Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Coherence (2014) D: Byrkit -- Sci Fi Thriller

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Coherence (2014) D: Byrkit -- Sci Fi Thriller

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-20, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts
Re: Coherence (2014) D: Byrkit -- Sci Fi Thriller

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Got this last week but haven't watched yet
So I finally watched it.

If you're a fan of sci-fi like Black Mirror then this will be a good watch for you. It's on Hulu now but it is expiring.
Old 01-12-20, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I loved this movie. It's an excellent cook-your-noodle movie like Triangle or Donnie Darko.
Old 01-12-20, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,019 Likes on 629 Posts

I watched this shortly after it came out and like it a lot. Being reminded of it makes me want to watch it again. It looks like it's still on Amazon Prime as well as Hulu.

For those that like these time-bending movies (Predestination, Triangle, and Timecrimes have already been mentioned), there is one on Netflix called Time Trap that I enjoyed a lot. It has some issues--mostly in the acting and the dialogue in the first part of the movie--but it's a cool concept and there were several 'whoa--that's cool' moments in it for me.
Old 01-12-20, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Glad I clicked on this ... it expires on Hulu this Wednesday. Watch it now!

This was really good despite some acting flaws (seemed like early throwaway scenes that were improvised stuck out). I kept picturing a freaky stage adaptation of this as it went along.

I know it will never happen, but I’d love to know how it played out after the end.

EDIT: Coherence is available for free on Vudu and with Amazon Prime. Triangle is also free on both, if I am looking at the right movie. The tag line is “Fear comes in waves.” Is that the one?

Last edited by Abob Teff; 01-12-20 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-12-20, 05:45 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

It's a good movie. Interesting to see director Lorene Scafaria in an acting role.
Old 01-12-20, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
EDIT: Coherence is available for free on Vudu and with Amazon Prime. Triangle is also free on both, if I am looking at the right movie. The tag line is “Fear comes in waves.” Is that the one?
That’s the one. Highly recommended if you enjoyed Coherence.
Old 01-13-20, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It’s been awhile since I watched The Endless, but that is the movie this reminded me of in its mood and atmosphere.

So I’ve been on a movie binge today and watched Triangle. I’ll find it’s thread, but quick take is that Triangle

Spoiler:
reminded me more of Serenity than Coherence. It was ... OK.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 01-13-20 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-13-20, 06:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I watched Coherence a couple of weeks ago. Amazing what they were able to achieve with that one on a $50,000 budget in the director’s own home. I just watched Triangle and I think I may like that one better. It’s a bit more put together and Melissa George is great in it. There’s another film I saw on Amazon Prime called Mine Games that also has a similar vibe. I think the Twilight Zone episode Spur Of the Moment may be the first time I’ve ever seen this idea used before. Oh yeah and In the Tall Grass on Netflix.
Old 01-13-20, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Read the IMDB and Wikipedia pages ... interesting stuff! It was an improvised movie, though carefully pre-crafted by Byrkit and the producer. There was no dialogue script and the actors did not know what was happening.

For the first three days (of the five day shoot), one of the actresses (Lee) thought it was a comedy. Em didn’t know she was the lead until almost the end of shooting.
Old 01-13-20, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I love when this thread gets bumped, not only because it usually means more people have discovered this gem, but I also learn of more films in the genre to check out. So far Mine Games andTime Trap have been mentioned, anything else worth checking out?
Old 01-13-20, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I mentioned it in spoilers above (due to something else I added), but The Endless and Resolution match this very well in tone.

The Endless is currently on Netflix.
Resolution looks to be available on Shudder (I think; I don't have Shudder currently).

Both are available for digital rental and/or purchase on other platforms.

... and on a bonus note, Benson and Moorhead have a new film that premiered at TIFF and made festival rounds this past fall. Synchronic stars Anthony Mackie and Katie Aselton. Doesn't look like it has hit any streaming yet. Possible theatrical release this year.
The following users liked this post:
DeanoBKN (01-13-20)
Old 01-13-20, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 617 Likes on 455 Posts

Saw Coherence a couple of years ago and never realized there was a thread here about it!

In a similar vein, I'd recommend TIME LAPSE (2014), ARQ (2016) and SYNCHRONICITY (2015). None are quite as good as the much-cheaper COHERENCE, and all three are more commercially-slanted, but they show a remarkable commitment to likewise tackling complicated time travel ideas on small budgets, and hold interest until the end. SYNCHRONICITY probably overshoots a bit with all the bargain-store Ridley Scott visuals and CGI but it's central puzzle is a good one.

Last edited by Brian T; 01-13-20 at 12:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DeanoBKN (01-13-20)
Old 01-13-20, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Endless is currently on Netflix.
+1 for The Endless. Loved it. I haven't seen Resolution yet, but I want to.
Old 01-13-20, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I like any movie that challenges the viewer to figure out whats happening. They're fun, almost interactive.
Old 01-13-20, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Can’t have one without the other!

Last edited by Brian T; 01-13-20 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-13-20, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 01-13-20, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
Originally Posted by Brian T
Can’t have one without the other!

That. If you haven’t seen The Endless recently, watch it again before (or after) watching Resolution. Probably after, actually. Or maybe before.
Old 01-13-20, 03:29 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

If you liked Endless and Resolution, try Spring, done by the same people.
Old 01-13-20, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Agreed. Watching Spring is what caused me to seek out The Endless.
Old 01-13-20, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spring was well done also. If I remember right (it’s been awhile), I’d say it is in that “adult fairytale” genre (not this “mind noodle” genre ).
Old 01-13-20, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That. If you haven’t seen The Endless recently, watch it again before (or after) watching Resolution. Probably after, actually. Or maybe before.
Personally I think they're better in order, but if he's seen THE ENDLESS already, it may not matter now. Or maybe it might. Or not. I saw RESOLUTION early on, though it was great, but had no clue about the nature of THE ENDLESS when I finally watched it. It had largely flown under my radar for whatever reason. Didn't even realize it was the same filmmakers! Pathetic, I know. So when the brothers finally stumble across, uhh, that house, it was huge case of WTF deja vu, but with a complete inability to recall what movie I'd obviously seen to in order to "get" what was happening. Had to pause it and consult the IMDb app, but suddenly both movies became even cooler.

I was really hoping SYNCHRONIC -- which I saw at TIFF last September and which still seems to be in distribution limbo -- would suddenly reveal itself to be connected to RESOLUTION and ENDLESS. All it would've taken was a small scene or two, or a salient cameo, or a couple of lines of dialogue to add it to a "universe" of sorts, but no luck. It's not bad, but it's not their best by a long shot.

Agreed on SPRING, as well.
Old 01-13-20, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I loved this movie. The first time was discovered and watched it, it was one of a handful of really good indie sci-fi movies I discovered all around the same time. From what I can remember, the other movies I discovered around the same time were Safety Not Guaranteed, Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel, The Frame, These Final Hours, and The One I Love. I recommend all of those for the Coherence fans in the thread.
Old 01-13-20, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Safety Not Guaranteed was pretty cool. That ending certainly seemed like a blatant calling card for big-budget sci-fi work, which is pretty much what happened.
Old 01-14-20, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK, an actual Coherence question ...

During the dinner party, Mike talks about having been the lead actor on a TV series (Roswell) and Laurie professes to having been a huge fan of the show but not recognizing him or remembering him on the show ... was that actually our first "mismatched" dinner guest? Was she really an alternate Laurie?
Old 01-14-20, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

OK, an actual Coherence question ...

During the dinner party, Mike talks about having been the lead actor on a TV series (Roswell) and Laurie professes to having been a huge fan of the show but not recognizing him or remembering him on the show ... was that actually our first "mismatched" dinner guest? Was she really an alternate Laurie?
That's the way I took it -- that, in hindsight, Laurie was in the wrong house from the beginning, the biggest tell being her not recognizing an actor from her favorite show.

Going a little deeper (unless I'm reading too much into it), I feel like the casting of Nicholas Brendan in that role (Mike) was a very intentional wink to the audience. Brendan was also the star of a TV series, but it was Buffy, not Roswell. Both shows ran concurrently, both began on the WB, and both ended their runs on UPN. The first time it was mentioned that Mike had been an actor on a TV show, I remembered thinking, "I wonder if he's playing himself as the actor from Buffy," but then they revealed he was from Roswell. For awhile I thought I'd confused the two shows. But in a sense it almost plays like we, the audience, are watching a house from a different reality than our own -- one where Brendan starred on Roswell, not Buffy. I think the fact that they made him the star of a real TV show and not a fictional one further drives this point home.

Like I said, I might be reading too much into it. Or maybe the makers of Coherence were really that clever.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr. Flix:
Jay G. (01-19-20), Tom Banjo (01-15-20)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.