Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
20.71%
42.14%
24.29%
6.43%
4.29%
1.43%
0.71%
0%
0%
0%
0%
Captain America: The Crimean Soldier
0%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-14, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

3D has too many variables for it to fully work: you need to have a screen so big or sit at such a close distance to the screen that you don't have any peripheral vision that is outside the film edge, you need the 3d portion of the image to have enough depth and perspective to match real life angles of perception, and you do need some speed to prevent yourself from realizing it isn't truly 3D.

In Gravity,
Spoiler:
the sequence where bullock is hurrying to remove the parachute and peeks at the incoming debris was shot and composited in a way that the depth of the objects in the screen felt like you were peeking from behind and that final peek hits you when the debris rushes towards you

Easily the best 3d I can remember since Avatar
Old 04-11-14, 07:17 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Russo & Russo, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

I was seeing this in Imax regardless of of 2D or 3D because the sound is so good it drowns out any talkers or heavy mouth breathers.
Old 04-11-14, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Giles
yup... while there were a couple of decent 3D scenes - like at the end where you get this great sense of depth - looking down into the Potomac River and off the edges of the ships (and the SHIELD building), I think that on the whole I could have lived without seeing it in 3D - but hey for $3.75 - why not?
I have occasionally seen movies where the sequences designed for 3-D were blatantly obvious (the Minions antics in Despicable Me, etc.) but in this case, with the possible exception of
Spoiler:
the carrier crash, which looked like a significant amount of CG elements composited
, there really wasn't much of anything which stood out.

Some of the action scenes were too fast to convey the dimensionality that 3D films need to achieve and give what the audience expects.
The did occasionally indulge in way too much fast-cutting. Most of the action sequences weren't quite as ramped up as the usual blockbuster fare until towards the end though.

However, the Uptown theater's system was kind of buggy - the image looked a bit dark, there was some odd cropping going on, and while I would have liked to have heard it in Dolby Atmos - the 5.1 soundmix was just okay. the story though was great - I definitely thought it was better than the first film.
I really do wish they'd have someone up in that booth as a projectionist, or at least that someone in the audience would go and complain. All that sophisticated equipment and the imagine is cropped? That's disappointing. Not quite sure what kind of sound mix the version I saw had-presumably just regular 5.1 too. I didn't get a very good seat, so I was up on the corner.
Old 04-11-14, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 957 Posts

In retrospect, and I don't know if this happened everywhere, but at my ArcLight Theater, when I saw the film, I noticed that you could see the letterbox bars at the bottom and the top of the giant screen. This was a 2-D version. I don't think that's ever happened. Normally the theater just masks the aspect ratio with the curtains if it's 1.85:1 or 2.35:1. In my screening the curtains looked to have been pulled all the way and the image itself had the bars at the top and bottom. Nothing was distorted, though.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 04-11-14 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-11-14, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,314 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by JoellHamby
I'm curious..
Yellow?
Old 04-11-14, 12:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
In retrospect, and I don't know if this happened everywhere, but at my ArcLight Theater, when I saw the film, I noticed that you could see the letterbox bars at the bottom and the top of the giant screen. This was a 2-D version. I don't think that's ever happened. Normally the theater just masks the aspect ratio with the curtains if it's 1.85:1 or 2.35:1. In my screening the curtains looked to have been pulled all the way and the image itself had the bars at the top and bottom. Nothing was distorted, though.

question though since the Uptown's screen is very similar to the Cinerama screen at the Arclight is that the image bows up at the bottom corners since the screen is curved towards the audience - is the image at the Arclight centered properly AND unbowed (slight fish bowled look) at the bottom left and right corners of the screen? Seattle's Cinerama screen also curves, but from what I've heard is that if it's not a 35mm/70mm/Cinerama feature, another flatter screen is used that doesn't create the curved anomaly. I don't why this happened since 'Monuments Men' another 2.35 film didn't appear to be wildly disporportioned.
Old 04-11-14, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

question though since the Uptown's screen is very similar to the Cinerama screen at the Arclight is that the image bows up at the bottom corners since the screen is curved towards the audience - is the image at the Arclight centered properly AND unbowed (slight fish bowled look) at the bottom left and right corners of the screen? Seattle's Cinerama screen also curves, but from what I've heard is that if it's not a 35mm/70mm/Cinerama feature, another flatter screen is used that doesn't create the curved anomaly. I don't why this happened since 'Monuments Men' another 2.35 film didn't appear to be wildly disporportioned.
I don't know. I actually saw it at a non-Hollywood ArcLight. Our screen was huge, which is why I said giant. Sorry about the confusion. As far as I know about the Cinerama dome screen (from the few films that I've seen on it) it's slightly curved.

Our screen was normal and flat. It never looked curved, distorted, or anything. It just had bars at the top and bottom.
Old 04-11-14, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 302 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Yellow?
Nope Blue.

It is Captain America after all...
Old 04-11-14, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Took half day off and saw it this morning.

I'd say it was good but not great - up there with IM3 and Thor 2. I felt like it needed a bit more humor and CA was a bit boring tho other characters were good. I liked the mid credit scene.

Solid B from me.
Old 04-11-14, 07:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nope, the Cinerama Dome shows clear bowing at the bottom. Drives me nuts and I almost never see movies in the Dome because of it.
Old 04-12-14, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There can't be very many Cinerama locations left in the world, are there?
Old 04-13-14, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 316 Posts

Saw this again yesterday with a big group of friends. Just as fun as the first time I saw it!

I still felt that some of the action scenes felt too separated from their environments (empty streets), but that's just me nitpicking.
Old 04-13-14, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this yesterday against my better judgment even though I was already at the point where I'd be perfectly happy never watching another superhero movie in my lifetime. "The reviews are so good! There has to be more than CGI and explosions and plots for world domination and transparently treacherous masterminds and face-punching that doesn't leave bruises and good guys surviving impossible-to-survive things!" I told myself.

Never again.
Old 04-13-14, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Saw this yesterday against my better judgment even though I was already at the point where I'd be perfectly happy never watching another superhero movie in my lifetime. "The reviews are so good! There has to be more than CGI and explosions and plots for world domination and transparently treacherous masterminds and face-punching that doesn't leave bruises and good guys surviving impossible-to-survive things!" I told myself.

Never again.
You're old.
Old 04-13-14, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 390 Likes on 277 Posts

Never again.
Well now I want to see a Marvel movie that takes a chance and caters to you. I'm sure their a suitable existing story arc out there. Superhero has a brief time of success. Then gets his face mashed, is arrested for being a vigilante, escapes on bail, and goes into hiding. As he grows old, he spends his days reading books and ignoring the kidney, liver and heart disease. Only to some day die. Sad and alone.
Old 04-13-14, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never again.
It's nice when you can anticipate how much you'll dislike a movie. maybe you should submit a screenplay for a new kind of superhero movie. First there will be no evil villain, then have a superhero that is as easily hurt and injured as regular people. very important there is no CGI or explosions. Maybe a shoplifter that our hero can go after as soon as his hemorrhoids die down.
Old 04-13-14, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Never again.
Vagina-Man
Old 04-13-14, 07:42 PM

Received 847 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
It's nice when you can anticipate how much you'll dislike a movie. maybe you should submit a screenplay for a new kind of superhero movie. First there will be no evil villain, then have a superhero that is as easily hurt and injured as regular people. very important there is no CGI or explosions. Maybe a shoplifter that our hero can go after as soon as his hemorrhoids die down.
Starring Bruce Willis.
Old 04-13-14, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should've known better than to say anything negative about a comic book movie on the internet.

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Well now I want to see a Marvel movie that takes a chance and caters to you. I'm sure their a suitable existing story arc out there. Superhero has a brief time of success. Then gets his face mashed, is arrested for being a vigilante, escapes on bail, and goes into hiding. As he grows old, he spends his days reading books and ignoring the kidney, liver and heart disease. Only to some day die. Sad and alone.
That sounds awesome, but I'm not asking for a superhero movie that "caters to me." Some minor spark of originality or inspiration would be nice, I admit, but I have no expectation of it at this point.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
You're old.
Yes I am.
Old 04-13-14, 10:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
There can't be very many Cinerama locations left in the world, are there?
I think only the Seattle Cinerama and the Pictureville Cinema, in Bradford (UK) are the only two that can show "three projector Cinerama features". But there are still theaters that have the large curved screens that did show Cinerama features:

Arclight Dome
Washington DC's Uptown Theater

I'm sure there are others... ??
Old 04-13-14, 10:29 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

There used to be one in Salt Lake City, until a few years ago when it became a carpet store.
Old 04-13-14, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I should've known better than to say anything negative about a comic book movie on the internet.
Plenty of shitty comic book movies that people complain about, this just happens to be one of the better ones. I'm surprised that you still feel so negatively about it, since I think many would agree that out of all the super hero movies out there this one was probably as non-typical as far as the plot goes since there's parts conspiracy and political thriller in there.
Old 04-14-14, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw this yesterday against my better judgment even though I was already at the point where I'd be perfectly happy never watching another superhero movie in my lifetime. "The reviews are so good! There has to be more than CGI and explosions and plots for world domination and transparently treacherous masterminds and face-punching that doesn't leave bruises and good guys surviving impossible-to-survive things!" I told myself. Never again.
Superhero comics 101: nothing ever changes. You get the illusion of change, but nothing EVER really changes, and if a writer comes along who tries to shake things up, they'll change it back later. The film franchise is the same. There can be cosmetic changes or nominal injections of a different genre, but there's too much money on the line for anything really challenging.

That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. It injected a new genre-the espionage stuff-into the superhero stuff, the performances were good, and I had lots of fun with it.
Old 04-14-14, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 434 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
Old 04-14-14, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Never again.
Super hero movies are not for everyone and that is okay.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.