Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alien: Covenant (Prometheus 2) (D: Scott) S: Fassbender

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alien: Covenant (Prometheus 2) (D: Scott) S: Fassbender

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-17, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus 2) (D: Scott) S: Fassbender

Yeah, I think that was one of them.
Old 04-28-17, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

AVP aside, hasn't the concept of the Aliens being worshipped as gods and having religious overtones been in the comics quite a bit? A lot of the religious overtones got removed from the famous Vince award draft of the third film.
Old 04-29-17, 03:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
AVP aside, hasn't the concept of the Aliens being worshipped as gods and having religious overtones been in the comics quite a bit? A lot of the religious overtones got removed from the famous Vince award draft of the third film.
Who care? The original version of Star Wars isn't available on home video!
Old 05-06-17, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

The 10 minute preview that was shown at CinemaCon is out there. It's basically two scenes....the landing, and the back-burster. Looks pretty lean and mean....and seems clear this will rocket past Alien 3 for the most language and gore in the series. I have mixed feelings about that... those elements didn't need to be 'upped'...it still comes down to the story and characters.

Better news...the score has returned to some of Goldsmith's themes! Very atmospheric....link here:
http://www.alien-covenant.com/soundtrack.mp3
Old 05-07-17, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Negative review: http://io9.gizmodo.com/alien-covenan...647.1484253934
Old 05-07-17, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Mendelson liked it.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottme.../#442ede181ffa
Old 05-07-17, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sitting at 79% on Rotten Tomatoes with 24 reviews.
Old 05-07-17, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

I'm going to avoid the reviews and clips from here on out. That means I am not sure what those positives and negatives are based on.

However, let me ask this ... what is the "bar" you are using for this movie? Are you holding it to the standards set by Alien and Aliens? Or are you holding it up against the drek and saying as long as it isn't as bad as (chose your sliding scale -- AVP -- AVP:Reqiuem -- Prometheus) then you will say it is good?
Old 05-07-17, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It'd be foolish to hold it up to the same standards as the first two movies. I just want to see a scary Alien movie that makes up for Prometheus. Some critics have described it as "Friday the 13th in space," and honestly, I'm fine with that.
Old 05-07-17, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Some critics have described it as "Friday the 13th in space," and honestly, I'm fine with that.
Didn't they already make that movie?
Old 05-07-17, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

That's cool that it's sounding like it's at least a fun movie.

From what I've read about the possible plot...
Spoiler:
if David really did help create the bio-mech xenomorphs that we see in Alien and Aliens, that would really take away from the aura those things.

Oh yeah, the ABCD/Ash, Bishop, Call, David...Walter???? is really a thing. One of the reviewers listed at Rotten Tomatoes mentioned it.
Old 05-07-17, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
From what I've read about the possible plot...
Spoiler:
if David really did help create the bio-mech xenomorphs that we see in Alien and Aliens, that would really take away from the aura those things.
That's one thing that I really isliked about Prometheus, that it gave all of this backstory to the Space Jockeys.

The more we know about these things, the Aliens and the Space Jockeys, it completely desmystifies them. These things are so much more frightening and interesting when we don't know what they are or where they came from. Are they animals or machines? Engineered bioweapons or naturally evolved super-predators? Were the Space Jockeys there creators, their victims, or their prey?
Old 05-07-17, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
The more we know about these things, the Aliens and the Space Jockeys, it completely desmystifies them. These things are so much more frightening and interesting when we don't know what they are or where they came from.
I agree.
Old 05-07-17, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

That's one thing that I really isliked about Prometheus, that it gave all of this backstory to the Space Jockeys.

The more we know about these things, the Aliens and the Space Jockeys, it completely desmystifies them. These things are so much more frightening and interesting when we don't know what they are or where they came from. Are they animals or machines? Engineered bioweapons or naturally evolved super-predators? Were the Space Jockeys there creators, their victims, or their prey?
Originally Posted by inri222
I agree.
This is my issue with most prequels, sometimes you just don't need or want answers to some questions.
Old 05-07-17, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I always figured they were simply predatory creatures from another planet. Like a horrifying and grounded version of goofy 50's sci-fi monsters. Giving them an origin didn't change anything for me.

I still really like Prometheus. It's really pretty. It's good sci-fi entertainment. The low point is still how casual everyone was about handling extraterrestrial goo and overall lack of safety restraint from a group of people who just traveled very far to get there.
Old 05-08-17, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I always assumed it was the Space Jockey who found the Alien's, they were moving them, the ship crashed and the eggs stayed there. I was never that interested in the story about why they exist and I think that's one of the problems with these prequels. They seem to think the story is more fascinating then it is.

I'm still hoping to enjoy this though. I'm not expecting anything more than a slasher movie in space and don't see it being worse than Prometheus.
Old 05-08-17, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I always figured they were simply predatory creatures from another planet. Like a horrifying and grounded version of goofy 50's sci-fi monsters. Giving them an origin didn't change anything for me.

I still really like Prometheus. It's really pretty. It's good sci-fi entertainment. The low point is still how casual everyone was about handling extraterrestrial goo and overall lack of safety restraint from a group of people who just traveled very far to get there.
Yup; this is the camp I am in. Apparently Fox feels that there is more money to be made with this prequel stuff vs. a straight up Aliens sequel.
Old 05-08-17, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I think I'll also avoid reviews until I see it ,since it is skewing slightly positive for now. My only issue is that Prometheus started as something intriguing and then turned into a half-assed horror movie in space with people acting stupid. This one looks like it's just a straight up horror movie in space, but still has people acting stupid! Is it imperative for horror movie people to be stupid?
Unsurprisingly, Danny McBride seems to be the actor getting the most praise . I find him entertaining in just about anything.
Old 05-08-17, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Alien: Covenant Review | An Essay on Why Ridley Scott Shouldn’t Make Alien Films Anymore

https://shotguncinema.com/2017/05/08...films-anymore/
Old 05-08-17, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I remember when the term "Alien" used to mean otherworldly and unknown. Now it apparently has come to mean "let me explain everything for you..."
Old 05-08-17, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The early reviews have me interested, my coworker and I are talking about catching an early showing on release day.
Old 05-08-17, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
I always assumed it was the Space Jockey who found the Alien's, they were moving them, the ship crashed and the eggs stayed there. I was never that interested in the story about why they exist and I think that's one of the problems with these prequels. They seem to think the story is more fascinating then it is.

I'm still hoping to enjoy this though. I'm not expecting anything more than a slasher movie in space and don't see it being worse than Prometheus.
If you watch the directors cut of Alien, you can sort of get a sense that the Space Jockey ship picked up an alien egg somewhere, the pilot got infected, and the resulting xenomorph turned the ship's crew into eggs.

But the theatrical cut is much more ambiguous about everything, and is better for it.
Old 05-08-17, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm a firm believer that sometimes less is more.
Old 05-08-17, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

If you watch the directors cut of Alien, you can sort of get a sense that the Space Jockey ship picked up an alien egg somewhere, the pilot got infected, and the resulting xenomorph turned the ship's crew into eggs.

But the theatrical cut is much more ambiguous about everything, and is better for it.
I was going to walk away from my controversial assertions, but thank you for providing evidence Josh. This was one of Ridley's bizarre ideas that I just recently learned about. Most people have seen the deleted scene with Dallas being cocooned and assumed, logically, that the Alien was going to use the surviving crew members as hosts for more spawn. Maybe they were just a food source. Oh no, no, no ... Ridley contends the people were actually being turned into eggs. People ... Turning into ... Eggs ...
Old 05-09-17, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

http://uproxx.com/movies/alien-covenant-review/

‘Alien: Covenant’ Is A Good ‘Alien’ Movie, Until It Becomes ‘Prometheus 2’

But it’s now weird to go back to the original Alien – a masterpiece of horror and science fiction – to now know the alien that’s terrorizing everyone exists because a robot was bored.
The Alien movies have a lot in common with the Terminator movies. What started out as a simple, “let’s run away from this scary thing,” are now so bogged down in their own mythology of why these scary things exist, it’s almost unrecognizable.
Look, Scott obviously still has a lot he wants to say about the mythology of Alien – wrapped up in a creator complex story featuring a bored robot – and that’s what he’s going to do. The title of the movie has been changed back to Alien, but this is very much a Prometheus movie. And if you didn’t like Prometheus, there’s a good chance you won’t like Alien: Covenant either. (In turn, if you did like Prometheus, boy, do I have some good news for you.)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.