DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Nightcrawler -- D: Gilroy S: Gyllenhaal, Paxton, Russo -- 10/17/14 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/621370-nightcrawler-d-gilroy-s-gyllenhaal-paxton-russo-10-17-14-a.html)

Osiris3657 07-24-14 08:27 AM

Nightcrawler -- D: Gilroy S: Gyllenhaal, Paxton, Russo -- 10/17/14

Director: Dan Gilroy
Writer: Dan Gilroy
Cast:
Jake Gyllenhaal
Bill Paxton
Renee Russo

Synopsis: A young man stumbles upon the underground world of L.A. freelance crime journalism.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/w0euFxD7zHc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DaveyJoe 07-24-14 09:01 AM

Re: Nightcrawler -- D: Gilroy S: Gyllenhaal, Paxton, Russo -- 10/17/14

Alan Cumming is not returning?

Osiris3657 07-24-14 09:06 AM

knew an X-Men reference would be the first reply :lol:

devilshalo 07-24-14 11:38 AM

So this is the prequel to Zodiac?

inri222 07-24-14 12:39 PM

Thank god this is not another superhero thread. :D
Which means it will sink to the bottom soon. :(

rexinnih 07-24-14 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by inri222 (Post 12178387)
Thank god this is not another superhero thread. :D
Which means it will sink to the bottom soon. :(

"Bamf" and it's gone.........

Sonic 07-24-14 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 12178132)

Synopsis: A young man stumbles upon the underground world of L.A. freelance crime journalism.

No teleportation = no sale

Brack 07-24-14 04:19 PM

Not the greatest trailer, but looks interesting enough for a rental at this point.

Yavin 09-06-14 11:52 AM

A snippet from my spoiler-free capsule review from the Toronto International Film Festival:

The film bears some resonance as a commentary on sensationalism in the media, but as a disturbing character study it's truly haunting. Exhibiting a perpetual wide-eyed intensity, Gyllenhaal (who lost twenty pounds for the role) courts no sympathy from audiences, bringing shades of Christian Bale's titular American Psycho to his darkly satirical portrayal of a sociopath in relentless pursuit of his own twisted version of the American dream. We may have seen glimpses of Gyllenhaal's dark side in his previous films, but this is the actor as you've never seen him before.
4 out of 5.

Cardiac161 10-29-14 01:57 PM

Watching this on Saturday.

Red Band trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uaYhPpV7G4

Solid Snake 10-29-14 02:09 PM

I want to see this but I dunno if I'll be in the mood for it. I'm hoping Horns comes out in my area.

Why So Blu? 10-29-14 02:25 PM

A friend of mine saw it and he said that I would love it and that it would be an awesome double-header with Drive.

Osiris3657 10-30-14 10:29 PM

Saw this tonight, loved it! Lou Bloom (Gyllenhaal) is a twisted sociopath who I'll remember for some time. This movie is funny, dark, and demented. Gyllenhaal killed it. Loved the scenes/conversations with Nina (Russo) at dinner and with his employee Rick before the final big event of the movie.

Speaking of that big event, the car chase was thrilling and intense.

Loved the cinematography too, beautifully shot movie. Great dialogue, Gilroy was channeling Aaron Sorkin.

One of my favorites of the year and likely to stay in my top 5 of 2014.

RichC2 10-31-14 08:23 AM

This has a 96% so far with 104 reviews and a 8.3/10 average on rottentomatoes

dex14 10-31-14 08:28 AM

Seeing this tonight. Really looking forward to it.

Troy Stiffler 10-31-14 11:29 AM

Another one that I wasn't expecting to be well received. Last week was John Wick.

It's a must see. Will check it out tomorrow.

CaptainMarvel 10-31-14 10:27 PM

I think this is topping my list for the year. What a fantastic movie.

Gyllenhaal was riveting here, as a totally convincing sociopath.

Perkinsun Dzees 11-01-14 01:48 AM

Interesting movie with a great turn by Gyllenhaal as the bug-eyed protagonist and Russo as a desperate TV news director. The scene between him and her at the Mexican restaurant was creepy.-eek- Talk about a codependent relationship between two sociopaths!

Still, I almost felt like I had seen a similar story to this before.

Spoiler:
Has there ever been a movie before in which a sociopathic lead character manipulated those around her (er, I mean him) and used the opportunistic and sensationalistic media to get what she (er, I mean he) wanted, and even ended up getting away with the murder of someone who trusted her (er, I mean him) and came out smelling like roses at the end, even outwitting the snappy female detective who knew she (er, I mean he) was guilty of a crime but couldn't do anything about it.

I could swear there was a movie like this once, but it doesn't come to mind. Prolly some obscure flick that nobody's ever heard of.

Anyway, for what it's worth, I enjoyed this movie more than Gone Girl.

Patman 11-01-14 02:31 PM

Louis Bloom (Jake Gyllenhaal), a self-informed hustler of sorts with odd social skills, stumbles upon chasing the "if it bleeds, it leads" TV news footage industry in L.A. to make a living. As its central character, Louis is quite an audacious entity, I found myself both laughing and cringing at some of his interchanges with the other characters in the film, but at the core of it all, the film does hook you in, and makes you wonder what are Louis's limits in going after new footage, and it's not a tidy enterprise, to say the least.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

Dr. DVD 11-01-14 06:56 PM

^ Dude, write like your talking with us, not at us.

Troy Stiffler 11-01-14 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 12288875)
^ Dude, write like your talking with us, not at us.

Good flick bro! It's a B!

Mike86 11-02-14 12:45 AM

Saw it tonight and thought it was just okay. The cast was good and especially Gyllenhaal played a very creepy sociopath but I dunno something about the film just didn't quite work for me. It felt a bit on the long side and I was ready for it to be over. I will say that car chase sequence was really well done though.

Dr. DVD 11-02-14 09:16 AM

Going this afternoon. This movie seems like it would be a good companion piece to Drive.

Mike86 11-02-14 10:24 AM

I didn't like Drive much either but I guess I don't really get the comparisons.

Daytripper 11-02-14 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 12289129)
Saw it tonight and thought it was just okay. The cast was good and especially Gyllenhaal played a very creepy sociopath but I dunno something about the film just didn't quite work for me. It felt a bit on the long side and I was ready for it to be over. I will say that car chase sequence was really well done though.

I agree with everything you say here. Although I think I might have liked it a little more than you. Gyllenhaal was riveting. He better get an Oscar nomination for this. Hell, even Russo for Supporting Actress. So glad to see her working still.