johnny Fucking Depp. How does that even work? Going from a director who sometimes acts (poorly), to one of the biggest movie stars on the planet. Strange days.

I think their kids are the same age. They must go to school together or something, the only other possible explanation is Depp really loved Red State.

Now for the sequel the leads are Johnny Depp and his kid and Kevin Smiths kid. I sure hope she can act better than Smiths wife. I dunno, I'm really pretty stoked for all this. Its strange, its offbeat, its something you'd NEVER expect from Smith, something you'd NEVER expect from Depp. I kind of dig it.
Old 08-28-14, 06:31 PM

Looks like Stan Lee is working with Smith again.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/stan...oga-hosers-283
Old 08-28-14, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
OK ... That said, I'm not on the Kevin Smith hate-wagon. More like the Kevin Smith indiferrence-wagon. It seems as if he is starting to have fun making movies again, so hopefully that helps.
This is pretty much where I stand with Smith at this point. For a while he made some average to shitty films, but Red State seemed like a step back in the right direction and Tusk sounds interesting. The guy seems likable enough though and even though it mostly is a filler series I kind of like Comic Book Men on AMC and sometimes his podcasts are interesting.
Old 11-04-14, 10:30 AM

Talk about a family affair.

The team behind director Kevin Smith's latest horror outing, Yoga Hosers, has released the first promotional still from the Tusk spinoff, and it doesn't disappoint. Now shooting in Los Angeles, Yoga Hosers stars Johnny Depp as a Quebec police detective who is enlisted by two convenience store clerks — played by Smith's and Depp's daughters, Harley Quinn Smith and Lily-Rose Depp, both 15. (All three actors are reprising their Tusk roles.)

The movie, also written by Smith, centers on two teenage yoga nuts who have an after-school job at a Manitoba convenience store called Eh-2-Zed. When an ancient evil rises from beneath Canada’s crust and threatens their big invitation to a 12th-grade party, the Colleens join forces with a legendary man hunter from Montreal named Guy Lapointe (Depp) to fight for their lives with “all seven chakras, one Warrior Pose at a time," according to the producers.

Smith and Depp have been friends for years, and the same goes for their daughters. "Their onscreen chemistry comes courtesy of a lifelong friendship: Harley and Lily have known each other since first grade," Smith tells THR.

"Acting is a job of making choices, and Harley and Lily were making their own character and delivery choices from day one on the flick," Smith continued. "At one point, I pulled them both aside to ask, 'You are making excellent choices without me saying anything. What adult is telling you to do these things behind my back?' The girls said they'd simply learned to act from watching movies and TV shows their whole lives. But in their case, acting and goofing around is in their blood. And it was thrilling to watch them both take their first steps in what's bound to be a lifelong passion for performance."

StarStream Entertainment is financing and producing Yoga Hosers in association with Invincible Pictures, Abolitta Productions and Smith’s SModcast Pictures. XYZ Films, which handled Tusk, is representing international rights and will update foreign buyers on the movie's progress at the upcoming American Film Market, although a promo reel won't be ready until Berlin's European Film Market in February.

It is a broad commercial movie that could really break out and become a franchise. I know that Kevin, the girls and Johnny all want it to be something more than just a one-off movie," said XYZ co-founder Nate Bolotin.

Yoga Hosers also stars Tusk alums Michael Parks, Justin Long, Haley Joel Osment, Genesis Rodriguez, Ralph Garman and Harley Morenstein. New to the cast are Tony Hale, Natasha Lyonne, Austin Butler, Adam Brody, Tyler Posey and Jason Mewes.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ughters-745898
Old 11-04-14, 11:00 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm sure those lead actresses were found after an exhaustive search and countless auditions.
Old 11-04-14, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm sure those lead actresses were found after an exhaustive search and countless auditions.
16 years in the making.
Old 11-04-14, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

So in this trilogy, Depp is the tie in? He was the thing I liked least about Tusk.
Old 06-12-15, 12:15 PM

Lily-Rose Depp might very well be on the road to joining the rankings of her father, Johnny Depp.

The 16-year-old is starring in Yoga Hosers, a horror-comedy about two yoga-avid girls planning to go a senior party, but who have to face monstrous forces when everything goes wrong.

The film's director, Kevin Smith, tells PEOPLE that Johnny, 52, met his match in working with his daughter. "It was adorable," he says.

"There's a scene in an interrogation room between the two of them and they're actually trying to out act each other and it's really cute," Smith says. "Then Lily busts out some French – because she speaks French really fluently – and just shows him up."

The film, which is a spin-off of Smith's Tusk, is a family affair for the director as well, with Smith's daughter Harley costarring with the Depps. Harley and Lily-Rose, who have known each other since kindergarten, had small roles in Tusk.

"At the end of the day of filming Tusk, Johnny was like 'If we were smart we'd retire and live off these girls,' " Smith says. "I took that rather seriously."

The film's producer, Kim Leadford from StarStream Entertainment, tells PEOPLE both of the girls "crushed it."

"They really rose to the occasion, and I think this will be something that will definitely launch their careers," she says.

Leadford says watching the Depps interact was "mind-blowing."

"They have such a sweet and funny relationship," she says. "They're buddies and they're really sweet with each other."

Depp's wife, Amber Heard, even came to set to surprise Lily with a dog during the holidays while filming.

Among other familiar faces in the film are Lily's mom, Vanessa Paradis, and Justin Long.

Smith says after 21 years of filmmaking, this is the most fun he's ever had.

"The whole movie is a real charm factory," Smith says. "It's just charm city, particularly watching a father and daughter act with each other."
http://www.people.com/article/yoga-h...tter_peoplemag
Old 06-27-15, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Kind of random, but I saw that Smith posted on Facebook that he lost 85 pounds. You can kind of see it in the pic above too. Good for him.

https://www.facebook.com/YesThatKevi...type=1&theater
Old 06-27-15, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Kind of random, but I saw that Smith posted on Facebook that he lost 85 pounds. You can kind of see it in the pic above too. Good for him.

https://www.facebook.com/YesThatKevi...type=1&theater
Maybe he'll stop wearing clothes that are ten sizes too large next.
Old 01-23-16, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts
Re: Yoga Hosers (D: Smith) S: spawn of Smith & Depp - Tusk "sequel"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/mpMpR37LTyQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-24-16, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Old 01-24-16, 05:03 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I liked hearing Wishing Well play in the background, but I wasn't feeling that clip. Will wait and see.
Old 01-24-16, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

That was an incredibly random clip. What's taking Smith so long to complete this movie? Doesn't look like it would take much effort.
Old 01-24-16, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

It looks like it could go either way from that clip. Kind of looks like it's got a bit of a Clerks vibe only with teenage girls and obviously the film is supposed to have horror elements. I might check it out but I'd like to see a trailer.
Old 01-24-16, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
That was an incredibly random clip. What's taking Smith so long to complete this movie? Doesn't look like it would take much effort.
I was thinking the same thing. It took less time to get a Batman v Superman movie.
Old 01-24-16, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good lord that looks terrible.
Old 01-24-16, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jesus. tyra banks called and wants her 5 head back.
Old 01-24-16, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 479 Likes on 315 Posts

Buddy's over-the-top Canadian accent had me laughing throughout the clip.

While I'm pretty sure I'm too old for this movie, I'll give it a chance when it comes out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.