Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Grudge -- reboot (2020, D: Nicolas Pesce) S: Bichir, Riseborough

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Grudge -- reboot (2020, D: Nicolas Pesce) S: Bichir, Riseborough

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-17, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
re: The Grudge -- reboot (2020, D: Nicolas Pesce) S: Bichir, Riseborough

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
So that's why we're getting more. It's like you answered your own question, but then act confused by the obviousness of it.
He'll be more confused to why you're replying to a post he made over 3 years ago.
Old 07-06-17, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
He'll be more confused to why you're replying to a post he made over 3 years ago.

It's just funny that Mike is confused by studio decisions when they don't appeal to his taste. It's okay if you didn't like the American Grudge movie, I didn't. But there's nothing confusing about why they'd try to recapture the amazing profits of it.
Old 07-07-17, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No SMG, no sale!
Old 07-07-17, 12:05 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

This time around SMG can play the mother.
Old 07-07-17, 12:07 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I'd fuck that mother.

Old 07-07-17, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Even though Takashi Shimizu directed the American remake, he couldn't recapture the creepy atmosphere of the Japanese films, which is really what made them work. He did another film called Marebito which I remember being similarly creepy and atmospheric, but I don't see it mentioned much in horror circles.
Old 07-07-17, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Even though Takashi Shimizu directed the American remake, he couldn't recapture the creepy atmosphere of the Japanese films, which is really what made them work.
While the remake isn't perfect I've experienced some of the greatest audience reactions watching The Grudge at the theater. I did notice the scary parts lose some impact on home video though.
Old 07-07-17, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hbilly
While the remake isn't perfect I've experienced some of the greatest audience reactions watching The Grudge at the theater. I did notice the scary parts lose some impact on home video though.
No doubt. And I commend Columbia for hiring Shimizu and setting the film in Japan for a sort of Lost in Translation feel. The entire point is to make money in America, so it's understandable that they'd attempt to make the film more digestible to American audiences. But it makes sense that those stylistic shifts wouldn't appeal to viewers who sought out and appreciated the Japanese films. Personally, I'm happy with a renewed investment in the Grudge series if it eventually leads to BD releases of the Japanese films in region one.
Old 03-15-18, 12:41 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Demian Bichir and Andrea Riseborough will star in Sony’s new take on the horror classic “The Grudge.”

Nicolas Pesce is on board to direct from his own script.

Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions recently picked up worldwide rights to the film. SPWA, Ghost House, and Good Universe last collaborated on the hit thriller “Don’t Breathe.”

Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert will produce for Ghost House, with Nathan Kahane and Erin Westerman executive producing for Good Universe alongside Schuyler Weiss, Roy Lee, and Doug Davison. Romel Adam will oversee the movie for Ghost House and Brady Fujikawa for Good Universe. The pic will begin shooting in May.

“We are so excited about this new adaptation,” Raimi said. “We went back to the original source material to deliver a relentless supernatural thrill ride that explores the horrors of American suburbia.”

The first film hit theaters in 2004 — a time when Hollywood was remaking numerous Japanese horror films, including “The Ring.” The original adaptation starred Sarah Michelle Gellar and went on to gross $187.3 million worldwide on a $10 million budget.

Riseborough most recently starred in “Battle of the Sexes” and will next be seen in the upcoming Amazon series “Zero Zero Zero.” She is represented by CAA, Untitled Entertainment, and Independent Talent Group.

In addition to his film credits, Bichir will be starring in ABC’s “The Grand Hotel,” which he will produce alongside co-star Eva Longoria. He is represented by CAA.

Pesce is represented by 360, UTA, and Nelson Davis LLP.
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/gr...gh-1202727466/
Old 03-15-18, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I see this going the same way as Rings.
Old 03-22-18, 08:14 AM

Lin Shaye, who is best known as the medium Elise in the “Insidious” franchise, is moving over to a new horror classic. She is set to join Sony’s “The Grudge” reimagining.

Andrea Riseborough and Demian Bichir will star in the new movie, with John Cho also on board.

Nicolas Pesce is directing the horror pic from his own script.

Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions recently nabbed worldwide rights to the film. SPWA, Ghost House, and Good Universe last collaborated on Fede Alvarez’s hit thriller “Don’t Breathe.”

Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert will produce the movie for Ghost House, with Nathan Kahane and Erin Westerman executive producing for Good Universe alongside Schuyler Weiss, Roy Lee, Doug Davison, John Middleton and Andrew Pfeffer. Romel Adam will oversee the movie for Ghost House and Brady Fujikawa for Good Universe. The pic will begin shooting in May.
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/gr...ye-1202732620/
Old 01-28-19, 11:57 AM

Nicholas Pesce’s Screen Gems remake of cult movie Grudge will no longer be popping up on June 21 as planned, rather Jan. 3 next year.
https://deadline.com/2019/01/screen-...H607pgaX5c-9NA
Old 01-28-19, 03:03 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: The Grudge -- reboot (2020, D: Nicolas Pesce) S: Bichir, Riseborough

Originally Posted by Groucho
Has there been a Ju-on / Ringu crossover yet?
Once again I was ahead of the curve:

Old 10-10-19, 02:29 PM

Sixteen years is a long time to hold a grudge, but that’s exactly what Sam Raimi‘s Ghost House Pictures has done. The latest installment in the American franchise, which began with a remake of Takashi Shimizu’s Ju-On: The Grudge back in 2004, is coming and in an exclusive new interview with the movie’s director and co-writer Nicolas Pesce (The Eyes of My Mother), we’ve confirmed that, even though the new film is also called The Grudge, “It’s not a sequel, it’s not a remake.”

“This movie takes place at the exact same time that the Sarah Michelle Gellar Grudge takes place,” Nicolas Pesce confirms.

“So Sarah Michelle Gellar is doing her thing in Japan, and this is what’s happening in America at that same time.

“So for people who know the old movies, American and Japanese, super well, they’ll see fun ways that we’ve connected it into the mythology and into the story and storylines that existed, while still making a totally separate story that, for all the people who haven’t seen the Grudge movies, this will still make sense to them,” Pesce adds.

Again, unlike the original American remake of The Grudge, this new film does not take place in Japan, but rather in “a small town in suburban America.” Pesce adds that the new locale will have an impact on the horrifying events, the new extension of the mythology, and even the way the ghosts look.

“Aesthetically, it’s a lot closer to the original Japanese films than the American ones, which made it a bit slicker,” Pesce says. “Is it in a Japanese house? No, but we tried to keep all of the same techniques and ways that they shot the house, and keeping it claustrophobic. So stylistically we tried to pull from what those old Japanese films were doing, but obviously setting it in different locations.

“I think the biggest difference in changing the location is, you know, Japan has certain folklore touchstones that mean a lot in Japan that don’t translate the same way [in America]. For instance, the Japanese ghosts in the original films are inspired by kabuki makeup, and cats have a very different context in Japan than they do in America,” Pesce continues.

“So what we tried to do was, you’re going to see a lot of odes to what they had done, but trying to bring it into an American folklore context. Not stray too far from what the old Grudge films had done but just sort of recontextualize it into a more American mindset when it comes to folklore. I don’t want to spoil too much but it’s not all gone. It’s just kind of converted,” Pesce says.

It’s an approach that makes sense for Pesce. The director explained to Bloody-Disgusting that his favorite films in the series were the originals, before Ju-On: The Grudge came out and redefined the series.

“I’ve always loved particularly the original Japanese franchise, particularly the earliest of the movies. So Ju-On: The Curse. People always think The Grudge is the first one but it’s actually the third one,” Pesce reminds us.

“To me, those first couple of movies, because they were done with such a lo-fi style, there’s something that feels almost home movie-ish about them, and as a result it’s so much scarier, being so grounded and so realistic,” Pesce says. “The ghosts aren’t totally done up. It’s not a big prosthetic thing. The ghosts feel like real people. Everything just feels so real and that is something that I always connected with, and liked, that they were a little grittier, a little rougher around the edges, not so slick. Because of all that they were so much scarier to me.”

“So that’s what I really fell in love with. And kind of the sprawling nature of it. All of the Japanese films are an anthology rather than sequels of each other. Every movie is a different story with different characters, based on a different crime. So I just loved the sort of, like, there’s a canon here. There’s a mythos, and each movie adds new pieces into that mythology,” Pesce says.

“So that those were all the places that I came at this film from. Being super grounded and basing it in realism, and just wanting to add a new installment into this anthology,” the director concludes.

But what about that OTHER installment in the anthology? The Japanese version of the Grudge franchise recently crossed over with another long-running, influential horror franchise, The Ring. Could Nicolas Pesce’s The Grudge set-up a crossover with Gore Verbinski’s American version of The Ring?

“It would certainly be fun,” Pesce laughs. “And a bizarre clash of cinematic styles. It would definitely be an interesting one. I’m trying to think who would win. You know, it would be a good matchup. I don’t even know.

“I think that was a really good example of how you can step outside of canon without ruining everything. Definitely this [Pesce’s The Grudge] versus Gore Verbinski’s Ring would be a very strange movie, and you’ll know why when you see my Grudge. But it would be fun!” the filmmaker concludes.

You’ll be able to see Nicolas Pesce’s The Grudge, starring Andrea Riseborough, John Cho, Lin Shaye, Betty Gilpin and Jacki Weaver, in theaters on January 3, 2020!
https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3...ion-exclusive/

Old 10-28-19, 08:59 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iEc8yzOYWyI" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Grudge, directed by Nicolas Pesce and produced by Sam Raimi. Set in the United States, the movie follows a detective (Andrea Riseborough) who investigates a serious of suspicious deaths all stemming from one house. The 2020 Grudge reboot also stars John Cho, Andrea Riseborough, Betty Gilpin, Lin Shaye and Demian Bichir. The Grudge hits theaters on January 3rd in the United States, January 9th in Australia and January 31st in the UK.
Old 10-28-19, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I still find The Grudge w/ SMG to be incredibly creepy at times. I'm glad to see them go for the R rating on this one.
Old 12-10-19, 09:22 AM

<iframe width="638" height="359" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eVA5B2YW3qA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-31-19, 11:11 AM

This opens Thursday night. Starting of the New Year with a bang!
Old 12-31-19, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably watching the wrong channels, but haven't seen a single TV spot.
Old 01-03-20, 06:42 AM

Yikes: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_grudge_2020/
Old 01-03-20, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

I was thinking of seeing it since there isn't many new movies. I was hopeful.

I guess not, now.
Old 01-03-20, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Not a huge surprise. Seems like the beginning of the year has become a bit of a dumping ground for shitty horror movies.
Old 01-03-20, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Not a huge surprise. Seems like the beginning of the year has become a bit of a dumping ground for shitty horror movies.
It definitely makes sense. I read in an article recently that said that because these films are released to open the year, they aren't (initially) screened to critics.

I was a fan of Nicolas Pesce's previous films. Hearing he was both behind the screenplay as well as the lens, had me a bit hopeful but some of those reviews are brutal.
Old 01-03-20, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Cancelled my A-List ticket for tomorrow. Stuckmann reviewed it yesterday and said it sucked and the 20% audience score shows that those who saw it last night also thought it sucked.

I liked Ju-on and The Grudge U.S. updates and was open to seeing those, but it sounds like it really does suck.

Old 01-03-20, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Up to 22%, seems like it's better than The Grudge 2 (US) but not quite up to The Grudge (US).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.