Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 5/5/2017) S: Diesel, et al. + Kurt Russell

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 5/5/2017) S: Diesel, et al. + Kurt Russell

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-17, 12:56 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 5/5/2017) S: Diesel, et al. + Kurt Russell

<iframe width="656" height="369" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8guxsR0k_AU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-21-17, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 5/5/2017) S: Diesel, et al. + Kurt Russell

Originally Posted by Deftones
There are 5 mid/post credit scenes. Also reactions to the movie have been trickling out. Most are positive, buy many said it is not as good as the 1st.
I went to the premiere on Wednesday, I felt the same way. Good, fun movie, but the first one was better. Baby Groot has some great scenes.
Old 04-22-17, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

There were no expectations with the first.

I remember a lot of the sentiment going in was wary or downright pessimistic. "This is probably going to be Marvels first flop".
It was also in advance of any new SW movies. A bit of lightning in a bottle there.

I'm fine with just an entertaining diversion but I can fully imagine a sense of disappointment from some people (including myself) when it doesn't seem to initially reach the heights of the first one.
If it's solid though, it may hold up well to repeat viewing at home and maybe even get better when expectations are not in play or even downgraded ("Hey, that was better than I remembered it!?").
Old 04-22-17, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
<iframe width="656" height="369" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8guxsR0k_AU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Warning: SPOILERS!!!!
Old 04-22-17, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Did we ever hear if they're doing another cassette release?

I don't know what Disney Music Emporium is, but they have Awesome Mix vol 1 in stock for $9.

Also The Force Awakens soundtrack on cassette. I might have to get a few of those for gifts. That's awesome.
I knew they put out Awesome Mix Vol. 1 on cassette as a Record Store Day exclusive but didn't know its actually a wide release. That's pretty cool.
Old 04-24-17, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Embargo lifted. Lots of underwhelming reviews popping up. Looks like I'll skip paying extra to see this opening night.
Old 04-24-17, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Embargo lifted. Lots of underwhelming reviews popping up. Looks like I'll skip paying extra to see this opening night.
It's currently 92% on RT with 36 reviews.
Old 04-24-17, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I look at the average rating versus the percentage: 7.5/10
Old 04-24-17, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Jeremy Jahns said it was just ok. He usually loves most superhero movies
Old 04-24-17, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Down to 86%, 7.2/10
Old 04-24-17, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

from the Dark Horizons review:

It’s a film about fathers and sons in which the use of Cat Stevens’ “Father and Son” is one of its more restrained moves – that’s how overly earnest it is.

At worst it’s a misguided misfire, a heavy-handed Pixar film squeezed into a lesser pre-reboot “Star Trek” film where the labored metaphors are too often made manifest. The great visual style and cast chemistry remains intact, but too much of their energy is used to shore up fundamental structural flaws that can and should have been caught sooner.

Pixar films at least rely on a brains trust of creatives to objectively look at a project – meaning every line and emotional beat in the final script is one that had to be fought for and justified. The film has to work not just for the overly emotional, but also for the most jaded cynic in the room as well. This feels like it has had no such vetting, and that lack of oversight at a script level yields a more overworked and uneven result which feels oddly devoid of the natural life, confidence, and energy that coursed through the first’s veins.
one person's opinion, but those are the kinds of things that would bug me too in an otherwise entertaining film.
His ultimate take is because of those issues, it ends up feeling more like a middle of the road affair.
Old 04-24-17, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The reviews don't see mall that "underwhelming" to me. Maybe for those who so se them that way, this quote might be fitting:

The cliched "difficult second album". Sure, the first one will always be your favourite, but you know you'll grow to love this one almost as much.
People who expected marvel to capture the same magic as the first movie are deluding themselves. As has been pointed out, NO ONE expected the first movie to be as awesome as it was. It took us all by complete surprise.

It is only natural to find the second movie to be a bit of a letdown, if only because we now know the characters and their universe. But, if you manage to keep your expectations in check, you will most likely be pleasantly surprised.

I am looking at it like Rogue One. One of my friends was profoundly disappointed by that movie after his first viewing. I couldn't even talk him into going back to see it again (which is not typically a problem). Yet, after buying the Blu-ray, and watching it a second (and third, and fourth) time, it is now one his favorite SW movies.
Old 04-24-17, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
People who expected marvel to capture the same magic as the first movie are deluding themselves. As has been pointed out, NO ONE expected the first movie to be as awesome as it was. It took us all by complete surprise.
I think if you've been watching movies for a good amount of time, you should know about the sequel curse. I'm nowhere near expecting Vol 2 to be better than the original. I just expecting having fun with some characters I've come to know and love. This is coming from someone who paid to see it in a theater six times and pre-ordered the blu-ray.
Old 04-24-17, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I think if you've been watching movies for a good amount of time, you should know about the sequel curse. I'm nowhere near expecting Vol 2 to be better than the original. I just expecting having fun with some characters I've come to know and love. This is coming from someone who paid to see it in a theater six times and pre-ordered the blu-ray.
I agree. My point was that claiming that there are "Lots of underwhelming reviews" demonstrates an unrealistically high set of expectations for the movie. I read the same reviews, and didn't find them all that "underwhelming".
Old 04-24-17, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"overly earnest"
"heavy-handed"
"labored metaphors"
"overworked"

This will be in the eye of the beholder, but I personally have a low tolerance for maudlin sentimentality (which is one reason, among many, I loathe Return Of The Jedi). But these are specific criticisms rather than "it just wasn't fresh this time" or "I was underwhelmed".
Old 04-24-17, 02:21 PM

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,139 Posts

I could see how reviews feel "underwhelming" when there's been a real hope that they could somehow top the first one. If we'd had a slew of reviews that started with, "Yes, true believers, it's even better than the first one!" we'd be doing cartwheels. Instead, we'll have reality: a fun movie that will grow on us.

Certainly, I barely knew anything about the first (saw a trailer or two) and found a way to convince my spouse to join me in the theater and we were both pleasantly surprised by how much we loved it. This time around, I just want a movie I can enjoy and my kids will like.
Old 04-24-17, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
The reviews don't see mall that "underwhelming" to me. Maybe for those who so se them that way, this quote might be fitting:

It is only natural to find the second movie to be a bit of a letdown, if only because we now know the characters and their universe. But, if you manage to keep your expectations in check, you will most likely be pleasantly surprised.

I am looking at it like Rogue One. One of my friends was profoundly disappointed by that movie after his first viewing. I couldn't even talk him into going back to see it again (which is not typically a problem). Yet, after buying the Blu-ray, and watching it a second (and third, and fourth) time, it is now one his favorite SW movies.
I don't get that, I don't think I have ever gone from disliking a movie to loving it on repeat viewings.
Old 04-24-17, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
I don't get that, I don't think I have ever gone from disliking a movie to loving it on repeat viewings.
I hated Terry Gilliam's "Brazil" the first time I saw it on cable in the 1980s. I thought it was an ugly, unfocused, mean-spirited, and mostly boring movie. OK, it had a great visual style, but the rest of the movie was pure shit.

I saw it again in the early 90s and while I didn't exactly love it, I begrudgingly admitted it was loads better than I originally thought.

I saw it again in 1995 and *LOVED* it. It clicked perfectly from start to finish. And it became my favorite movie of all time. Still is. I even shelled out $150 in 1996 for the Criterion Laserdisc box set, which I could barely afford at the time, and I STILL have it, even if I don't have a laserdisc player anymore, and Criterion came out with a DVD set with the exact same feature set 3 years later (and at a third of the price).
Old 04-24-17, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

28 Days Later... for me, I was so amazingly bored by it the first time I tried to watch it. But it clicked later.
Old 04-24-17, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't Look Now and Picnic At Hanging Rock for me.

But it took over ten years distance to revisit both. I don't think I've ever had that radical a shift in my opinion in only a few months.
Old 04-24-17, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I've actually grown to like Age of Ultron a bit more on repeat viewings. Looks like the only MCU movie to have sequels more revered than the original is Captain America.
Old 04-24-17, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

86% now on RT. I'm seeing this regardless (especially since I'm going for free at a work event) but the reviews don't seem too underwhelming to me. It still seems like one of the stronger MCU entries.
Old 04-24-17, 09:26 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

Can't wait. 5/8 is when I can see it. Reviews be damned!
Old 04-24-17, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

i already got tix for thursday opening night. even if it isn't as good as the 1st, i imagine it will still be in the upper tier of marvel movies.
Old 04-25-17, 02:53 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Director James Gunn's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 begins rolling out overseas on Tuesday, more than a week ahead of its debut in North America, where it kicks off the summer box office on May 5.

Tracking suggests the quirky superhero tentpole, from Disney and Marvel Studios, could approach or top $100 million from its first 58 foreign territories. Major markets include Australia, France, Germany, Brazil, the U.K. and Mexico.

When comparing previous Marvel debuts in the same suite of markets at today's exchange rates, 2013's Iron Man 3 debuted to $141.4 million, followed by $85.4 million for 2013's Thor: The Dark World and $64.6 million for the first Guardians of the Galaxy (2014).

In North America, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is tracking to open in the $130 million-$150 million range, well ahead of the first film's $94.7 million launch in early August 2014. The movie was a surprise hit and went on to earn $733 million globally, a rousing number considering it featured a rag-tag group of lesser-known superheroes.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 will open in raft of other major territories next week, including North Korea (May 3), Russia (May 4) and China (May 5).
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ebook_20170425

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.