Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sicario (2015) D: Villeneuve S: Blunt, Del Toro

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sicario (2015) D: Villeneuve S: Blunt, Del Toro

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-15, 04:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Sicario (2015) D: Villeneuve S: Blunt, Del Toro

I'll take your word for it.
Old 10-08-15, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Oscar #2 for del Toro seems in play and maybe finally one for Roger Deakins.
I would hope one for best director.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Yeah. Like a K.
Just like cabron.

Last edited by inri222; 10-08-15 at 07:05 PM.
Old 10-08-15, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
I would hope one for best director.

Just like cabron.

Old 10-11-15, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Lots of fascinating storytelling in this one. Plenty of stuff I never saw or thought about before.

It only touches on the operations between the US government and cartels. It's a movie that doesn't waste a scene, and tries to sum everything up in two hours. I could have watched a 10 hour version. The level of shit the cartels do would really write a 10 hour movie itself.

The story starts in Chandler AZ (where I live). Had to giggle a little that something so grisly would happen out here in the suburbs. I know it's potentially around. But 90% of Chandler is typical suburbs. 10% is pre-1990 suburbs. Looks like it was actually shot in Albuquerque.
Old 10-12-15, 11:25 AM
Cool New Member

this movie gets a B from me..... for BADASS!

j/k it's a easy A. really good movie, my favorite this year.
Old 10-12-15, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by sye46
j/k it's a easy A.
For ASSKICKING!
Old 10-12-15, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When Alejandro said something like, 'Until 20% of Americans stop snorting and smoking this shit, this is how it is', I wanted to stand up and clap.

So pot is on its way to being completely legal. That's going to hurt the cartels a little (I'm sure they're preparing for the adjustment already). Cocaine, heroin, meth, etc. will never be legal. We could talk about largely defunding the war on drugs. But that's not going to stop the brutality and chaos shown in Sicario.

It should play on the conscious of every drug user - the kind of industry and dealings they're funding. The message will never reach everyone. But it could reach the more affluent and self-aware, and help them make a conscionable decision and help them frame drug use in a different way. Sort of like people who are now more aware and careful where they buy their diamond rings. I haven't seen an anti-drug angle of depicting cartel violence and how heroin gets shit out into a toilet before you buy it from your dealer.
Old 10-12-15, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Watching The Wire taught me more about the War on Drugs than I ever learned in school. I kid you not.
Old 10-12-15, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
When Alejandro said something like, 'Until 20% of Americans stop snorting and smoking this shit, this is how it is', I wanted to stand up and clap.

So pot is on its way to being completely legal. That's going to hurt the cartels a little (I'm sure they're preparing for the adjustment already). Cocaine, heroin, meth, etc. will never be legal. We could talk about largely defunding the war on drugs. But that's not going to stop the brutality and chaos shown in Sicario.

It should play on the conscious of every drug user - the kind of industry and dealings they're funding. The message will never reach everyone. But it could reach the more affluent and self-aware, and help them make a conscionable decision and help them frame drug use in a different way. Sort of like people who are now more aware and careful where they buy their diamond rings. I haven't seen an anti-drug angle of depicting cartel violence and how heroin gets shit out into a toilet before you buy it from your dealer.

Or folks can just watch Traffic.
Old 10-13-15, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

The mayor of Ciudad Juarez is upset about the movie's portrayal of his town as a vicious, murderous hellhole:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/12/wo...ark-times.html

As if the town was never like that.
Old 10-13-15, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Contains mild spoilers :

Denis Villeneuve Talks Sicario
On his cartel thriller and the upcoming Blade Runner sequel

http://www.empireonline.com/intervie...w.asp?IID=2074
Old 10-13-15, 09:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum

As if the town was never like that.
It's not like that now, no. His complaints are actually founded. If you've never actually lived there then just stop now before you start typing.
Old 10-13-15, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

According to this NPR article, it sounds like the cartels have recently (and purposely) diverted focus from Juarez.

The article also makes it appear that Sicario's depiction of violence is Juarez is a few years behind the times (murder went from 3000 in 2010 to 400 last year).

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallel...turn-to-juarez

In downtown Juarez, Mexico, just across the border from El Paso, Texas, Nelson Armeto and his brothers run a seafood restaurant called Pisces. Like other businesses owners in Juarez, they met with trouble beginning in 2008, when the drug cartels began demanding a monthly extortion fee.

"We received calls telling us we had to pay a quota, otherwise we'd get the business burned down, or a car passing by would be shooting up the place," he says. "They even threatened kidnapping us and even sometimes killing the employees."

With narcotraficante threats day and night, most people just stopped going out in Juarez.

"The fear, the terror, not a soul on the streets," recalls longtime Pisces patron Velia Contreras.

The city has suffered decades of violence, as hundreds of women working in factories there were murdered in the 1990s. Then came violent turf wars between drug cartels.

At the height of the violence in 2010, the official toll in Juarez was more than 3,000 killings. Many restaurants and clubs closed down or moved across the border to El Paso. The once-thriving nightlife ground to a halt.

But now, people are once again partying in Juarez.

After a few years of fear, Armeto says, he and his friends became numb to the violence. [This is clearly depicted in Sicario.] They decided to start going out on the town like they used to.

"YOLO," he says. "You only live once. It's kind of a religion where you go out and each day you live most you can, so if you don't have a memory that day, it's a wasted day."

"So let's go," I tell him.

This is something I definitely wouldn't have done a few years ago. But with the official death toll down to 434 last year, it seems safer.

With Armeto and his party posse, we head out to Avenida Juarez, just blocks from the border crossing. It's now dotted with bars and clubs — some new, others newly reopened. The oldest and most famous, the Kentucky Club, lost business but managed to stay open.

This is the bar where Marilyn Monroe is said to have famously ordered a round for everyone to celebrate her divorce from Arthur Miller. Frank Sinatra used to party here. So did a lot of famous Mexican movie stars and boxers.

Now that Juarez is once again a party town, I bump into Juan Fernandez, a member of Colectivo Wagon, an artist collective.

"I don't know if the city's less or more violent," he says. "But what I do know is I'm not afraid anymore. Not afraid of being here, of walking to my house. Probably two or three years ago, it was different."

No one can say for sure why violence diminished. There are lots of theories: One cartel gained control. The local police became militarized. The violence just moved on to a different part of Mexico.

Next, we head to Tres Mentiras, on another avenue that is once again alive at night. Live bands can only play traditional, brass-based banda music. It's now illegal in the state of Chihuahua for narcocorrido — or drug ballad — bands to go onstage with AK-47s, singing about the exploits of the drug lords.

On our way out, we pass a tough-looking private security guard with an automatic rifle, something you see a lot in Juarez. That may be another reason people feel safer going out, though all the weaponry is unnerving.

Before the night is over, we hit up four more clubs playing electronica and hip hop. We see teenagers from El Paso, college students from all over the world, and many, like Nelson Armeto and his friends, who just want to party like it's 2007.

But Armeto says they do have one fear: getting stopped by the police.

Police bribes — the mordida — is a tradition that began long before the narco wars.

"They are looking for every minor infraction. I mean, they are going to try to bribe us," he says. "Every time we go out, that's the No. 1 concern we have."
Old 10-13-15, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by EctoCooler
It's not like that now, no. His complaints are actually founded. If you've never actually lived there then just stop now before you start typing.
No, I'm not going to stop typing just because I never lived there. When does the movie take place? If it takes place during the long period when the town WAS like that, then no, his complaints are wrong. If the movie explicitly states that it's taking place NOW, then his complaints are valid. Can anyone who actually, y'know, SAW the movie clarify this for us? Thanks.

I know what New York City was like during the 1970s and 80s. If someone makes a film set in that period and shows the city to be as crime- and blight-ridden as it was back then, I won't complain. But if someone makes a film set during the Giuliani or Bloomberg administrations and shows the city that way, I'll complain. That was the problem I had with Scorsese's BRINGING OUT THE DEAD. It showed a gentrified area looking the way it did during TAXI DRIVER 23 years earlier. It's not the view of the city I cared about, but the historical inaccuracy. Now, of course, under De Blasio, the city's starting to once again feel like NYC in the TAXI DRIVER era.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 10-13-15 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-13-15, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Can anyone who actually, y'know, SAW the movie clarify this for us? Thanks.
I don't think they stated any dates. But it felt like "now".

Like I said above - if the cartels have diverted attention from Juarez, I think Sicario's display of violence in Juarez is a few years behind the times. But we're talking a few years. Production could have been underway during the shift. This isn't South Park.

I find it interesting that there was a sudden end. Going from 3000 to 400 murders shows that the cartels could align and stop this in a very short time.
Old 10-13-15, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I know what New York City was like during the 1970s and 80s. If someone makes a film set in that period and shows the city to be as crime- and blight-ridden as it was back then, I won't complain. But if someone makes a film set during the Giuliani or Bloomberg administrations and shows the city that way, I'll complain. That was the problem I had with Scorsese's BRINGING OUT THE DEAD. It showed a gentrified area looking the way it did during TAXI DRIVER 23 years earlier.
Although the film was released in 1999 when Giuliani was already in his second term, Bringing Out the Dead is supposed to take place in early 90's pre-Giuliani Hell's Kitchen.

Last edited by inri222; 10-13-15 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-13-15, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Yeah, Manhattan in the 2000s is essentially an island sized Disney World with little pockets of personality every here and there.
Old 10-13-15, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/12/wo...imes.html?_r=0

In an email, Denis Villeneuve, the movie’s director, said the film was conceived in 2010 at the height of Juárez’s troubles.

“We didn’t have the intention to harm the citizens of Juárez with our movie,” Mr. Villeneuve said. “The people who are fighting for peace deserve our respect.”
Old 10-16-15, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

The tension in this movie is crazy
Old 10-19-15, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

It is.....and i love that tension. VERY few movies do that these days to me.
Old 10-19-15, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
It is.....and i love that tension. VERY few movies do that these days to me.
The Gift did a great job of building tension, but I loved Sicario even more. It's my favorite of the year. Just extremely well crafted. The border crossing scene is one of the most tense parts, and it was built up well by creating such a level of authenticity. I felt like I was going on a real raid into a dark world. Also, major props to the music. It's subtle, droning, but very effective. It's been a long time since music or a soundtrack really sucked me into the movie.

Del Toro gets a lot of well deserved praise, but I was also really impressed with Josh Brolin. He is just such a natural and so believable in this role.

Plotwise, the movie shares a lot in common with Training Day which is one of my favorites. The whole being a wolf to catch a wolf concept.
Old 10-23-15, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Why 'Sicario' is the masterpiece that it is

Warning : MAJOR SPOILERS!

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/10/...xternal,manual
Old 10-23-15, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I stopped reading that article very quickly. First of all he saw the trailer and expected an all out action movie (and was hoping to recommend it as such upon leaving). I never got this vibe at all from the trailers. Secondly, he walked out underwhelmed and only later realized how good it was. This shows how little taste he has. This film blew me away and anyone that has an ounce of film knowledge or appreciation will see its brilliance first time out. And lastly, this guy was underwhelmed by Fury Road when he first saw it? Yep. He's a moron.
Old 10-23-15, 07:39 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. The trailers didn't give a hint that this was some action prominent type of film. Unless he saw TV ads or something. I can see how they might market it like that on TV.
Old 10-23-15, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I've gotten the sense that he marketing has been playing it up as an action flick, but most of the reviews I'm reading say it actually isn't, it's an intelligent and multilayered drama.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.