Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Doctor Strange (2016, D: Derrickson) S: Cumberbatch

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Doctor Strange (2016, D: Derrickson) S: Cumberbatch

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-15, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Doctor Strange (2016, D: Derrickson) S: Cumberbatch

That is not how I expected Tilda Swinton to look in this movie.
Old 07-25-15, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

No, it's the real mccoy.
Old 07-26-15, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Some of the nerds are upset that Tilda has been cast as The Ancient One, because that character is supposed to be an old Asian guy.
Old 08-07-15, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

http://io9.com/a-live-action-x-men-t...rks-1722609322

Director of Photography Ben Davis teases the crazy aesthetic of the film:

It has a very psychedelic grounding, and it’s not your typical Marvel action movie … Most of the work within it is about other dimensions. And I described it, I think, when I was talking to Marvel, as Marvel’s Fantasia, in a way, because it’s so sort of out there and different to everything else that they’ve done.

It’s a very dark movie, I’m pleased to say … DPs always love the word ‘dark’. The trouble is that most producers don’t like dark. Mostly you get into DI [Digital Intermediate process] and people don’t seem to like dark anymore!

There’s a lot of pre-visualisation, and there’s a lot of work which is very hard – you look at it and you see the imagery that they’ve created for it and you think, ‘Well how the hell do we shoot that!?’ because it’s all sort of Escher stuff. It’s all very out there. I can’t really say much more about it, I’m afraid. But I think it’ll be really interesting.
Old 08-07-15, 02:39 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I'd fuck the hell out of Tilda Swinton.
Old 08-08-15, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Yes it's sarcasm.
I see age and sexual identity/viability as a bell curve situation.
At the extreme ends there is a sexlessness there, apart from the anatomical distinctions. If she is truly "ancient" then to me that means the character should appear to be sexually/gender-wise indistinct.

I have absolutely no problem if they go that route. Not only that, but I think it would be kind of cool to add some eerie, confusion around the edges like that. Though I can also understand people being upset that they didn't bother going with specifically an Asian woman.
I think she'll be fine portraying a sort of gender neutral character. She was kind of like that in Constantine when she portrayed Gabriel:

Old 08-08-15, 10:24 AM
Banned

Gabriel was my introduction to Tilda Swinton. Hell of an introduction to her and her work. Been a fan of hers since I saw Constantine in theaters.
Old 08-08-15, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Gabriel was my introduction to Tilda Swinton. Hell of an introduction to her and her work. Been a fan of hers since I saw Constantine in theaters.

Me too.
Old 08-27-15, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

‘Doctor Strange’ Eyes ‘Hannibal’ Star Mads Mikkelsen to Play Villain (EXCLUSIVE)
August 27, 2015 | 12:10PM PT
Justin Kroll
Film Reporter @krolljvar

“Hannibal” star Mads Mikkelsen is in early talks to play one of the villains in Marvel’s “Doctor Strange” opposite Benedict Cumberbatch, Variety has learned exclusively. While sources say no offer has been delivered, one is expected shortly. Marvel had no comment on Mikkelsen’s involvement.

Tilda Swinton and Chiwetel Ejiofor are on board to co-star. Scott Derrickson is directing the comic book movie from a script by Jon Spaihts. Marvel’s Kevin Feige will produce.

Cumberbatch will play Stephen Vincent Strange, a former neurosurgeon who becomes the next Sorcerer Supreme and primary protector of Earth against magical and mystical threats. Marvel Comics artist Steve Ditko created the character in 1963. Swinton will play Strange’s mentor, the Ancient One, while Ejiofor will appear as Baron Mordo, who also studies magic under the Ancient One in the comic books, before becoming Doctor Strange’s nemesis.

Mikkelsen’s exact role remains under wraps, but sources say he will be another antagonist to Cumberbatch’s titular sorcerer.

“Doctor Strange” will debut on Nov. 4, 2016, with production set to start late this year.

Marvel has been interested in Mikkelsen for some time, at one point courting him for the villainous Malekith in “Thor: The Dark World,” until Mikkelsen won the role of the titular cannibal in NBC’s “Hannibal” and was no longer available. The Malekith role eventually went to Christopher Eccleston.

If accepted, this would be Mikkelsen’s second high-profile role in the wake of “Hannibal’s” cancellation — he’ll also appear in “Star Wars: Rogue One,” which will hit theaters on December 16, 2016. He is repped by UTA and Art Management.
Dormammu?
Old 08-27-15, 03:03 PM
Banned

YES. He'd be awesome as Dormammu. He's just awesome in pretty much anything.. if not all of it.
Old 08-28-15, 10:43 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doctor Strange is a Marvel character I know next to nothing about.
Old 08-28-15, 12:01 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

YES. He'd be awesome as Dormammu. He's just awesome in pretty much anything.. if not all of it.
agreed. i am looking forward to The Salvation...
Old 09-14-15, 12:10 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Rachel McAdams will star in Marvel’s “Doctor Strange” opposite Benedict Cumberbatch, the actress told TheWrap Monday.

Cumberbatch is set to star as Dr. Stephen Strange alongside Tilda Swinton as the Ancient One and Chiwetel Ejiofor as Baron Mordo. “Hannibal” star Mads Mikkelsen is being courted for a villainous role.

Scott Derrickson is directing the comic book movie, which is slated to start shooting in November. Disney will release the film on Nov. 4, 2016.

McAdams’ involvement has been rumored for weeks, and the actress has not been shy about confirming she had discussions with Marvel as early as July.

In August at Disney’s D23 fan convention, Marvel boss Kevin Feige said that “Doctor Strange” will “continue to push the boundaries of [Marvel’s] cinematic universe” following “Guardians of the Galaxy” and “Ant-Man.” Feige didn’t have footage to show for “Doctor Strange,” which doesn’t start shooting until November, but he brought a video of concept art from the film as well as a videotaped message from Cumberbatch, who apologized for being unable to attend D23.

- See more at: http://www.thewrap.com/rachel-mcadam....jOfpGEYY.dpuf
Old 09-14-15, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

As Clea?
Old 09-14-15, 12:22 PM
Banned

Again... I'm guessing.. Clea? Strange doesn't really have much of a female cast.

I'm wondering if they'll bring in Wong. That'll be interesting how they handle that if they do bring him in. Wong has wildly progressed though. The guy is pretty cool at times. I think Strange regards him of an equal in some sorts.
Old 09-14-15, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Mads would be great as Mephisto as well. That character could help open up a lot of other genres for Marvel as well.
Old 09-14-15, 12:40 PM
Banned

I'd much prefer Mephisto being in the Infinity War flicks than Loki. I fear Loki may play the mephisto role. I love Hiddleston w/ what he's done w/ it but... Marvel uses him like a goddamn crutch.
Old 09-14-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd much prefer Mephisto being in the Infinity War flicks than Loki. I fear Loki may play the mephisto role. I love Hiddleston w/ what he's done w/ it but... Marvel uses him like a goddamn crutch.
You keep saying that about Loki, but I don't think they rely on him as much as you make it sound.
Old 09-14-15, 01:57 PM
Banned

All together at the end of it all to where what we presently know? Thor 1, The Avengers, Thor 2, Thor 3, and eventually (1 or 2 of) the Infinity War flicks. That's a lot of using that baddie.
Old 09-14-15, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Especially considering how they treat other villains. Loki gets more screen time than some of the Avengers.
Old 09-14-15, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is it confirmed that Mads is playing Mephisto?
Old 09-14-15, 02:48 PM
Banned

No. We mentioned him to maybe be Dormammu if he was the other Baddie in Strange's film cuz... Dormammu is another big baddie for Strange... that has a human shape to it.

james2025a just mentioned that Mads would be a good Mephisto too. Which I could roll with too.

I'd go nuts if we saw Shuma Gorath in a movie though. Damn those Capcom games for brining him to my attention a long time ago. Crazy cool character. That character is just insane. Visually? He'd be awesome to see Strange fight. Just... the scale and visual insanity that would bring.
Old 10-01-15, 12:01 PM
Banned

via IGN:

Doctor Strange is gearing up for production to begin in November, but there is still much that is unknown about the new Marvel standalone movie.

I had a chance to speak with Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige prior to an event promoting the release of Avengers: Age of Ultron on Blu-ray (a Q&A after it revealed great new information on Spider-Man, Infinity War and the connections between the movies and TV shows). During our interview, he opened up about why Doctor Strange is going to be an origin story.

"For some reason people sometimes talked about how we're not doing an origin story, we're bored of origin stories. I think people are bored of origin stories they've seen before or origin stories that are overly familiar," Feige explained. "Doctor Strange has one of the best, most classic, most unique origin stories of any hero we have, so why wouldn't we do that? That was sort of always the plan. How you tell that origin, perhaps there are ways to twist it or play with that, but for the most part, it's a gift when the comics have something with such clarity of story and of character. That doesn't always happen in the comics, and when it does, you use it."

Because Doctor Strange is going to be dealing heavily with concepts only touched upon in other Marvel movies -- like the Quantum Realm, which was introduced in Ant-Man -- I asked Feige which character will serve as the eyes of the audience to introduce them to this film's new world. "Strange, for sure," he said. When prompted about what purpose Rachel McAdams' unspecified character will serve, Feige noted that she's the audience's eyes "to a certain extent."

"She plays a very, very big part in the movie and represents a certain point of view of the worlds that we experience in that movie, but Doctor Strange, without a doubt, is the character we follow through the movie," said Feige.

Talk also turned to the gender of the Ancient One, considering in July Tilda Swinton said she didn't know whether she would play the character as a man or a woman. (The concept art Disney showed at D23 seemed to depict her as female, though the Ancient One is male in the Marvel Comics.)

Casting Swinton for the part, Feige said, meant "we get an amazing actress to play an amazing character, and do it in a way that's very unique and doesn't fall into any outdated stereotypes that sometimes pop up in the comics from years past. It's funny you ask 'Will Tilda Swinton be playing a woman?' and you ask it because she does an amazing job of being sort of ambiguous in terms of gender. I think you'll see us playing it in ways that she's played other characters that way. Clearly she's a woman, but it is very ambiguous in her portrayal."

Doctor Strange is due in theaters on November 4, 2016.
Old 10-01-15, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not knowing much about Strange, i'd be happy to see his origin.
Old 10-01-15, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The origins of certain characters like Batman, Superman, and Spidey are so well known that they don't need to be retold again.

A character like Dr Strange, though, isn't part of pop culture AND has an origin story that would make an intereting film.

At any rate, I'll go out on a limb and say that it's 99.9% likely that we'll get a new Infinity Stone introduced in Dr Strange.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.