Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Noah (Aronofsky, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Noah (Aronofsky, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
0%
3.45%
31.03%
13.79%
13.79%
13.79%
10.34%
3.45%
3.45%
3.45%
0%
Ah...No!
3.45%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Noah (Aronofsky, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-14, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Noah (Aronofsky, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Would Noah be receiving the same praise if the film had stuck to the Biblical account and maintained a spiritual message? I'm willing to enjoy the movie as an action adventure flick, but I find it offensive that they tried to promote it as a Christian movie.

One lousy trick in the trailer is where Noah stands up to the bad guy, and says "I'm not alone". Wow, that's powerful, God is on his side. But in the movie, Noah is actually talking about the Watchers/Demons. They are portrayed as sympathetic creatures.
Or he was simply saying he had Hermione on his side.
Old 03-28-14, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
One lousy trick in the trailer is where Noah stands up to the bad guy, and says "I'm not alone". Wow, that's powerful, God is on his side. But in the movie, Noah is actually talking about the Watchers/Demons. They are portrayed as sympathetic creatures.
Also, you know, he believes The Creator is on his side.

Watchers aren't demons either.
Old 03-28-14, 04:51 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

If you think about it, the Twilight Saga is a Christian film masquerading as a Vampire vs Werewolf soap opera.
Old 03-28-14, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
If you think about it, the Twilight Saga is a Christian film masquerading as a Vampire vs Werewolf soap opera.
Mormon to be more specific.
Old 03-28-14, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
Mormon to be more specific.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to be even more specific.
Old 03-28-14, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Saw it. I really liked it. Anyone else notice that they have gone out of their way to keep the "watchers" a secret? I thought they were pretty cool. I am a Christian only in the sense that I worship God and Jesus and do believe in the story of Jesus Christ. However, I also realize that Aronofsky is not a believer and to him much of the Bible, quite understandably, would seem like a work of fantasy. Therefore, I approached the movie as a fantastical take on what was already pretty fantastical material. I think that in this regard Aronofsky succeeds. I actually wish they would let him do the next Prometheus movie, or let him do the first. I guarantee it would have been more engaging on a character and story level than what we got.

I thought the acting was good all around. I hope Emma Watson is remembered for Supporting Actress. While she was kind of a minor role at first, I thought she did a great job in her scenes toward the end. Kind of cool to think that
Spoiler:
Hermione is the great x 1000 grand mother of all of us.
Old 03-28-14, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Touché
Old 03-28-14, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw this, and thought it was pretty good. I'm a Christian, but one who looks at the early books of the Bible as largely allegorical myth, rather than literal history. At first I thought the Watchers were a little silly, although orthodox Christianity does hold that there are created, sentient beings between God and man, so on a theological level I didn't have a big problem with this (I might have preferred a more original design, though---visually they seemed to be kind of a cross between the Galaxy Quest rock creatures and Treebeard from LOTR.)

I thought the main Christian theme of the pride of men and their rebellion against God was pretty well covered. I liked the premise that there WAS a God who had a plan and did communicate that to Noah, but that it was really difficult for a flawed, imperfect mortal man like Noah to completely grasp what he was really supposed to do. I did like Noah struggling with the idea of whether anyone, including himself, was worth saving.

The King Cain villain was quite well-acted and was a good role. Russell Crowe and Jennifer Connelly were fine, as was all of the cast, I thought. Some great effects and visuals, and a nice unobtrusive score.

What didn't work for me was :

Spoiler:
...I didn't really care for the visuals/concept of Noah and family just living in a barren bunch of dry rocks that didn't even look like there was any food to be found anywhere, and I didn't quite get the sense of the towns of the rest of the people. I didn't like that the forest was magically created just for the ark to be built. From the Biblical story, I always envisioned more of a prosperous, comfortable (yet wicked) town, where they laughed at Noah for building an ark because they were so secure that they didn't believe the world was about to end until it was too late....and that's not really how it was in this movie.

But overall I thought it was a pretty good, and quite creative take on a Biblical epic.
Old 03-28-14, 07:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

IIRC, The Watchers are separate from the Nephilim. The Watchers are a class of angels who slept with human women, which created the Nephilim. I could be misremembering though, it's been a while since I've read Genesis.

As for the film, I do think it was foolish of Paramount to try and market it as a religious movie, if that's what they've done (I've hardly seen any ads so I'm just going off the reactions). Aronofsky clearly wasn't interested in making that kind of movie.
Old 03-28-14, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
If Tyler Perry had starred in 12 YEARS A SLAVE, I would have gone to see it.
Only if it included an Armond White cameo.
Old 03-28-14, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Supermallet
IIRC, The Watchers are separate from the Nephilim. The Watchers are a class of angels who slept with human women, which created the Nephilim. I could be misremembering though, it's been a while since I've read Genesis. As for the film, I do think it was foolish of Paramount to try and market it as a religious movie, if that's what they've done (I've hardly seen any ads so I'm just going off the reactions). Aronofsky clearly wasn't interested in making that kind of movie.
The impression I've received from the ads which I've seen is that they're marketing it as a big Roland Emmerich-type disaster flick.
Old 03-28-14, 08:07 PM
Banned by request

Well if that's the case than the religious folks need to get off their high horse.
Old 03-28-14, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm a practicing Catholic, and I've never for the life of me understood why people get so bent out of shape about this kind of thing. I love The Wire, and I hardly agree with all of David Simon's political views. I think The Last Samurai is a beautifully designed film even if it's historical nonsense. I enjoy the battle scenes in Braveheart, but it hasn't made me hold anti-English sympathies. And I wouldn't watch Oliver Stone's JFK and think it was a history lesson. It's just a movie. Lighten up.
Old 03-28-14, 08:23 PM
Banned by request

I prefer things to be accurate when possible, but Noah is a myth. It's like getting mad at historical inaccuracies in Clash of the Titans.
Old 03-28-14, 10:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LDS..Christian? BAWHAHAHAHAAHHAHA ok
Old 03-28-14, 10:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
The impression I've received from the ads which I've seen is that they're marketing it as a big Roland Emmerich-type disaster flick.
That is what the marketing has seemed like to me as well.
Old 03-29-14, 03:20 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. I've only seen the trailers posted in the movie thread. They didn't seem to be religious. Just big disaster type. I'd like to see the religious marketing ones though.
Old 03-29-14, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
Saw this, and thought it was pretty good. I'm a Christian, but one who looks at the early books of the Bible as largely allegorical myth, rather than literal history.
My biggest fault with the religion is there are some that don't realize that little bit right there.

One of the reviews on Rottentomatoes (Audience review) was literally: These fools shouldn't make a Bible movie if they are going to make a fairy tale. God will not be mocked.

I mean. What do you even do with that.

Strong opening day ($15m) curious to see how fast it drops. It received a "C" Cinemascore - the film earned 63% As or Bs, 23% Cs, and 14% Ds or Fs
Old 03-29-14, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I prefer things to be accurate when possible, but Noah is a myth. It's like getting mad at historical inaccuracies in Clash of the Titans.
The Kraken is a Scandinavian myth an most certainly not a Titan, dammit! And though a Greek character/monster, Medusa was also not a Titan!
Old 03-29-14, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually, in spite of the title, apparently nothing in the film has anything to do with the Titans and it's only tangentially connected to actual Greek myth. Though Lord knows, it was a hell of a lot better than the sequel, good God....
Old 03-29-14, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I'll probably end up seeing this despite all the hoopla on this side and that side. It's easy sometimes to be critical of events in past historical sense especially with "God" in the mix. But the way "God"...whatever one's religion is...is looked at now far differently than back then; especially in the case of Noah and the Book of Genesis.

People might be upset that "God" is not mentioned time after time but this period is not the same as Moses and even when Jesus walked the earth let alone with present day. Hopefully the movie portrays more of what Noah must have gone thru with his family and outright criticism and laughter building a boat in middle of no-where. Being told to build something that resembled the size of a cruise liner based on voices would surely turn everyone against the man who then in turn has to fend off hordes wanting to take his boat all the while the great flood is coming. The one thing I don't want to see is another eco-green we're killing the planet info-commercial movie.
Old 03-29-14, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by K&AJones
The one thing I don't want to see is another eco-green we're killing the planet info-commercial movie.
Seriously. Being eco-conscious really kills my buzz, bro.
Old 03-29-14, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
My biggest fault with the religion is there are some that don't realize that little bit right there.

One of the reviews on Rottentomatoes (Audience review) was literally: These fools shouldn't make a Bible movie if they are going to make a fairy tale. God will not be mocked.

I mean. What do you even do with that.

Strong opening day ($15m) curious to see how fast it drops. It received a "C" Cinemascore - the film earned 63% As or Bs, 23% Cs, and 14% Ds or Fs
Looks like a movie that connects with critics and fans of art movies, but flops with general audiences. A primary reason auteur filmmakers are seldom given large budgets anymore.
Old 03-29-14, 09:15 PM
Banned by request

I loved it. It's deeply moving and very spiritual. Anyone who gets up in arms about this movie not being religious enough or biblical enough either hasn't seen it or has their head completely up their own ass. Russell Crowe was tremendous. I was moved to tears several times throughout.

Also, the movie never used the word "god" but "creator" is used over and over and over and is clearly referring to the Judeo-Christian conception of god.
Old 03-29-14, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Sgtsnake
LDS..Christian? BAWHAHAHAHAAHHAHA ok
They borrowed crap from other crap, but it's all the same crap.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.